Page 50 of 99 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2451
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Stevens seems to be outside Vail's usual arena of real estate speculation. With nowhere to put a hotel, how can they be profitable? Maybe it's just a write off so they don't care?
    Buying Stevens was solely an attempt to tap into Pugetopolis market to sell more Epic passes. Because you are much more likely to buy an Epic pass and book a trip to Whistler or other vail destinations when you can also use that Epic pass at Stevens.

Farther south... goods were had at Xtal today. Nice day to link up with a few mags and get some fun turns in. Busy as a weekend though...

Anyone else get sandbagged at Northway gate 4 today? A group of maybe 40 people sitting waiting for the rope to drop for 45 min. Patrol finally comes by and when you get into the bowl it's totally skied out. Talked to the lifty at the bottom and he said they'd been loading people for 30 minutes. Was like 3rd through the gate and ended up passing moms and their kids on the run out.

After talking with my gal about the jangle at Stevens today, safe to say it was unrelated to Vail stuff- this time. Really bad roads made lots of employees late, and a few other difficult things added up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    After talking with my gal about the jangle at Stevens today, safe to say it was unrelated to Vail stuff- this time. Really bad roads made lots of employees late, and a few other difficult things added up.

**Putting pitchfork down**
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D5A5067-3F9D-47FA-BC3E-495C2D08B6F2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	841.5 KB 
ID:	363314Stand down and stand by. Go labor.

Sick pics riff++++

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Sick pics riff++++
    Thanks! Really grateful for recent conditions, treading lightly.

Gravity always wins...

Been getting lucky at gate 4 the last few times.... always a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    Anyone else get sandbagged at Northway gate 4 today? A group of maybe 40 people sitting waiting for the rope to drop for 45 min. Patrol finally comes by and when you get into the bowl it's totally skied out. Talked to the lifty at the bottom and he said they'd been loading people for 30 minutes. Was like 3rd through the gate and ended up passing moms and their kids on the run out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post

Did Todd give them the dirt?

that must have been good

Name:	CDE1B7E4-3B0A-479E-9FF1-2C04E76BEA19.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	363345
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Did Todd give them the dirt?

The gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post

I can envision the interview going something like this:

"last year I was at Beaver Creek, and they had cookies at the end of the day. I'm here at Stevens, which Vail bought, and NO COOKIES!"
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Snow in the PNW 20-21: We may have Corona but Corona doesn't have us!

Skied the morning at xtal today. Snow was somewhat dense and wind-whipped but pretty fun on the steeps. Lifts servicing steep terrain are more busy on weekdays this year than weekends. Weekdays do not have beginners soaking up the reservation slots. Edit: it was at least true with this last weekend, which had fairly low crowds.

We were at the top and the patroller said their would be this weird situation with the upper gates closed. We blasted by you and made tracks down to NW..... twice. The whole thing was odd

I ended up timing it pretty perfect today. Linked up with powder_to_the_people mid morning after closing out some work. We hit Rex once and then over for a GV lap and straight to Northway as they were dropping gate 6. Made first set of chairs up Northway, skied a practically untracked Brand-X. Uploaded NW one last time as the line had exploded. At that point pttp bailed and I went solo up FQ to Chair 6 just to see what’s up. Well turns out they just popped Southback. Got two laps, second one up the King with Alyosha. It was...DEEP. But the snow came in a bit upside down and I shoulda brought the goats...

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I ended up timing it pretty perfect today. Linked up with powder_to_the_people mid morning after closing out some work. We hit Rex once and then over for a GV lap and straight to Northway as they were dropping gate 6. Made first set of chairs up Northway, skied a practically untracked Brand-X. Uploaded NW one last time as the line had exploded. At that point pttp bailed and I went solo up FQ to Chair 6 just to see what’s up. Well turns out they just popped Southback. Got two laps, second one up the King with Alyosha. It was...DEEP. But the snow came in a bit upside down and I shoulda brought the goats...
    goats were good at Xtal today. Started with a money run down exterminator, couple on rex, went to check out Northway and things were still on hold and got a 30-60m time line. Went to Left angle saw EH was open. Another set of first tracks. headed to six and a couple laps out south. SE trees were DEEP. Should still be good tomorrow.

Name:	2CCC69DB-7FCF-4238-8280-A3F5B96193E9.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	516.7 KB 
ID:	363354

Shitty to here about the situation at Steven’s. I hope the best for the patrollers and crew. I’d love to see that mountain get back to what it was in 2010.

Shitty to here about the situation at Steven’s. I hope the best for the patrollers and crew. I’d love to see that mountain get back to what it was in 1992.[/QUOTE]

Fify

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thanks, not that old though. I was learning to ski at Hurricane ridge in 92.

After a few nights boondocking on Forest Service roads around the 410 corridor and having been screwed by the Crystal RV reservation site too many times to count, I reached out to the Forest Service about the Silver Springs Campground below the Crystal Boulevard about having it be open in the winter as a more legitimate option to parking along the road deep in the woods. They replied that they've bounced that idea around a few times but they would need to build a business case for privately-run campground to consider this. To give them a small snapshot of possible clientele, I've put together this simple questionnaire to gauge what the cost interest could be.

If you're a Crystal rider and would be interested in the Silver Springs area being an option for October-May, please take a second to drop a response into this document--or shoot me a PM with any other ideas.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

After a few nights boondocking on Forest Service roads around the 410 corridor and having been screwed by the Crystal RV reservation site too many times to count, I reached out to the Forest Service about the Silver Springs Campground below the Crystal Boulevard about having it be open in the winter as a more legitimate option to parking along the road deep in the woods. They replied that they've bounced that idea around a few times but they would need to build a business case for privately-run campground to consider this. To give them a small snapshot of possible clientele, I've put together this simple questionnaire to gauge what the cost interest could be.

If you're a Crystal rider and would be interested in the Silver Springs area being an option for October-May, please take a second to drop a response into this document--or shoot me a PM with any other ideas.

I think if you posted it to the FB groups (TAY, Skiers / Riders in PNW, etc.) and added some things like:

1. How many people would you normally camp with?
    2. How often would you come?
    3. Would you prefer FCFS or reservations system?

That would be really helpful. I would definitely sleep there if I could have a fire pit and access to restrooms. Without that, I'm not as interested in paying vs. boondocking. The problem is, things would probably get crazy if you had plowed roads, fire pit, and restrooms. You'd have to monitor it closely - also you'd probably want to do some sort of reservation system.

Couldn't make it up to Mission today but they finally got Chair 2 loading again!

https://www.missionridge.com/news/we...ss-opening-day
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Thanks for the input! I've included your questions with some approximate answers. I've also got it shared to one of the FB groups, but may spam it out to the larger TAY group in there, too.

My ideal is to have the winter just be plowed camp sites and a working restroom, but I have a feeling keeping the restroom cleaned and area staffed for 5 months could be challenging. We'll see what they say when presented with this extra information.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think if you posted it to the FB groups (TAY, Skiers / Riders in PNW, etc.) and added some things like:

1. How many people would you normally camp with?
    2. How often would you come?
    3. Would you prefer FCFS or reservations system?

That would be really helpful. I would definitely sleep there if I could have a fire pit and access to restrooms. Without that, I'm not as interested in paying vs. boondocking. The problem is, things would probably get crazy if you had plowed roads, fire pit, and restrooms. You'd have to monitor it closely - also you'd probably want to do some sort of reservation system.
    Yeah this seems like It has the potential to be a hotly contested cluster without very close supervision (camp host overseeing everything), and supporting amenities (trash disposal, latrines). I did cast my vote however, would definitely use even if it was just a plowed patch of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Couldn't make it up to Mission today but they finally got Chair 2 loading again!

https://www.missionridge.com/news/we...ss-opening-day
    Yes pretty happy day for us windy hill folks.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

There's a multi year, multi agency environmental impact study underway for that stretch of the river.

No government agency is building a winter camp ground there anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........