Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1688
  1. #1251
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think if you posted it to the FB groups (TAY, Skiers / Riders in PNW, etc.) and added some things like:

    1. How many people would you normally camp with?
    2. How often would you come?
    3. Would you prefer FCFS or reservations system?

    That would be really helpful. I would definitely sleep there if I could have a fire pit and access to restrooms. Without that, I'm not as interested in paying vs. boondocking. The problem is, things would probably get crazy if you had plowed roads, fire pit, and restrooms. You'd have to monitor it closely - also you'd probably want to do some sort of reservation system.
    Yeah this seems like It has the potential to be a hotly contested cluster without very close supervision (camp host overseeing everything), and supporting amenities (trash disposal, latrines). I did cast my vote however, would definitely use even if it was just a plowed patch of dirt.

  2. #1252
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Couldn't make it up to Mission today but they finally got Chair 2 loading again!

    https://www.missionridge.com/news/we...ss-opening-day
    Yes pretty happy day for us windy hill folks.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  3. #1253
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    After a few nights boondocking on Forest Service roads around the 410 corridor and having been screwed by the Crystal RV reservation site too many times to count, I reached out to the Forest Service about the Silver Springs Campground below the Crystal Boulevard about having it be open in the winter as a more legitimate option to parking along the road deep in the woods. They replied that they've bounced that idea around a few times but they would need to build a business case for privately-run campground to consider this. To give them a small snapshot of possible clientele, I've put together this simple questionnaire to gauge what the cost interest could be.

    If you're a Crystal rider and would be interested in the Silver Springs area being an option for October-May, please take a second to drop a response into this document--or shoot me a PM with any other ideas.

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
    There's a multi year, multi agency environmental impact study underway for that stretch of the river.

    No government agency is building a winter camp ground there anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  4. #1254
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Dirty E
    Posts
    897
    That's the thing, though, this is an existing area with existing facilities. It's just making it operational year round rather than their current May to October schedule. Would that impact this very much with only plowing and supervision?

  5. #1255
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Shitty to here about the situation at Steven’s. I hope the best for the patrollers and crew. I’d love to see that mountain get back to what it was in 1992.
    Fify

    Yup. That was around the time they started charging for parking. Maybe a couple years later but your point is still valid.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

  6. #1256
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,266
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Couldn't make it up to Mission today but they finally got Chair 2 loading again!

    https://www.missionridge.com/news/we...ss-opening-day
    It was never NOT RUNNING, they removed and replaced an entire chair during covid, along with the normal challenges. We’re lucky to get it at all this season ATMO.

    They couldn’t have chosen better weather to open it. Pretty killer this afternoon.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9431.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	363523

    Let’s hope they can keep it running.

  7. #1257
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    It was never NOT RUNNING, they removed and replaced an entire chair during covid, along with the normal challenges. We’re lucky to get it at all this season ATMO.

    They couldn’t have chosen better weather to open it. Pretty killer this afternoon.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9431.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	363523

    Let’s hope they can keep it running.
    That's cool as shit

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  8. #1258
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    That's the thing, though, this is an existing area with existing facilities. It's just making it operational year round rather than their current May to October schedule. Would that impact this very much with only plowing and supervision?
    Probably enough so as to make it a non starter. New winterized toilet facilities that close to river would be years of permitting.

    Plowing is expensive. FS would probably have to buy dedicated equipment and staff it to keep it clear. I don't see them investing that kind of $ so people can pay 25 a night to park their Sprinters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  9. #1259
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    79
    I already asked about this in the Inland NW thread, but I figured there might be some good insights here as well.

    Between Metaline Falls and Republic, which would be a better ski town?

    From Metaline Falls, here are some drive times:
    39min to Salmo Ski Area
    45min to Kootenay Pass
    backcountry
    1hr10min to Whitewater
    1hr28min to Red Mountain
    1hr16min to 49 Degrees North

    From Republic:
    20min to Sherman Pass backcountry
    40min to Boulder Creek Pass backcountry
    1hr3min to Phoenix Mountain BC
    1hr47min to 49 Degrees North
    1hr51min to Loup Loup
    1hr54min to Red Mountain BC


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #1260
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    I already asked about this in the Inland NW thread, but I figured there might be some good insights here as well.

    Between Metaline Falls and Republic, which would be a better ski town?

    From Metaline Falls, here are some drive times:
    39min to Salmo Ski Area
    45min to Kootenay Pass
    backcountry
    1hr10min to Whitewater
    1hr28min to Red Mountain
    1hr16min to 49 Degrees North

    From Republic:
    20min to Sherman Pass backcountry
    40min to Boulder Creek Pass backcountry
    1hr3min to Phoenix Mountain BC
    1hr47min to 49 Degrees North
    1hr51min to Loup Loup
    1hr54min to Red Mountain BC


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You left out Northport. 30 minutes to Red. Not much of a “town” but you’re close to Rossland and closer to Red, WH2O and 49 than Metaline Falls our Republic. If you want a real small town try Kettle Falls and you’re still closer than MF and Republic.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #1261
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You left out Northport. 30 minutes to Red. Not much of a “town” but you’re close to Rossland and closer to Red, WH2O and 49 than Metaline Falls our Republic. If you want a real small town try Kettle Falls and you’re still closer than MF and Republic.

    Good luck getting to Sherman Pass from Republic in 20 minutes in the winter. Kettle Falls is almost as close to the summit.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #1262
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    79
    I don’t want to deal with pollutants from the lead smelter just across the border from Northport, and I find both Metaline Falls and Republic to be more charming.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #1263
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    79
    Also I lived in the KF/Colville Area earlier this year, and I honestly wasn’t a fan. The only place in Stevens County I’m a big fan of is Chewelah.

    Sorry to be picky


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #1264
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    79
    I got up the pass from republic in around 20 minutes last night, and the road and trailhead were all well plowed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #1265
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,386
    Has anyone here taken the Alpinism 1 course or equivalent from American Alpine Institute or NW Mountain School? Looking into those two options for spring and would like feedback.

  16. #1266
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    X=Z-BO
    Posts
    3,378
    It's still good out there.

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

  17. #1267
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    It's still good out there.

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It’s not true if you don’t post pics, but I concur


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #1268
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Has anyone here taken the Alpinism 1 course or equivalent from American Alpine Institute or NW Mountain School? Looking into those two options for spring and would like feedback.
    Climbing intro by the WAC It was similar and would serve you better, with a better cohort of people to get out with afterwards, mountaineers a distant second. I think their intake is in December however.

  19. #1269
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    32,049
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Has anyone here taken the Alpinism 1 course or equivalent from American Alpine Institute or NW Mountain School? Looking into those two options for spring and would like feedback.
    Pro Guiding or North Cascade Mountain Guides.

    Avoid the Mountaineers like the fucking plague.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  20. #1270
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    It was never NOT RUNNING, they removed and replaced an entire chair during covid, along with the normal challenges. We’re lucky to get it at all this season ATMO.

    They couldn’t have chosen better weather to open it. Pretty killer this afternoon.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9431.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	363523

    Let’s hope they can keep it running.
    Oh wow, was that what they've been up to since May?!? Well color me educated, that would explain why we've been riding Chairs 3 and 4 this year. Never said it wasn't running (although technically it wasn't running for quite some time) just that they were loading it again. Bummed I wasn't there for the sun yesterday but the snow today was great. I've got nothing but love for Mission and am stoked that they completed the replacement project under the circumstances, it made for much quicker laps out to Microwave today

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2493.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	363660
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

  21. #1271
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    853
    Easy guys.

  22. #1272
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    773
    My apologies, I think my wife put too much salt on my peas tonight
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

  23. #1273
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    208
    Interesting day at Xtal today. The sign at 410 said they were sold out which was surprising. Pull into C at 8:15. Waited 5 min in line for gondy and about 6 groups before we load they put it on wind hold. No line at Chinook or Rex, so ok. Snow is in great shape, a little wind packed, groomers are niiiiiice for first couple runs.

    What was interesting is that on a "sold out" day there are no lines anywhere other than FQ, even when the gondy was shut down, never seen that this year... Paradise and Horseshoe are awesome along w/ Hamburger. Powder bowl was nice snow but skiing through dense fog resulted in vertigo. Other big pain was goggles were continually icing up when on the upper mountain, ended up doing some laps on QS because of this. Overall 4 star day.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

  24. #1274
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    X=Z-BO
    Posts
    3,378
    Pics for posterity Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210219_080627.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	363727

    Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

  25. #1275
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    Interesting day at Xtal today. The sign at 410 said they were sold out which was surprising. Pull into C at 8:15. Waited 5 min in line for gondy and about 6 groups before we load they put it on wind hold. No line at Chinook or Rex, so ok. Snow is in great shape, a little wind packed, groomers are niiiiiice for first couple runs.

    What was interesting is that on a "sold out" day there are no lines anywhere other than FQ, even when the gondy was shut down, never seen that this year... Paradise and Horseshoe are awesome along w/ Hamburger. Powder bowl was nice snow but skiing through dense fog resulted in vertigo. Other big pain was goggles were continually icing up when on the upper mountain, ended up doing some laps on QS because of this. Overall 4 star day.
    The answer likely lies at Alpental. When Alpental gets way more snow than Crystal like the current convergence pattern all the Ikoners go to Alpental and proceed to profusely and loudly complain about the chair 2 line and probably don't cancel their reservations. Or they bought a Stevens day ticket since you can get those for midweek.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •