Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    A lot of pow skis these days are pin tailed -- the tail is significantly narrower than the tip. This makes for a really great experience in pow, but I struggle to keep the tail from washing out on steep firm snow. Might be pilot error, but I personally would not buy a pintail ski for Cham steeps..
    Weak tails are a recipe for tomahawking because there is no back seat when you get knocked back by ice or rock, and especially a problem with a pack full of alpine gear. I retired a nice pair of carbon fiber 124mm skis to NH meadow skipping for this reason. Many people go for a straight tail and rocker tip. Interesting, the kuros never had this problem.

Examples of problem areas are getting onto the glacier rond, the start of the cosmiques, or the direct entrance to the marbrées. Short sections of firm leading to long pow runs.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Totally agree, but you kinda answered your own question. Renegades wouldn't be my choice for, say, noodling around in shallow angle trees. They'll float in anything if you can open 'em up a bit, but there does exist terrain where you can't.
    These should work fine in Cham or on local mtw snow fields, but may be little tougher to ski in the tight trees around nh..,,good training .... :-)

I love the renegades in tight forests. They pivot on a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I love the renegades in tight forests. They pivot on a dime.
    Excellent!

The next question whether to mount them with dynafit rotation 12 bindings (dynafit Hoji free ride boots) or marker dukes (Lange RX 130s). Fumbling with pins during a pow frenzy is not ideal, but dukes + alpine boots make for a big workout on the uphill. The bigger and wider skies work better with real boots... the hojis seem pretty solid on the 1 run I have skied them.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpturn View Post
    Excellent!

The next question whether to mount them with dynafit rotation 12 bindings (dynafit Hoji free ride boots) or marker dukes (Lange RX 130s). Fumbling with pins during a pow frenzy is not ideal, but dukes + alpine boots make for a big workout on the uphill. The bigger and wider skies work better with real boots... the hojis seem pretty solid on the 1 run I have skied them.
    ATK Freeraider 14
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos