Page 21 of 99 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Strong work out there folks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Sauce View Post
    Another good one this morning at the pass. Heading North tomorrow.
    Lucky to get it before the hordes from NYC arrive, Pineapple Pass just written up in the NY Times today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/t...gtype=Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Lucky to get it before the hordes from NYC arrive, Pineapple Pass just written up in the NY Times today:

Time to install fortifications ...

Or sell T shirts

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

Thanks for the link.

The lurkers are thanking you too.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Thanks for the link.

The lurkers? It’s in the fucking New York Times.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The lurkers? It’s in the fucking New York Times.
    What that rag? Nobody reads that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	826.2 KB 
ID:	350306

The fact you can "rent gear" ,as stated in the NYT, makes me feel uneasy. But I started touring by being influenced by others so who am I to be a critic.
    Hope someone reports back today with some good snow shots!

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Thanks for the link.

Hah uhhhh, pineapple pass and table mountain are just about the lowest hanging fruit that exist. Pretty sure the lurkers were already there boot packing your skin track and sending it above other parties.

This season is going to be an absolute massacre in the backcountry.

The best part is all the folks who can hardly link turns in the resort and have never spent a night in the woods thinking avalanches are the only risk they need to mitigate.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The best part is all the folks who can hardly link turns in the resort and have never spent a night in the woods thinking avalanches are the only risk they need to mitigate.
    Yup. If they only knew how ferocious the wolves were.

Less bitching, more stoke:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Fiedler (Not Neil Armstrong) View Post
    The fact you can "rent gear" ,as stated in the NYT, makes me feel uneasy. But I started touring by being influenced by others so who am I to be a critic.
    Hope someone reports back today with some good snow shots!
    I was in a Hood River shop killing time years ago. Dude rented a split board setup....I saw him on the news later...luckily alive, but required rescue on Mt Hood.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fkna power sauce++++

Dayum power sauce!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

A huge part of the problem with newbs in the backcountry is that experienced and safer people keep looking down their nose at them and posting a bunch of derogatory elitist nonsense that prevents them from asking for help or reaching out. People being dicks on threads like this are closing off one of the most easily accessible and powerful ways for people to become educated or meet up with more experienced partners to start to learn.

Everyone on social media being elitist dipshits about backcountry safety and access leaves people with two options: a) they can go alone (or with a similarly inexperienced friend) and figure it out or b) they're lucky enough to have a more experienced person in their in-person social circle they can link up with. People without (b) are just gonna go with (a). We were all new at backcountry stuff once upon a time, stop being dicks.

FWIW I don't have any issue with that NYT piece except that the beginning of the route description for Pineapple Pass is vague enough that it's going to send a bunch of people up the summer trail that traverses a bunch of avalanche paths. All the routes and locations in the article are already widely written about in all the backcountry books for all the regions I'm familiar with.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Back to stoke.

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	350351

I skimmed the article and couldn't help but think that it was a complete waste of time. If anyone is spending at least a couple thousand dollars on the requisite backcountry gear (boots, bindings, skis, etc) and then opening up the NYT to figure out what to do with it, well, they're going to need a lot more help than I think anyone here can give them. Sure the valley up to Pineapple Pass puts you in some avalanche terrain so may not be perfectly ideal for complete newbies but honestly, I'm perfectly fine with the NYT publishing it in their list. It's not exactly a secret since you can get most of the way there out the gate at Alpental.

The bigger question for me is why the NYT bothers to write an article like that? It's too light on information to be meaningful to anyone that it would be relevant to and I doubt that it really appeal to much of their demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    A huge part of the problem with newbs in the backcountry is that experienced and safer people keep looking down their nose at them and posting a bunch of derogatory elitist nonsense that prevents them from asking for help or reaching out. People being dicks on threads like this are closing off one of the most easily accessible and powerful ways for people to become educated or meet up with more experienced partners to start to learn.

Everyone on social media being elitist dipshits about backcountry safety and access leaves people with two options: a) they can go alone (or with a similarly inexperienced friend) and figure it out or b) they're lucky enough to have a more experienced person in their in-person social circle they can link up with. People without (b) are just gonna go with (a). We were all new at backcountry stuff once upon a time, stop being dicks.

FWIW I don't have any issue with that NYT piece except that the beginning of the route description for Pineapple Pass is vague enough that it's going to send a bunch of people up the summer trail that traverses a bunch of avalanche paths. All the routes and locations in the article are already widely written about in all the backcountry books for all the regions I'm familiar with.
    There are some very good intro to ski touring classes offered in the area. That should be the first think folks should do after their avy 1.

Hiring a guide is another great option, but doesn't seem to be too popular in the states. I've done it a few times and it's been awesome.

Most new folks I've met on the skin track don't have the fitness or terrain management awareness that makes it a danger for all. I think that is where some of the hate comes from.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    There are some very good intro to ski touring classes offered in the area. That should be the first think folks should do after their avy 1.

Hiring a guide is another great option, but doesn't seem to be too popular in the states. I've done it a few times and it's been awesome.

Most new folks I've met on the skin track don't have the fitness or terrain management awareness that makes it a danger for all. I think that is where some of the hate comes from.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    My eye test tells me that a great percentage of newbs can't ski well enough to be venturing around in the BC. Watching people ski around Paradise is generally painful, but that's nothing new. It's been that way for years. It's also pretty ridiculous to expect people to mentor strangers during a pandemic.

Beautiful day for a leg stretch at the pass. Snow sucked but the French Dip at Commonwealth was heavenly

Name:	Image1606685932.132899.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	350360

Name:	62837746354__CA2C207A-5D52-4F01-A6D8-F51F7BC24CC8.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	350361

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    My eye test tells me that a great percentage of newbs can't ski well enough to be venturing around in the BC. Watching people ski around Paradise is generally painful, but that's nothing new. It's been that way for years. It's also pretty ridiculous to expect people to mentor strangers during a pandemic.
    I'm not expecting people to mentor strangers during a pandemic. It's 2020, most people are going to go looking for information on new hobbies and places and things to know on the internet. When they find a place like this where everyone denigrates anyone learning a new hobby, they're not going to abandon their new hobby, they're just going to go do it without the information (or go look somewhere else, though this attitude seems to be more the rule than the exception online).

I'm not expecting people to mentor strangers during a pandemic. It's 2020, most people are going to go looking for information on new hobbies and places and things to know on the internet. When they find a place like this where everyone denigrates anyone learning a new hobby, they're not going to abandon their new hobby, they're just going to go do it without the information (or go look somewhere else, though this attitude seems to be more the rule than the exception online).
    Gimme a fucking break. Learning new shit isn't easy. Especially something like bc skiing. If you are counting on the supportive environment of TGR to learn a new hobby you are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Gimme a fucking break. Learning new shit isn't easy. Especially something like bc skiing. If you are counting on the supportive environment of TGR to learn a new hobby you are delusional.
    I like to think of TgR as a safe space, a nest in the tree of trust if you will

https://youtu.be/umkovqvw714

Well, they neglect to mention that Alpy patrol closes the area to uphill travel for the season once control work starts, which should be soon.