Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Season in Europe slowly slipping away. Talk of partial lockdowns continuing into January. Gotta wonder if the resorts will open at all seeing as Christmas is a large portion of the years revenue.

sumco, co.
    lively banter in comments
    https://www.summitdaily.com/news/sum...oon-as-friday/
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I'm going with Mount Rose. They opened today. The governor has said there will be a mandatory shutdown starting Wednesday if the metrics hadn't improved since he announced the voluntary shutdown two Tuesdays ago. Since then the states 7 day moving average of new cases has increased from roughly 1300/day to 1800/day. Washoe County where Rose is located has hit three new daily records in that frame as well.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Who is closing the lifts at Taos protecting? Is the fear of outsiders really well thought out when the virus is already in the community? If workers are scarred for their lives, could they find other work with less or no exposure? Am I selfish if I want to work at a ski area, and hope to have it open so I can get a paycheck? Am I selfish if I want my friends that work or own restaurants to be able to serve people who want to eat there?

If I am wiling to take a risk to recreate in a mask, am I putting you at greater risk? The only real argument I see here is the people who are healthcare providers, and even they chose a profession where they deal with infectious disease every day.

The comments section in that summit daily article did get to me. It seems like many people want to force others to their will on both sides. I am shocked by the vitriol which seems so pointed and heated. doesn't seem like the summit county where I met my wife and started our lives together. There were always the haves and the have nots, but I always felt like everyone was out for the greater good of the community. I guess people show their true colors behind screen names. The Callous disregard for people living pay check to pay check is a real disconnect from 95% of society.

If one supports the closing option, it's inaccurate to categorize the choice as a callous disregard.

It's an ugly choice in order to limit spread of the virus to tourists and their communities as well as the resort communities.

It's not simple. It's a fucked choice we need to make in order to have an economy in 6 months.

It's a shame that it's been so politicized and that there's no safety net for those who depend on the week to week paycheck.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    The comments section in that summit daily article did get to me. It seems like many people want to force others to their will on both sides. I am shocked by the vitriol which seems so pointed and heated. doesn't seem like the summit county where I met my wife and started our lives together. There were always the haves and the have nots, but I always felt like everyone was out for the greater good of the community. I guess people show their true colors behind screen names. The Callous disregard for people living pay check to pay check is a real disconnect from 95% of society.

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS. I've likened it to looking into a pit toilet. There's nothing good to see down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    NEVER READ THE COMMENTS. I've likened it to looking into a pit toilet. There's nothing good to see down there.
    Great analogy, I'm gonna steal it.

It's a stew of white privelege on massive amounts of high quality legal drugs and excellent craft beverages, many of whom have made a really big gamble in signing a six month lease.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 11-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.

lol

It’s the opposite for me.
    The comments teach me more about pubic opinion than the articles do.

In fact, my definition of fake news is news with no comments section.
    Left or right. If you can’t hear your readership you are out of touch.
    . . .

Well for better or worse, no comment section, but a pretty good read: https://time.com/5913620/covid-third-wave/

The most disturbing part: "Almost 40% of respondents to a recent Ohio State University survey said they plan to gather with at least 10 people for Thanksgiving".

It seems quite common, the idiot notion that it's somehow less risky to have T-day dinner with folks outside your household, just because they're related to you (our dinner will be only with our household). My wife works in healthcare, and many of her colleagues are traveling to t-day it with their families - of anyone, they should fkn know better!

Thanksgiving will be a disaster. And as a result, resort ski season will be DONE by or before Christmas, I have to think.

Yup. America is going to commit mass suicide and elder genocide over turkey.

I'm so tired of this shit. At this point we're a week out with no results from the test. My partner feels fine (she had a sore throat and no fever) and I never had any symptoms of anything. I can't go back to work until she gets her test. I just called my mom to cancel our Christmas plans and we have no plans for Thanksgiving. We have a coworker that's "quarantining" so he can drive to Seattle for his family Thanksgiving so he's working from home and can't help at work. My ex is being extra cautious and having our daughter stay with me until the test results come back. Before this I would define her as taking precautions but certainly not stopping her from having drinks with her friends and their families all gathered together at someones house. Pretty much fuck this.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    lol

It’s the opposite for me.
    The comments teach me more about pubic opinion than the articles do.

In fact, my definition of fake news is news with no comments section.
    Left or right. If you can’t hear your readership you are out of touch.
    Considering half are trolls and another large percentage are bots, I’d say it is a pretty tough thing to filter. Just like what’s in a pit toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yup. America is going to commit mass suicide and elder genocide over turkey.
    We’ve been needing a good herd culling for awhile, though.

Considering half are trolls and another large percentage are bots, I’d say it is a pretty tough thing to filter. Just like what’s in a pit toilet.
    Fox News used to list the number of comments and join date on the profiles of people commenting on their stories. I started doing the math on names I kept seeing, found numerous "people" that were commenting 200+ times a day, 365 days a year. It truly is a pit toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    It truly is a bot toilet.
    I'll take credit for that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Fox News used to list the number of comments and join date on the profiles of people commenting on their stories. I started doing the math on names I kept seeing, found numerous "people" that were commenting 200+ times a day, 365 days a year. It truly is a pit toilet.
    That's bot numbers.

^^^^

"It's not simple. It's a fucked choice we need to make in order to have an economy in 6 months."

Actually it is not that simple and many small businesses will make it to the other side. So save people and have no economy = actually not saving anything. We will end up not saving people and only have more shattered dreams.

“Damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy (stuff) we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.” - Fight Club
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

The problem with the Summit Daily comment section is the newspaper gives no fucks. The honey wagon never drains that pit toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

First to Close???

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    ^^^^

"It's not simple. It's a fucked choice we need to make in order to have an economy in 6 months."

Actually it is not that simple and many small businesses will make it to the other side. So save people and have no economy = actually not saving anything. We will end up not saving people and only have more shattered dreams.

“Damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy (stuff) we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War is a spiritual war. Our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.” - Fight Club
    Name:  IMG_0114.JPG
Views: 1454
Size:  54.2 KB

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

What's really weird is the Summit Daily is part of the same company that runs the Sierra Sun in Tahoe. But the Sun is only updated a couple times a week, and I don't think anyone actually reads it, and there are never any comments on any articles.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    What's really weird is the Summit Daily is part of the same company that runs the Sierra Sun in Tahoe. But the Sun is only updated a couple times a week, and I don't think anyone actually reads it, and there are never any comments on any articles.
    I love their surveys before they let me in. I enjoy fucking with marketing departments. Yeah, I'm buying those sneakers I never heard of. Sure. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    ^^^^

Just think how easy it will be to open a restaraunt on the other side of this. Cheap money, thousands and thousands of ready to go spaces with discounted rents, millions of experienced employees to choose from. Incredible pent up demand from customers. Reset!

no bots b cruzin summit daily comments...mayb some around IRL....
    those pits in the comments...those b real tho....and the pulse of teh peebles
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post

If I am wiling to take a risk to recreate in a mask, am I putting you at greater risk? The only real argument I see here is the people who are healthcare providers, and even they chose a profession where they deal with infectious disease every day.
    That has to be one of the most entitled and insensitive remarks I've heard in a long time. And I say that as someone who operated on dozens of people with AIDs and Hepatitis C and a few with TB without hesitation. And also as someone who agrees with you that closing ski resorts makes no sense as long as the resorts can keep their employees safe. Outdoor recreation should be encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    The Sun has been better of late--there is some actual news besides HS sports and the exploits of local ski racers. It's worth glancing at. It's got a ways to go before it's as good as Moonshine Ink. But better read it quick--they change editors more often than I change my underwear (TMI?) and the next one may go back to the fluff