Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    This. "Skiing" for a huge amount of people means going away for the weekend getting hammered and skiing 2 laps between 11am and noon and then being in a bar until 12am.
    Wait, that's not skiing?

I'm going with A-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    That's alarming but even easier to see how government would step in on ski resorts.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Yup, see my concurrent post about the Health Department.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Benny in your opinion what is a bad financial decision about hosting the World Cup? And what would they be obligated to have to pay for an event that was canceled well before the date?
    It costs the mountain a million dollars to host that event. A million dollars that could be more sensibly spent elsewhere. All for dubious PR and bragging rights of some sort.

And, who knows with international sport hosting contracts. Maybe already pre paid. But, doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Except people have been flocking to small towns. Missoula, Bozeman, Kalispell? It's almost crowded, I tells ya! Oh, and 0% vacancy rate on rentals no matter how fast they build.
    Sounds just like Vermont. There hasn’t been a rental open in 5 months for more then 24 hours. And this foliage was one of the craziest I’ve seen in the last ten years. People were everywhere. I keep wondering how our numbers our so low but it’s becoming apparent that it’s hard for the numbers to go up when there is zero testing. Seems like the only place that is testing in Vermont is that dump of Burlington. Real Vermont seems to be doing ok.

That being said, Stowe will be this first to close or somewhere in summit county CO. It’s not gonna be the college kids that spread it, It’s gonna be the dirty college grads that never left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It costs the mountain a million dollars to host that event. A million dollars that could be more sensibly spent elsewhere. All for dubious PR and bragging rights of some sort.

And, who knows with international sport hosting contracts. Maybe already pre paid. But, doubtful.
    Wait. I’m confused. Did the World Cup start Killington? You act as if there is no existence of a mountain with out a bunch of spandex laden pros for one race. Did beaver creek close? I mean surely sugarloaf couldn’t survive hosting big races and losing them. And oh Jeez and another mountain I can think of that has shuttered because of no Olympics is whiteface.

You are right Benny without the race at killington this year they are sure to join sugarloaf, whiteface and beaver creek as “shut down due to loss of races”.

Jezuz. Are you high?

I didn't say it would close. I just think it's a stupid way to spend money. Especially a mountain that was bankrupt not too long ago.

Jezuz. Are you high?

I didn't say it would close. I just think it's a stupid way to spend money. Especially a mountain that was bankrupt not too long ago.
    And I’m saying that the World Cup won’t make or break killington. Never has and never will. They were bankrupt along with a ton of other mountains in America at the time and the entire industry had to restructure.

Also I’m glad you think is a stupid way to spend money but I don’t know that anyone at killington cares what you think. On top of that the injection of tourist money into the area during that week far out weighs the million dollars it costs to host the event or else they wouldn’t be doing it and it would be back out west.

Skiing is just like farming. Some years you win, lots of years you lose.

Well Cervinia opened Saturday (24th October) and was shut today aong with a couple of other italian resorts by the goverment.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Well Cervinia opened Saturday (24th October) and was shut today aong with a couple of other italian resorts by the goverment.
    Did they have well planned openings or permission to open?

We have a winner!!!!!! Way to go Italy!

Is that $1M gross, like before TV revenue, ticket sales, VIP packages, and hospitality revenue? Or like $1M net on top of having 35,000 people come to the resort for the weekend?
    I'm still confused on who you think they are paying? Do they pay the US Ski team to hold the race? Do they pay the FIS? Do they have to bribe Olympic officials?

You have to talk to the accountants. All I know is that Salimano is on record with the million dollar figure. Fuck, all that snowmaking alone must be up there.

To answer the second part of your question, probably all three. Easily the first two. I'll bet that a lot of the teams are provided lodging and maybe meals. Do you think they bring that circus for free?

POWDR proved itself to be a not too smart corporation by losing Park City, and now they've chosen Killington, their now premier hill, as the racing venue. I still fail to see what, as a passholder for many years, what that racing brings for me. I really could care less, and it pisses me off that the company spends a million bucks a year for that vanity party, when a million could go very far elsewhere, or at least reduce debt. I don't want to see another bankruptcy in my lifetime.
    At least they finally built (almost) a new base lodge, but I suspect that was all designed for good views of the slalom course.

You have to talk to the accountants. All I know is that Salimano is on record with the million dollar figure. Fuck, all that snowmaking alone must be up there.
    Don't they need to make snow there anyways? and ski that run until June on the snow they made?
    A typical East Coast resort spends between $500,000 to $3,500,000 on snowmaking per year. So even if Killington in on the top end, like $3.5M, your saying they spend 1/4 of their annual snowmaking budget on one run, in like 15 days?

Have you ever seen it? It's all before Thanksgiving, which, some years, means starting all over again after the inevitable rain. It's a very expensive, labor intensive procedure that is exclusively for the race. You can't even ski it for days after the race because mortals would die on that ice, and the crews are given some time off from the prep of the last month.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Did they have well planned openings or permission to open?

Planned opening, knee jerk political closure due to what is going on elsewhere in Italy.

To put the situation in perspective, the Aiguille du Midi has been running at FULL capacity since they gave up with partial loads in early June! and NONE of the lift operators have caught COVID! But if you are not wearing a mask you won't get as far as the turnstyle and there is a temperature scanner before the turnstyle, along with this mask wearing outside (but in town) has been mandatory for months here - When I visit the val d'aosta they are MORE carefull about masks, hand washing and social distancing than we are in the Arve valley
    Knowledge is Powder

Have you ever seen it?
    Yes, I have seen it.
    The run is open to 5 to 6 days after the event.

And totally worth it.

And totally worth it.
    I’ll add International Sporting Event Management and Budgeting to the expertise section on your resume. Shall I put above or under your expertise in Ski Resort Management and Operations? Maybe after your expertise in Resort Acquisitions and Mergers, since you’re an expert on that subject as well.
    POWDR proved itself to be a not too smart corporation by losing Park City

You just want to argue with me, right?

But, in one case, I'll bite. Are you familiar with the whole Park City debacle? Really?

My bet, Colorado or California governor calls state wide shut down and then vail closes everywhere. Of course New Mexico will never open, so they probably have already won this contest.

Summit county hands down closed before they open govt is run by communists who get paychecks no matter what they will wait till Nov 5th to officially pull the plug is the rumor pretty much everyone has the flu here seriously

You just want to argue with me, right?
    Not really. You just speak about subjects that you have no understanding about.
    When TGR wants your opinion on 24 lb vs 60 lb or 20 lb bond copy paper from your years at Dunder Milfflin Paper Co we will reach out.

Are you well?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    My bet, Colorado or California governor calls state wide shut down and then vail closes everywhere. Of course New Mexico will never open, so they probably have already won this contest.
    Nope. Gotta open first. Those are the rules.