Page 84 of 96 FirstFirst ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2384
  1. #2076
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    6,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It sure would be nice if the Puget Sound population had more access to snow and another day ski area.

    Again and for the umpteenth time, it's compl3333tly bizarre how the electorate grants destruction to millions and millions of acres of timber and mining land in the PNW, but a ski area is such an environmental horror.
    I'm not sure it's shocking, I bet most people's interaction with the mountains is on I90 and US2. I could see from that perspective why it might seem like there's more than enough ski area usage of our lands.

    Even for me I have a bit of a dead zone in my mind's eye about the mountains on the west side between US2 and 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I donít think you know what youíre talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing. There are urban growth boundaries and agricultural zoning. Have you actually skied much at Mission much midweek? Youíre talking out your ass if you think only Bluewood can be uncrowded. Even Snoqualmie and Stevens can be uncrowded and nice.

    Anyway, Iím not particularly worried and itís probably better in Bend than here. Are you bitter because you missed out on the ďnext best placeĒ?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of good growing areas get turned into housing or strip mall hell though. Silicon valley, parts of the salt lake/Provo valley for example were very productive as orchards before they were razed.

    I saw some commerical land across the river that looked like it was being aimed at selling to housing development instead of wheat. Does that seem likely or are there other issues there?

  2. #2077
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing.
    From orchards to houses: Wenatchee's changing landscape

    https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...745a84ae3.html

  3. #2078
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,474

    PORTLAND, OR -- A coalition of conservation groups in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska today released an interactive mapping project that details 11 old-growth logging sales currently in development or soon to be implemented on US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) federal public lands. The projects, which affect approximately 800,000 acres and millions of tons of carbon emissions, are only some of the old-growth logging sales still moving forward despite President Biden’s January 27, 2021 direction to federal agencies on carbon and climate.

    https://oregonwild.org/about/press/o...report-reveals
    and:
    http://mvcitizens.org/its-time-to-mo...ation-project/

    Sure would be nice to have a new ski area with 1% of that land to provide sustainable jobs.

    Which doesn't even begin to address the millions of acres of private land that would be feasible within 2 hours of Seattle. TAFKALS had compiled a list of good ones.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  4. #2079
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,107
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    From orchards to houses: Wenatchee's changing landscape

    https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...745a84ae3.html
    Wow youíre insightful. That article is 20 years late. Thatís in the city limits and one of a handful of medium sized buildable parcels. Iíve lived here for 18 years and the population has grown less than 10%. The amount of new housing is really scarce, thereís no inventory new or used. Thatís why everyone is moving to the Basin like I said. There are more jobs and people in Grant county than Chelan and Douglas counties combined. You should keep telling me what itís like here though, it seems to be your specialty.

  5. #2080
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

    PORTLAND, OR -- A coalition of conservation groups in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska today released an interactive mapping project that details 11 old-growth logging sales currently in development or soon to be implemented on US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) federal public lands. The projects, which affect approximately 800,000 acres and millions of tons of carbon emissions, are only some of the old-growth logging sales still moving forward despite President Biden’s January 27, 2021 direction to federal agencies on carbon and climate.

    https://oregonwild.org/about/press/o...report-reveals
    and:
    http://mvcitizens.org/its-time-to-mo...ation-project/

    Sure would be nice to have a new ski area with 1% of that land to provide sustainable jobs.

    Which doesn't even begin to address the millions of acres of private land that would be feasible within 2 hours of Seattle. TAFKALS had compiled a list of good ones.
    Or even just expand some existing ones. Seems like those days are over.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  6. #2081
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I donít think you know what youíre talking about, east slope valleys are one of the best areas for pear growing.
    Growers can barely give pears away.

    Little cherry disease and land values are the biggest threat to orchards in the Squilchuk watershed. Most of Wenatchee heights will soon be houses.

    Beyond that, from the conversations Iíve had it doesnít sound like snowmaking has any effect on water rights since it effectively acts as a sink for the watershed. It benefits the orchards more than it hurts them.

    The NIMBY west side retirees and recent transplants in forest ridge are the main blockade against further development at mission ridge. I see development as a potential benefit to the skiing in the basin because the land managers will be forced to take fire risk seriously in those woods as they did at squilchuk state park once the forest ridge residents forced them to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    The world needs more Donnely and less Stainless.

  7. #2082
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,107
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Growers can barely give pears away.

    Little cherry disease and land values are the biggest threat to orchards in the Squilchuk watershed. Most of Wenatchee heights will soon be houses.

    Beyond that, from the conversations Iíve had it doesnít sound like snowmaking has any effect on water rights since it effectively acts as a sink for the watershed. It benefits the orchards more than it hurts them.

    The NIMBY west side retirees and recent transplants in forest ridge are the main blockade against further development at mission ridge. I see development as a potential benefit to the skiing in the basin because the land managers will be forced to take fire risk seriously in those woods as they did at squilchuk state park once the forest ridge residents forced them to do so.
    Well I guess weíre fucked then


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #2083
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    panhandle locdog
    Posts
    7,291
    As buster noted, there's dozens of places in the WA cascades where day use or destination resorts could be built.

    I think vails/alterras of the world want to constrain supply and drive prices high. Its in their interest to have long lift lines, always at full capacity, etc... it guarantees profitability and revenue. Especially adding reservations to the mix.

    Isn't there a tech bro or two out there with some spare change who could duplicate a Silverton in the Cascades? Or support a few more hills like those in rural Montana? Lost Trail is a great example. Far smaller population, less affluence and yet they have fairly new lifts with good terrain. Same with Lookout Pass.

    Bezos wouldn't even miss the $20 million to build a kickass hill somewhere between Crystal and Baker. Make it a non-profit and call it a tax write-off.

  9. #2084
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Well I guess we’re fucked then
    on the other hand, you're already a geezer....corn.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfcf13 View Post
    The world needs more Donnely and less Stainless.

  10. #2085
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,387
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    There is almost no logging on National Forests lands in the Cascades of both WA and OR

    Name:  wa timber report 1.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  75.8 KB

    Name:  wa timber report 2.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  89.4 KB

    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

    and for Oregon:

    https://logging.oregonhowl.org/?a=fed
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  11. #2086
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,387
    a little new snow to cover the dust on big T:


    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  12. #2087
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland/Kelowna
    Posts
    91
    Early winters went down because of water rights. Partial win on the court case but unsettled on the matter of water availability and then they gave up because it was apparent they would loose that fight. The crux of any new ski area development in headwaters areas since early winters has been water rights. Rural development in Washington state is largely constrained by water law.

  13. #2088
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,902
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    It doesn't take long for an area to go from hidden gem to overcrowded. In 1990, Wenatchee was bigger than Bend. Now Bend is three times the size of Wenatchee. Bend is tapped out and now it's Wenatchee's turn to explode. Just wait until Mission builds all those Seattle condos they have planned.
    Dude, seriously, you have no clue about Bend. The potential for housing expansion is just being tapped. There's so much land that is available for the right price, and the right palms to be greased. The Deschutes/Crook country metro area is just growing and growing and growing.

    Now, lets get back to developing more of the Cascades into lift served nirvana for all those tens of thousands of new skiers coming to the PNW every year.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  14. #2089
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,107
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    on the other hand, you're already a geezer....corn.
    Thanks bud.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #2090
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Dude, seriously, you have no clue about Bend. The potential for housing expansion is just being tapped. There's so much land that is available for the right price, and the right palms to be greased. The Deschutes/Crook country metro area is just growing and growing and growing.
    Tapped, as in housing is outrageously expensive relative to local wages tapped. No, Bend can definitely sprawl all the way to Burns if they want.

  16. #2091
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    As buster noted, there's dozens of places in the WA cascades where day use or destination resorts could be built.
    Outside of wilderness, there aren't many locations high enough and close enough to major highways/airports/cities. WA Pass would make a great ski area, but that war's already been fought and lost. There was recent talk of a new resort on Adams, on the Yakima land. Also shot down. Where else?

  17. #2092
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    9,225
    In case anybody wants a pretty well researched synopsis of the Early Winters project failure. Devinís plans woulda been cool. Oh well. I believe this is the template for how future ski resort plans will be put away.

    https://archive.seattletimes.com/arc...4&slug=3001450
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  18. #2093
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,648
    As for logging on National Forests in the Cascades, below is a map of the NW Forest Plan. There is still logging in the National Forests in the Cascades, but it is relatively small compared to the amount of forest set aside for preservation. And the forest allowed to be logged is on the lowland periphery, mainly in Southern OR (not WA). Green areas on the map are protected and not being logged. Point being, the National Forest is not letting companies log forests that would make good ski areas. The areas being logged barely get snow and are mostly "matrix" lands that are checker board lands surrounded by private property or state trust forest lands.

    https://www.fs.fed.us/r6/reo/landuse/

  19. #2094
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    duplicate a Silverton in the Cascades? Or support a few more hills like those in rural Montana? Lost Trail is a great example.
    Silverton is private property. At least the chairlift is. I'm pretty sure most of those small Montana resorts are also on private property or mostly private property. Moonlight Basin, one of the newer ski areas, also private property.

    The Rockies have way more private in holdings surrounded by federal land than the PNW because there was way more mining back in the day there. There are some private in holdings here in there in the Cascades, but they are just small pockets of land, like Barron Hut N Cascades Heli owns.

    As I understand Silverton, the owner bought a sliver or land (surrounded by National Forest) and proposed to put up the chairlift. The majority of the skiing is on National Forest land adjacent to the chairlift and required the Forest Service's approval. The Forest Service was willing to grant that approval because the owner owned the land the chairlift was on. Even if the Forest Service said no, he could still spin the lifts and just let people ski the bump line under the lift. A similar situation went down when Snowbird expanded to Mineral Basin (the chairlift was on private property, but the resort needed Forest Service approval to ski on the lands adjacent to the private land). Story I was told is Snowbird owner threatened to put a lift up Twin Peaks (which he owned) unless the Forest Service granted him approval to develop mineral basin.

    If you can find a similar situation in Washington, I think the Forest Service would also approve. But WA doesn't have tracks of private land in high alpine environments. So ya, move to the Rockies if you want to build a new ski area.

  20. #2095
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    In case anybody wants a pretty well researched synopsis of the Early Winters project failure. Devin’s plans woulda been cool. Oh well. I believe this is the template for how future ski resort plans will be put away.

    https://archive.seattletimes.com/arc...4&slug=3001450
    That article is giving conflicting reasons on why the resort wasn't developed. It states:

    "In my mind, it was never about the environment," Wright said last week. "It was about a socioeconomic shift in the valley. Basically (opponents) didn't want to see rich, West-side types who like golf."

    Ok, makes sense. Local Eastern WA people don't want to be overrun by Seattle. But then they state:

    "It was the agencies," Bartholomew said. "The Department of Ecology, specifically."

    Ask anyone on the eastside of Washington what they think of the State Department of Ecology and they will tell you the agency is in bed with wealthy Seattle golfers. So the agency beholden to Seattle elites helped keep the Seattle elites from taking over the Methow.

    Bottom line, they didn't have enough money to get the project done. If Bill Gates wanted to build a resort in the Methow, it would have been built. And would a resort in Mazama do anything to ease skiing congestion for the 4 million people living around Seattle? It's a 4.5 hour drive in the winter. Whistler is closer.

    There was a similar project right outside Rainier in Ashford that after 20 years, was recently finally killed. It wasn't a ski area but a Sun River/Suncadia golf condo conference center thing. If the owner of that project was posting here he would claim environmentalist killed his project. But in reality, he just didn't have enough money to do the shit that needed to be done to comply with all the environmental laws (like ensuring the storm water runoff from the site wasn't going to fuck up salmon bearing streams). Money talks and at the end of the day, people with real money rather spend it on other things than ski areas.

  21. #2096
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    6,623
    There used to be a tram on Johannesburg but it isn't there anymore. Haven't been able to find any pictures of it.

  22. #2097
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland/Kelowna
    Posts
    91
    Early winters failed because they did not have valid water rights. Back in those days pump and dumps and other schemes and scams were still in play but only if you were a muni government. Water rights are a big deal in Washington state…

  23. #2098
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    10,107
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Tapped, as in housing is outrageously expensive relative to local wages tapped. No, Bend can definitely sprawl all the way to Burns if they want.
    I donít think I would take it that far. Maybe fill in the gaps between there and Prineville and La Pine. Like the sprawl that swallowed Redmond and is reaching out to Madras.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #2099
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    350
    Any of you kooks know what the price of an adult day ticket to Crystal is going to be this year? Website didn't seem to want to give that information out. Is there such thing as a discounted ticket to crystal from costco or Rei or whoever?

  25. #2100
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,615
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Bezos wouldn't even miss the $20 million to build a kickass hill somewhere between Crystal and Baker. Make it a non-profit and call it a tax write-off.
    Shit. $20m would barely get you water and sewer mains and a parking lot. We at-least need a 1000í vert of fixed grip double and a snack shack that sells Rainiers and empanadas.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •