Page 51 of 99 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2451
    That's the thing, though, this is an existing area with existing facilities. It's just making it operational year round rather than their current May to October schedule. Would that impact this very much with only plowing and supervision?

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Shitty to here about the situation at Steven’s. I hope the best for the patrollers and crew. I’d love to see that mountain get back to what it was in 1992.
    Fify

Yup. That was around the time they started charging for parking. Maybe a couple years later but your point is still valid.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    Couldn't make it up to Mission today but they finally got Chair 2 loading again!

https://www.missionridge.com/news/we...ss-opening-day
    It was never NOT RUNNING, they removed and replaced an entire chair during covid, along with the normal challenges. We’re lucky to get it at all this season ATMO.

They couldn’t have chosen better weather to open it. Pretty killer this afternoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9431.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	363523

Let’s hope they can keep it running.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    It was never NOT RUNNING, they removed and replaced an entire chair during covid, along with the normal challenges. We’re lucky to get it at all this season ATMO.

They couldn’t have chosen better weather to open it. Pretty killer this afternoon.

That's cool as shit

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    That's the thing, though, this is an existing area with existing facilities. It's just making it operational year round rather than their current May to October schedule. Would that impact this very much with only plowing and supervision?
    Probably enough so as to make it a non starter. New winterized toilet facilities that close to river would be years of permitting.

Plowing is expensive. FS would probably have to buy dedicated equipment and staff it to keep it clear. I don't see them investing that kind of $ so people can pay 25 a night to park their Sprinters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I already asked about this in the Inland NW thread, but I figured there might be some good insights here as well.

Between Metaline Falls and Republic, which would be a better ski town?

From Metaline Falls, here are some drive times:
    39min to Salmo Ski Area
    45min to Kootenay Pass
    backcountry
    1hr10min to Whitewater
    1hr28min to Red Mountain
    1hr16min to 49 Degrees North

From Republic:
    20min to Sherman Pass backcountry
    40min to Boulder Creek Pass backcountry
    1hr3min to Phoenix Mountain BC
    1hr47min to 49 Degrees North
    1hr51min to Loup Loup
    1hr54min to Red Mountain BC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Riblet Tramway View Post
    I already asked about this in the Inland NW thread, but I figured there might be some good insights here as well.

Between Metaline Falls and Republic, which would be a better ski town?

From Metaline Falls, here are some drive times:
    39min to Salmo Ski Area
    45min to Kootenay Pass
    backcountry
    1hr10min to Whitewater
    1hr28min to Red Mountain
    1hr16min to 49 Degrees North

From Republic:
    20min to Sherman Pass backcountry
    40min to Boulder Creek Pass backcountry
    1hr3min to Phoenix Mountain BC
    1hr47min to 49 Degrees North
    1hr51min to Loup Loup
    1hr54min to Red Mountain BC

You left out Northport. 30 minutes to Red. Not much of a “town” but you’re close to Rossland and closer to Red, WH2O and 49 than Metaline Falls our Republic. If you want a real small town try Kettle Falls and you’re still closer than MF and Republic.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You left out Northport. 30 minutes to Red. Not much of a “town” but you’re close to Rossland and closer to Red, WH2O and 49 than Metaline Falls our Republic. If you want a real small town try Kettle Falls and you’re still closer than MF and Republic.

Good luck getting to Sherman Pass from Republic in 20 minutes in the winter. Kettle Falls is almost as close to the summit.

I don’t want to deal with pollutants from the lead smelter just across the border from Northport, and I find both Metaline Falls and Republic to be more charming.

Also I lived in the KF/Colville Area earlier this year, and I honestly wasn’t a fan. The only place in Stevens County I’m a big fan of is Chewelah.

Sorry to be picky

I got up the pass from republic in around 20 minutes last night, and the road and trailhead were all well plowed.

Has anyone here taken the Alpinism 1 course or equivalent from American Alpine Institute or NW Mountain School? Looking into those two options for spring and would like feedback.

It's still good out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    It's still good out there.

It’s not true if you don’t post pics, but I concur

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Has anyone here taken the Alpinism 1 course or equivalent from American Alpine Institute or NW Mountain School? Looking into those two options for spring and would like feedback.
    Climbing intro by the WAC It was similar and would serve you better, with a better cohort of people to get out with afterwards, mountaineers a distant second. I think their intake is in December however.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Pro Guiding or North Cascade Mountain Guides.

Avoid the Mountaineers like the fucking plague.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

Oh wow, was that what they've been up to since May?!? Well color me educated, that would explain why we've been riding Chairs 3 and 4 this year. Never said it wasn't running (although technically it wasn't running for quite some time) just that they were loading it again. Bummed I wasn't there for the sun yesterday but the snow today was great. I've got nothing but love for Mission and am stoked that they completed the replacement project under the circumstances, it made for much quicker laps out to Microwave today

Name:	IMG_2493.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	363660
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Easy guys.

My apologies, I think my wife put too much salt on my peas tonight
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Interesting day at Xtal today. The sign at 410 said they were sold out which was surprising. Pull into C at 8:15. Waited 5 min in line for gondy and about 6 groups before we load they put it on wind hold. No line at Chinook or Rex, so ok. Snow is in great shape, a little wind packed, groomers are niiiiiice for first couple runs.

What was interesting is that on a "sold out" day there are no lines anywhere other than FQ, even when the gondy was shut down, never seen that this year... Paradise and Horseshoe are awesome along w/ Hamburger. Powder bowl was nice snow but skiing through dense fog resulted in vertigo. Other big pain was goggles were continually icing up when on the upper mountain, ended up doing some laps on QS because of this. Overall 4 star day.
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Pics for posterity Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210219_080627.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	363727

god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    Interesting day at Xtal today. The sign at 410 said they were sold out which was surprising. Pull into C at 8:15. Waited 5 min in line for gondy and about 6 groups before we load they put it on wind hold. No line at Chinook or Rex, so ok. Snow is in great shape, a little wind packed, groomers are niiiiiice for first couple runs.

What was interesting is that on a "sold out" day there are no lines anywhere other than FQ, even when the gondy was shut down, never seen that this year... Paradise and Horseshoe are awesome along w/ Hamburger. Powder bowl was nice snow but skiing through dense fog resulted in vertigo. Other big pain was goggles were continually icing up when on the upper mountain, ended up doing some laps on QS because of this. Overall 4 star day.
    The answer likely lies at Alpental. When Alpental gets way more snow than Crystal like the current convergence pattern all the Ikoners go to Alpental and proceed to profusely and loudly complain about the chair 2 line and probably don't cancel their reservations. Or they bought a Stevens day ticket since you can get those for midweek.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Climbing intro by the WAC It was similar and would serve you better, with a better cohort of people to get out with afterwards, mountaineers a distant second. I think their intake is in December however.
    "Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the WAC will not be hosting a 2021 Basic Climbing Class"

Looks pretty awesome that it's a longer term class though. Let's you learn the material and retain it much better than a weeklong class.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    The answer likely lies at Alpental. When Alpental gets way more snow than Crystal like the current convergence pattern all the Ikoners go to Alpental and proceed to profusely and loudly complain about the chair 2 line and probably don't cancel their reservations. Or they bought a Stevens day ticket since you can get those for midweek.
    After they wait for alpy patrol to open things at 10:30am.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    After they wait for alpy patrol to open things at 10:30am.
    "CAN'T BELIEVE THIS LINE I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE CRYSTAL IS SO MUCH BETTER"

Next time convergence storm comes through and Crystal is rain shadowed by Rainier.... about 2 weeks later...

"CAN'T BELIEVE THIS LINE I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE CRYSTAL IS SO MUCH BETTER"