Page 74 of 99 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2451
    They mentioned that private rentals to small groups could be an option, but who knows how realistic that list is.

I'm hoping its like Three Sisters Back country model.
    https://www.threesistersbackcountry.com/

Wow, I've been lurking on here so long I had to set up a new account. Full transparency, I am involved in Fortune Creek Huts--so this a little spammy.

Completely unrelated to the operations up north, Fortune Creek Huts will be operating for its first season next winter. The huts will be located in Salmon La Sac area at the top of Van Epps Pass. Hut rental and shuttle services will be offered. Unguided groups are welcome as long as everyone in the group can attest to having a Avy 1 or CA/Euro equivalent. Guiding will be run directly through guiding services, not Fortune Creek Huts. Similar to the other operations discussed here they will be setup seasonally. I cannot seem to post a link, but a quick search of "Fortune Creek Huts" will get you to the site with more info.

If you want to connect drop me a PM or reach out directly via the email/phone/insta listed on the site. Also, there will be a discount for anyone that has been keeping the stoke alive here, drop me a PM.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Forest Service contemplating temporary (winter only) huts at North Twin, Watson/Anderson Lakes, and Heliotrope:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...SLoXUxZYXFy_aQ
    Done. Good to see the momentum building

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Very cool to see some more hut opportunities in the Cascades. I had some formative overnights backpacking with Scouts around Salmon La Sac and have always wanted to go back and ski Daniel, et al. I'd come up to WA for a nice weekend in that zone!

Great skiing right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 2.55.11 PM.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	377404

And Jessie's getting the hang of it.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 2.48.51 PM.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	696.1 KB 
ID:	377405
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Re: huts. I'm a big yes personally, but am hoping this can be parlayed into better access overall into the Twins.

(Copy-paste of what I put on TAY and in the form, in case anyone wants to know)

Regarding the N Twin hut: Access to the area is complicated by the fact that a logging company controls who can access the road. This past year Baker Mtn Guides had a special deal with Weyerhauser that allowed them exclusive snowmobile access. I don't mind the guide company offering snowmobile access up this road and running a hut. However, access to this area differs greatly from the other hut zones which are open to everybody. The Twin Sisters range, on the other hand, is only accessible to people who either pay exorbitant fees to the timber company for a key to the gate or users that ignore the rules and pass through that land illegally.

Weyerhauser's sale of this land is an opportunity to open a dialog with the new owner and try and open up access to more backcountry users. The Twin Sisters range is an incredible area for skiing right next to Bellingham. If there was a public trailhead in the area, it could take pressure off the main ski areas of the 542 corridor. However, these public access needs may be in conflict with the interests of the guide company that wants to offer an exclusive, untracked experience in the area. I say we should be looking at ways to make a deal with the timber company to open the gate at the MF Nooksack and have designated parking for winter backcountry users who just want to pass through these private lands and access the amazing skiing in the wilderness beyond. The guides can coexist peacefully with public backcountry users.

Some stoke

Name:	shuksan NF.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	726.3 KB 
ID:	377414

Name:	IMG_20210617_094800.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	377415

Name:	IMG_20210616_185725407_HDR.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	377416

Name:	IMG_20210618_073711068_HDR.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	377417

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Some stoke
    Right? We’re skiing w/ a big pre-Father’s Day group tomorrow, should be fun.

nice, Kam.

~~~

a bit hazy

Family photo from today.

Name:	Image1624132997.536428.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	377468

++++

Does it tend to just be mostly mashed potatoes in the Cascades by June? Kinda the vibe I'm getting, but it also seems like it's been a warm spring.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Does it tend to just be mostly mashed potatoes in the Cascades by June? Kinda the vibe I'm getting, but it also seems like it's been a warm spring.
    Depends on if it freezes over night.

Be aware that operation is strongly opposed to by the local community. They were able to bypass the public comment period and unfortunately the local crew is now resorting to legal action in an attempt to delay and be heard. Not a good way to start a business.

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    Be aware that operation is strongly opposed to by the local community. They were able to bypass the public comment period and unfortunately the local crew is now resorting to legal action in an attempt to delay and be heard. Not a good way to start a business.
    All I could find was this:

Many of you are aware of a recent controversy regarding the Forest Service issuing a permit to Fortune Creek Huts, an outfitter who wants to erect three huts on Van Epps Pass for backcountry skiing. Snowmobilers are rightfully concerned this will affect our access, and the fact this permit was issued without solicitation of public comment. It appears the Forest Service violated their own policy in issuing this permit. WSSA's Land Use Chairman Wayne Mohler and District 5 North Representative Jason Holmes have met with the Forest Service this week and will meet again next week on this issue. After the next meeting, WSSA will have a better feel for what course of action to pursue and we'll let area snowmobilers know what to expect and how they can help. Stay tuned.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Still killing Power_Sauce

All I could find was this:

Many of you are aware of a recent controversy regarding the Forest Service issuing a permit to Fortune Creek Huts, an outfitter who wants to erect three huts on Van Epps Pass for backcountry skiing. Snowmobilers are rightfully concerned this will affect our access, and the fact this permit was issued without solicitation of public comment. It appears the Forest Service violated their own policy in issuing this permit. WSSA's Land Use Chairman Wayne Mohler and District 5 North Representative Jason Holmes have met with the Forest Service this week and will meet again next week on this issue. After the next meeting, WSSA will have a better feel for what course of action to pursue and we'll let area snowmobilers know what to expect and how they can help. Stay tuned.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R
    98% of usage at Salmon La Sac is sledneckers (100% is motorized, but a select few use their machine to access other modes of downhill transportation). Trying to run a commercial ski operation through the middle of the premier expert snowmobile spot in the area is not going to see a lot of support from that crew, for a bunch of valid reasons. The few that do get off the machine and ski usually bang up to that spot through a pretty sporty trail that will now be shared with people skinning uphill, as the operation is going to snowmobile them in to the bottom but leave them the climb up to the hut. On top of that, once you get up there, there is still shared use, and the parts being shared are in expert snowmobile terrain. Putting a hut with a bunch of skiers in that particular spot is going to create conflict. There's no real rescue plan, they don't have the equipment staged like a normal mechanized operation would if something goes weird, they are starting to work on separating skiers from snowmobilers on the way up, but it's a work in progress. Last I knew they were selling guided trips, but there wasn't a guided permit approved yet either, although it looks like that is likely to happen.

More than anything, it's definitely a tough spot to operate, and circumventing the public comment period and ignoring the local community for a commercial operation is bold in a bad way. If 100% of the hundreds of people brapping/skiing on a Saturday hate you when you show up, seems like a bad idea. I feel for those trying to put a hut business together, but they need to take a step back and figure out how to get people on board before proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    Still killing Power_Sauce

98% of usage at Salmon La Sac is sledneckers (100% is motorized, but a select few use their machine to access other modes of downhill transportation). Trying to run a commercial ski operation through the middle of the premier expert snowmobile spot in the area is not going to see a lot of support from that crew, for a bunch of valid reasons. The few that do get off the machine and ski usually bang up to that spot through a pretty sporty trail that will now be shared with people skinning uphill, as the operation is going to snowmobile them in to the bottom but leave them the climb up to the hut. On top of that, once you get up there, there is still shared use, and the parts being shared are in expert snowmobile terrain. Putting a hut with a bunch of skiers in that particular spot is going to create conflict. There's no real rescue plan, they don't have the equipment staged like a normal mechanized operation would if something goes weird, they are starting to work on separating skiers from snowmobilers on the way up, but it's a work in progress. Last I knew they were selling guided trips, but there wasn't a guided permit approved yet either, although it looks like that is likely to happen.

More than anything, it's definitely a tough spot to operate, and circumventing the public comment period and ignoring the local community for a commercial operation is bold in a bad way. If 100% of the hundreds of people brapping/skiing on a Saturday hate you when you show up, seems like a bad idea. I feel for those trying to put a hut business together, but they need to take a step back and figure out how to get people on board before proceeding.
    Good to know. But sad there's getting to be so much competition for resources. The PNW is desperately in need of more snow access.
    I'm not sure about whose intent resulted in the lack of public comment period, but evidently the snowmo folks are leveraging FOI to get FS docs on the decision.

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	377750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	377751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	377752

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

^^^ Like.

Name:	IMG_20210622_142050159_HDR.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	377845

Name:	IMG_20210622_144454358_HDR.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	967.1 KB 
ID:	377846

Windy up high on Tuesday, but still got a section of corny corridor. Hit it asap, it won't last.

Maybe useful to someone...

Name:	KIMG1262~2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	709.7 KB 
ID:	377861

Prolly last day o the season for me tomorrow. 2 days ago:

Name:	Image1624586564.325458.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	377883

Kedar’s 14 & I want to go out w/ him as he prolly won’t be able to again.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Prolly last day o the season for me tomorrow. 2 days ago:

Name:	Image1624586564.325458.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	377883

Kedar’s 14 & I want to go out w/ him as he prolly won’t be able to again.
    Kedar will be staying home waiting for the TR and dinner.

Well done good dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........