Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1688
  1. #1326
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    S-E-A-T-O-W-N
    Posts
    1,684
    Some people don't understand or know where they're going. Some ropes would help.

  2. #1327
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Some people don't understand or know where they're going. Some ropes would help.
    To hang them with?

  3. #1328
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,287
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    the ikonic traverses of crystal mountain.

    It literally takes 12 more minutes to walk to the top if you're fat and out of shape and not cut a track which looses close to 200 vertical feet across the entire avalanche basin so they can ski a different 160 vertical feet down to Elizabeth lake, which requires them to ski down to C9 instead of take the quick cut back to C6. It makes no sense.
    You've obviously never hiked the King while fat and out of shape. Otherwise you would know it takes an additional 18-20 minutes to hike to the top. (This doesn't include the 5-7 minutes it takes to get your skis off and figure out how to carry them on your shoulder before the hike.)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  4. #1329
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    773
    Holy fucking sleeper day at Mission. The report wasn't favorable this morning, nor were the winds, so I think a lot of people bagged it. But by second lap they had the summit open. Buddy and I got 1st tracks down 4 of our favorite lines. Some areas were wind scoured but if you knew where to look for the deposits it was so good. I've honestly seen more people up there skiing in the rain than were on the mountain this morning. May not have been the best or deepest snow of the season but the consistency of untouched turns made it a winner. No pics so it probably didn't happen
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

  5. #1330
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tall trees, cold seas
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    People are either too scared or lazy to hike to the top. Instead they traverse under people skiing off the top and make sweet traverse lines to blow you up and lose 99% of their vert without making any good turns.
    Itís what happens when you donít require gear to go out of southback and people who have no business leaving a groomer go exploring since they see other people going that way.
    Southback on Saturday was the biggest gong show of literally a pack of women in their 60s on rental gear asking if it would get easier if they kept going further out and people on rental skis. A 5 min section took 30+ min at one point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They need one of those "are you beeping signs" and make it mandatory to carry avy gear. It will help weed out a few folks for sure.

  6. #1331
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Holy fucking sleeper day at Mission. The report wasn't favorable this morning, nor were the winds, so I think a lot of people bagged it. But by second lap they had the summit open. Buddy and I got 1st tracks down 4 of our favorite lines. Some areas were wind scoured but if you knew where to look for the deposits it was so good. I've honestly seen more people up there skiing in the rain than were on the mountain this morning. May not have been the best or deepest snow of the season but the consistency of untouched turns made it a winner. No pics so it probably didn't happen
    One of my best days this season. We skied so many untracked runs today. Two untracked runs top to bottom in bowl 5 between 1430 and 1500


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #1332
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Holy fucking sleeper day at Mission. The report wasn't favorable this morning, nor were the winds, so I think a lot of people bagged it. But by second lap they had the summit open. Buddy and I got 1st tracks down 4 of our favorite lines. Some areas were wind scoured but if you knew where to look for the deposits it was so good. I've honestly seen more people up there skiing in the rain than were on the mountain this morning. May not have been the best or deepest snow of the season but the consistency of untouched turns made it a winner. No pics so it probably didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    One of my best days this season. We skied so many untracked runs today. Two untracked runs top to bottom in bowl 5 between 1430 and 1500


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Excellent, glad you guys were up there. Mountain looked empty on the webcam and social media, but i was suspecting it would be good!
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  8. #1333
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    They need one of those "are you beeping signs" and make it mandatory to carry avy gear. It will help weed out a few folks for sure.
    I remember a few years ago crystal had patrollers stationed at the start of the hike/traverse out to Southback checking everyone for beacons and hassling (but allowing to pass) those without beacons on. I think they even announced to the folks waiting for the hike to open that only those with beacons would be allowed to pass.

  9. #1334
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I remember a few years ago crystal had patrollers stationed at the start of the hike/traverse out to Southback checking everyone for beacons and hassling (but allowing to pass) those without beacons on. I think they even announced to the folks waiting for the hike to open that only those with beacons would be allowed to pass.
    Yep happens sometimes when conditions are a little touchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  10. #1335
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    voting in seattle
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep happens sometimes when conditions are a little touchy.
    I've had multiple south openings when they've asked those without kit+partner to give everyone else 10 min to conduct some additional live action testing.

  11. #1336
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    2,745
    Today was all time great at Crystal when Northway opened. They'd opened Chair 6 ~45 minutes before opening Northway and so everyone had vanished from Green Valley. I was in the first group of people through Gate 1 and it was all time amazing over the shoulder / face shots on every turn all the way down. Got to put down fresh tracks in blower under the chair from Gate 3. Then just lap after lap of fresh tracks off Morning Glory. Was still dumping at my truck in the parking lot when I left.

    Snapped this pic of the huge crown on Penny Dawg (that's what the trail map calls the area from those cliffs under the chair, but that's not what the sign Penny Dawgs points toÖ I have no idea whether that's the proper name) from the chair, didn't look like it slid too far since looker's left was a bunch of debris with a few inches of new snow on top of it (guessing it went yesterday / overnight as I didn't see a bomb pit or anything either).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_006019.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	364562

    Southback never opened and tomorrow looks to be clear and cold. Should be good.

  12. #1337
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    Today was all time great at Crystal when Northway opened. They'd opened Chair 6 ~45 minutes before opening Northway and so everyone had vanished from Green Valley. I was in the first group of people through Gate 1 and it was all time amazing over the shoulder / face shots on every turn all the way down. Got to put down fresh tracks in blower under the chair from Gate 3. Then just lap after lap of fresh tracks off Morning Glory. Was still dumping at my truck in the parking lot when I left.

    Snapped this pic of the huge crown on Penny Dawg (that's what the trail map calls the area from those cliffs under the chair, but that's not what the sign Penny Dawgs points toÖ I have no idea whether that's the proper name) from the chair, didn't look like it slid too far since looker's left was a bunch of debris with a few inches of new snow on top of it (guessing it went yesterday / overnight as I didn't see a bomb pit or anything either).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_006019.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	364562

    Southback never opened and tomorrow looks to be clear and cold. Should be good.
    Penny dawgs is right next to nickel kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  13. #1338
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    2,745
    I have no idea what/where nickel kitty is.

    Crystal has some of the worst trail maps / naming coherence of anywhere I've ever skied.

  14. #1339
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,230
    Have you ever been to Baker?

  15. #1340
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    I have no idea what/where nickel kitty is.
    Next to penny dawgs.

    Does it have to have a name that you know?

    You're really relying on a trail map?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  16. #1341
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    2,745
    Fair point. But at least Baker uses a map made by Niehues that gives a reasonable sense of topography instead of the VistaMap dreck that Crystal uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Next to penny dawgs.

    Does it have to have a name that you know?

    You're really relying on a trail map?
    I don't know the local names of hardly anything at Crystal since I'd only skied there a handful of times, and always with a bunch of locals who rattled off run names and spots faster than I could keep up with, before I moved to Tacoma 18 months ago.

  17. #1342
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    188
    Ptavv is right, Crystal was bitchin today. Short lift lines and refills all day(probably snowed 5-6 inches from when 8-2:30. Real nice cream cheese pow on exterminator and Northway laps later in the day were excellent.

    Tomorrow should be a great day for some sunny south laps if they get it open

  18. #1343
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Ptavv is right, Crystal was bitchin today. Short lift lines and refills all day(probably snowed 5-6 inches from when 8-2:30. Real nice cream cheese pow on exterminator and Northway laps later in the day were excellent.

    Tomorrow should be a great day for some sunny south laps if they get it open
    Will be out lapping 6. Teal/tan/teal on Goats.

  19. #1344
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    72
    Has no one seen the avie carnage on Stevens and elsewhere?
    Check the NWAC site. Impressive activity from this last storm/rain event. I cant seem to post photos with my iphone or I'd do so.
    Do what you like. Try not to arbitrarily be an ass. -- skizix

    the bumps are just better without hooveprints in them. -- lightranger

  20. #1345
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Has no one seen the avie carnage on Stevens and elsewhere?
    Check the NWAC site. Impressive activity from this last storm/rain event. I cant seem to post photos with my iphone or I'd do so.
    I drove past the Rock mountain slide they talked about yesterday, that thing was massive. I have never seen an avy run so big before, it was something else.

  21. #1346
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    521
    not happy about missing today, this one snuck by me.

  22. #1347
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,386
    Not happy about missing out today, tomorrow, and Friday. Can I quit my job already?

  23. #1348
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,287
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I remember a few years ago crystal had patrollers stationed at the start of the hike/traverse out to Southback checking everyone for beacons and hassling (but allowing to pass) those without beacons on. I think they even announced to the folks waiting for the hike to open that only those with beacons would be allowed to pass.
    Yep, have had the experience on multiple occasions after some deep storm totals and somewhat touchy snow pack, where patrol got some decent results during their control work.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  24. #1349
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    657
    Great bluebird morning laps hiking the throne w/ Ptavv. Shaded goods delivered, but everything got progressively cooked as the day wore on. Views alone made the trip out worth it, never gets old.

  25. #1350
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    188
    Exterminator first thing was all time. Waited for two hours at the South Gate(we had a bell to bell day yesterday too). Finished the day off with two south laps on north aspects. Epic two days. Be back friday

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •