Page 75 of 99 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2451
    Way to stick it out to the bitter end Plug. I hope you and Kedar have a good rip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1624601605.448821.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	377889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2924.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	377890

Still some fun corn out there.

Beautiful evening.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

It’s a hard no from me and most Baker locals on any huts in this region unless it’s done by a nonprofit similar to what The Canadian Alpine club has done. None of these huts will increase access for anyone other than their clients. Heliotrope and Anderson Watson will only create user conflicts between the hut clients and the other user groups that have traditionally used those areas in the winter. The only people that will benefit from these proposals are the hut owners. There is simply no benefit to the general public. It’s also worth noting that the first thing any commercial operation does is to try to protect “their” turf, they will do their best to try to keep non clients from accessing “their” terrain.

That being said I’d be very for a nonprofit focused on increasing access getting some of the roads to the north of 542 unlocked for winter access and putting a hut up there. It’s better ski terrain, not bordering a wilderness area and would help decrease congestion the typical areas instead of increasing it like these proposals would. Plus those areas have less issues with high snowlines. All 3 existing proposals have very limited winter parking and add to it the extra vehicles for the huts and it’s going to be a huge issue for day skiers.

Regardless of what entity it is, it needs some semblance of being community supported. Doesn't mean you need 100% support, but you need more than 0. In the case of the huts at North Twin, Watson/Anderson Lakes, and Heliotrope, I don't have any direct skin in the game but completely respect the effort and feedback process they are going through. Make a proposal, get feedback, proceed based on that feedback. If you can get the community on board, more power to you. If not, then tough shit. Maybe that's a bit idealized but at least it's a reasonable process.

With respect to Fortune Creek, I'm not personally against the owners or drivers of the project, I don't believe they started with any bad intentions. I've also worked in plenty of commercial operations on public land that had push back about how things were done, and experienced those disagreements. But I can't imagine operating a hut knowing how strongly opposed everyone in the area was to my operation. This would be an operation that only got off the ground because it was sneaked past the public comment period, and you'd have to start your guests in the overcrowded sno park full of the same people you pulled a fast one on. What is the point of that? If you're willing to ride that train for your own self gain, it's going to be a deservedly bumpy ride.

I'm just curious how it was sneaked past the public comment period? It's not Fortune Creek's job to follow the rules, it is the Forest Service's job to make sure they are following their own rules. If it's true the Forest Service did not go through the proper notice and comment procedure for this outfit, then someone can and likely will sue. The local slednecks who are against it should just call up the Sierra Club or Wilderness Watch and sick them on it.

From my review, it looks like the hut is on National Forest land, not private property. Not wilderness land, but National Forest land. If it was on private land, the rules are different. Since it is on National Forest land, and they plan on commercially guiding on wilderness land, I assume it needs to go through all the proper notice and comment procedures.

I guess I'll put a short pile o' pics in doggie stoke, but there aren't gaps yet, and skiing is surprisingly very good.
    Kedar is tired of waiting:

Name:	Kedar #2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	377949

I was going to cut over early, but he knew to follow the skin track, (but not in it).

Name:	Skintrack.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	801.4 KB 
ID:	377950

He's pretty amazing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I guess I'll put a short pile o' pics in doggie stoke, but there aren't gaps yet, and skiing is surprisingly very good.
    Kedar is tired of waiting:

Name:	Kedar #2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	884.8 KB 
ID:	377949

I was going to cut over early, but he knew to follow the skin track, (but not in it).

He's pretty amazing.
    Well done you two well done

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Sun cups are in play, pretty good for almost July though.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Friends talked me into going today. Sun cups were kind of brutal but 1500 feet of vertical is pretty fun on a hot day. Only one gap:

Name:	Image1624825689.128606.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	735.0 KB 
ID:	378103

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I'm just curious how it was sneaked past the public comment period? It's not Fortune Creek's job to follow the rules, it is the Forest Service's job to make sure they are following their own rules. If it's true the Forest Service did not go through the proper notice and comment procedure for this outfit, then someone can and likely will sue. The local slednecks who are against it should just call up the Sierra Club or Wilderness Watch and sick them on it.

From my review, it looks like the hut is on National Forest land, not private property. Not wilderness land, but National Forest land. If it was on private land, the rules are different. Since it is on National Forest land, and they plan on commercially guiding on wilderness land, I assume it needs to go through all the proper notice and comment procedures.
    No one can say why the required public comment period was skipped, which is why it is being challenged. Fortune Creek may or may not legally prevail, but winning a legal argument against the local community in order to start your business in their backyard is not a great way to start. The people with concerns are not a fringe save the endangered owls type deal, it's everyone who currently uses the area.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post

He's pretty amazing.
    Aaaaah, that warms my cold heart. Maybe I too will get to do that with my old doggies before the end. Good on you PB's
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If anybody here had Kedar they'd do the same thing. Well except for...

Amid heat wave, Seattle climbers became first team to summit and ski 5 Washington volcanoes in 5 days

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/ou...oes-in-5-days/

Some potential good news.

https://komonews.com/news/local/la-n...r-in-northwest

Amid heat wave, Seattle climbers became first team to summit and ski 5 Washington volcanoes in 5 days

Jesus. Talk about a suffer fest

What do people think of the Varden creek fire on Silver Star? Looks like it will burn out the entire north side of Silver Star. Sucks that Highway 20 is closed and will likely be closed for most of summer. But with the trees thinned the north side of Silver Star, this area may be the premier backcountry destination in Washington, with good skiing right down to the highway. And you can typically drive to the approach mid-winter.

https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissur...dland_fire.txt

A lot of times when I read these “ first to...” about people skiing or climbing something around here I can’t not laugh, I’ve seen people post up about how they where the first on terrain we were skiing twenty-thirty years ago when nobody really even knew what Ski touring was difference was we didn’t have social media to blab to the world about what we did and pat ourselves on the back or do all the dick waving that white dudes in this sport need to do
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    A lot of times when I read these “ first to...” about people skiing or climbing something around here I can’t not laugh, I’ve seen people post up about how they where the first on terrain we were skiing twenty-thirty years ago when nobody really even knew what Ski touring was difference was we didn’t have social media to blab to the world about what we did and pat ourselves on the back or do all the dick waving that white dudes in this sport need to do
    I mean, it's a little bit contrived, and I bet those dudes would admit it. But like Ed Viesturs said, maybe some of us were just born too late. Traverses and epic sufferfests are the FAs of our time. Not that anyone cares about FAs in 2021...

Most people reading the article probably didn't even know there were 5 volcanoes in WA.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Are you suggesting that someone else has done this before?

It sounds to me like a fucking brutal goal to attempt this let alone do it.

At the same time Cody gets fellated for his YouTube channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Are you suggesting that someone else has done this before?

It sounds to me like a fucking brutal goal to attempt this let alone do it.

At the same time Cody gets fellated for his YouTube channel.
    The first to do the 5 in 5 were 5 police officers from cle elum or near-by. They didn't have skis so if you ask me that's extra credit . I think they ended up turning back halfway up the last one due to weather. I'm sure some of the details are different but Yada yada

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    The first to do the 5 in 5 were 5 police officers from cle elum or near-by. They didn't have skis so if you ask me that's extra credit . I think they ended up turning back halfway up the last one due to weather. I'm sure some of the details are different but Yada yada

Extra credit indeed. Unimaginable to contemplate doing that on foot

I need to lay down and rest just thinking about either attempt.

It sounds like they weren't the first to do it though.

So congratulations to Trevor & Scott.

I did just watch Cody's "only" an $80k van conversion.

The 5 in 5 might be a better watch if they made one.

Scott did a video blog about it on his social media but I think it timed out. $80k will get you a lot of hotel rooms with showers, real beds, and other cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Scott did a video blog about it on his social media but I think it timed out. $80k will get you a lot of hotel rooms with showers, real beds, and other cool things.
    Cool. If anyone has a working link please share.

PSA - HWY 20 is indefinitely closed just East of Washington Pass. If you're headed to the Methow Valley, you need to take HWY 2 or I-90 and hope you can get past the Red Apple fire near Wenatchee. A big section of USFS land is also closed to any hiking/climbing/skiing. See attached map of the current closure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	219174065_107657311600362_8317101962392271385_n.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	781.2 KB 
ID:	379656

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I mean, it's a little bit contrived, and I bet those dudes would admit it. But like Ed Viesturs said, maybe some of us were just born too late. Traverses and epic sufferfests are the FAs of our time. Not that anyone cares about FAs in 2021...

Most people reading the article probably didn't even know there were 5 volcanoes in WA.

If we’re counting extinct volcanoes, there’s six