Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Current Fat Ski Options (> 132mm)

I am considering getting a fresh pair of fat skis to replace my Volkl Kuros (132mm under foot). It looks like the ski manufacturers have downsized the options to the 120mm range due to popular demand.

Anybody have thoughts or recommendations on a current fat ski with full rocker but stiff tails that edges on ice?
    Last edited by jumpturn; 10-22-2020 at 08:28 PM.

2 skinny snowboards?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Pontoons or redeemer

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I believe Moment will press you a pair of Comis. Also, ON3p PIllowfights?

132+ full rocker that “rashes” on ice, whatever the fuck that is, lol, gotta be trollin...
    If seriously looking for a phat pow ski then, Dps Spoon, 138 Lotus, praxis Pow boards, Protest @128 which is damn close, promise you won’t notice the -4mm. K2 Pontoon. Probably missing some.

Protest all the way

I have extra stiff comis that I'd get rid of. No rocker though.

Rashes corrected. Thanks for the suggestions one and all.

I am asking this question because I am looking for a Cham powder ski as good as my Kuros, which have run over uncountable rocks and are heavily patched up. Edging and stiff tails are essential due to variable conditions, ie ice over the void. For winter pow, skiers use pontoons, redeemers, Black crow noctas, armada declivity x. Soft flex noodles definitely don’t cut it, soft tails are a problem.

Might be an academic discussion until the euros rein in COVID-19.

Get the whitedot redeemer. Euro FTW

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Is your only option euro brands? If not then the Lhasa fats in GS should be high on your radar, esp given your ski location. Only 118 under foot but they float crazy well and absolutely charge with great edge hold due to long effective edge.

Not full rocker, but have you glanced at the green Blizzie Spur?

RENEGADES!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Whitedot have ex demo Redeemers in a 190 available in their US online store. Otherwise, you can probably pick up a Ragnarok carbonlite or asym new (Spyderjon) or there are ex demo trad versions available available from the online shop. The latter could be too narrow for your use case.

I went with the Ragnarok carbonlite in the first days of the pandemic to cheer myself up. Suspect they may not get skied this season. Roll on 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post

I am asking this question because I am looking for a Cham powder ski as good as my Kuros, which have run over uncountable rocks and are heavily patched up. Edging and stiff tails are essential due to variable conditions, ie ice over the void. For winter pow, skiers use pontoons, redeemers, Black crow noctas, armada declivity x. Soft flex noodles definitely don’t cut it, soft tails are a problem.

Still sounds like the Moment Comi might be your ticket, even if ti's not a Euro brand.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    RENEGADES!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Those are only 122 mm at the waist.

Monoski?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Those are only 122 mm at the waist.
    Super fun skis in soft snow, but they also wouldn't be my first choice for a pow ski that can edge on really firm shit.

Liberty Genome maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Super fun skis in soft snow, but they also wouldn't be my first choice for a pow ski that can edge on really firm shit.

Liberty Genome maybe?
    Agreed. I own two pair from the early years. They are a heli-ski, cat-trip, or bottomless resort day ski. Anything less, and they will work over even the fittest skier.

Fatypus M5 and Alotta
    "Not all who wander are lost"

They’re a little old, but the Cham127 was designed for your exact location.
    Manufacturers don’t make super fats, because they had to give them away.
    I got my 127’s for $129 new/delivered.

Yeah, I got my 2 pairs of Volkl kuros for $300 each new on eBay. The right price for a great ski.

But, that 130 range is great for pow in east coast trees at 172cm and for Cham lines at 186cm.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    RENEGADES!
    Got a pair of these coming. :-) looking forward to see how they ski. I expect them to be better than the 115-118 range. Of course, I am still looking for the 132mm range.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Monoski?
    Scary sh*t but some guys can do it. I followed Piff down the entrance to the Cosmiques Couloir one time. He made jump turns around rocks on 50º look basic. I wished I had down climbed it with ice gear.... But, they float high in the pow...

Got a pair of these coming. :-) looking forward to see how they ski. I expect them to be better than the 115-118 range. Of course, I am still looking for the 132mm range.
    It really depends on how you like to ski (neutral vs drive the tips), but I loved the Renegade in pow and thought it skied steep, firm snow WAY better than other skis I've used. The long radius and taper make for fantastic edge hold that is concentrated underfoot on steep, firm snow.

A lot of pow skis these days are pin tailed -- the tail is significantly narrower than the tip. This makes for a really great experience in pow, but I struggle to keep the tail from washing out on steep firm snow. Might be pilot error, but I personally would not buy a pintail ski for Cham steeps.

For the ultra-fat, just get a DPS Spoon. But really, I question the need for such a wide ski. I've skied some DEEP days on the Renegade and, as long as you're going fast and/or it's steep enough, it floats just fine in bottomless.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    For the ultra-fat, just get a DPS Spoon. But really, I question the need for such a wide ski. I've skied some DEEP days on the Renegade and, as long as you're going fast and/or it's steep enough, it floats just fine in bottomless.
    Totally agree, but you kinda answered your own question. Renegades wouldn't be my choice for, say, noodling around in shallow angle trees. They'll float in anything if you can open 'em up a bit, but there does exist terrain where you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    They’re a little old, but the Cham127 was designed for your exact location.
    Manufacturers don’t make super fats, because they had to give them away.
    I got my 127’s for $129 new/delivered.
    I was going to suggest this, I might be persuaded to part with mine.