Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just think how easy it will be to open a restaraunt on the other side of this. Cheap money, thousands and thousands of ready to go spaces with discounted rents, millions of experienced employees to choose from. Incredible pent up demand from customers. Reset!
    chef's cooking in the restaurant for the corporate entity with lots of cashwho bought the restaurant they built and owned, till they went bankrupt and sold to cover debts.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    chef's cooking in the restaurant for the corporate entity with lots of cashwho bought the restaurant they built and owned, till they went bankrupt and sold to cover debts.
    That might actually work out well for everyone involved. It’s a brutal business.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I’m waiting to book a new yrs trip through wolf creek and purgatory.

What’s the delta on co resorts not even being open?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

no one knows anything in colorado
    that is the only answer to your question the people who make the rules don't have a clue

the rules change daily lots of misinformation lots of who is going to enforce all this
    but yeah summit county has a "tip" line so you can narc on people like a good snitch

people I know at the resort have been on zoom meetings for months getting fed all kinds of bullshit but none of it has an answer to any straight forward questions
    vail is probably going to run it until they have no choice but to close and who knows what that means cause no one knows anything
    economic doom is right around the corner for most people if not already here

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/sum...n-ski-resorts/

I think we will know in about 2 weeks whether we stand a chance at keeping in on simmer or if it is just gonna keep boiling over until there is a vaccine. Extreme views on both sides excepted, there is a decreasing willingness for the business community to blindly follow nonsensical regulation. I know of vacation managers refunding money and cancelling reservations because the group size is too large or too many households. How is that gonna go over when the next door neighbors (or STR) have 20 non-masking people packed in for Turkey Day? I think the fuck you flag is gonna go up big time.

It seems like government is just throwing shit at the wall. Without enforcement, the rules follower will bear the economic brunt of the regs with minimal public health benefit.

Today people are flying on vacation. Tomorrow they will begin getting infected. In about a week there viral load will be the highest. Next weekend symptomatic people will be getting on airplanes to go home (who is gonna quarantine there family in a hotel room?). Next Monday they will be back home. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It seems like government is just throwing shit at the wall. Without enforcement, the rules follower will bear the economic brunt of the regs with minimal public health benefit.
    Ouch. So true. Collectively failing at the Prisoner's Dilemma. That certainly seems to be the mindset of my local ski area and a few of the businesses. "We're about to be fucked so why leave any money on the table?"

Without enforcement, the rules follower will bear the economic brunt of the regs with minimal public health benefit
    Some of us have been saying exactly this behind the scenes for 6+ months.

One part of the government wants to enforce. The part that does the enforcing does not. The part in charge of them both hasn't interceded. That may be changing... but even if there is a little bit of will now, I question if there is a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just think how easy it will be to open a restaraunt on the other side of this. Cheap money, thousands and thousands of ready to go spaces with discounted rents, millions of experienced employees to choose from. Incredible pent up demand from customers. Reset!
    you're pretty famous around here for posting really stupid stuff and this is why.

Compliance would probably been a better choice of words. The problem with enforcement is the low hanging fruit gets hit first. My crowd didn't really have parties or go out much before the pandemic so I'd don't have a really educated opinion but it sounds like many places the non-existent bar scene has just gone underground to where there is no collective accountability. It just seems like a responsible bar or restaurant with protocols in place and some level of accountability is a better option.

I mean, what is a restaurant was advertising, "Dinner for 10 no-more than 2 families, social distant seating, compliant food ordering and delivery". Wouldn't that be a better option than some type of boozy potluck with everyone getting all huggy kissy then yelling at each other?

For anyone waiting for test results to appear in an online portal:

Call. I had some results not appear for 4 days. I called. Test was done on day two but not uploaded to portal.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Compliance would probably been a better choice of words. The problem with enforcement is the low hanging fruit gets hit first. My crowd didn't really have parties or go out much before the pandemic so I'd don't have a really educated opinion but it sounds like many places the non-existent bar scene has just gone underground to where there is no collective accountability. It just seems like a responsible bar or restaurant with protocols in place and some level of accountability is a better option.

I mean, what is a restaurant was advertising, "Dinner for 10 no-more than 2 families, social distant seating, compliant food ordering and delivery". Wouldn't that be a better option than some type of boozy potluck with everyone getting all huggy kissy then yelling at each other?
    I agree. Sure seems like it would be better to limit lodging versus closing all these businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by steadieflow View Post
    I agree. Sure seems like it would be better to limit lodging versus closing all these businesses.
    Please stop suggesting bars and restaurants are ways to keep the disease from spreading. They are absolutely non essential. 90% of the safeguards you see in the front of the house don't exist in the back of the house. If you just come in with folks from your household does that magically mean the kitchen staff that has to spend 8 hours together is from the same household?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That has to be one of the most entitled and insensitive remarks I've heard in a long time. And I say that as someone who operated on dozens of people with AIDs and Hepatitis C and a few with TB without hesitation. And also as someone who agrees with you that closing ski resorts makes no sense as long as the resorts can keep their employees safe. Outdoor recreation should be encouraged.
    I honestly am sorry to have offended you.

I had a job right out of school where I was working with AIDs patients and the mentally ill. I had to change career paths because it was so sad I couldn't sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

One part of the government wants to enforce. The part that does the enforcing does not. The part in charge of them both hasn't interceded. That may be changing... but even if there is a little bit of will now, I question if there is a way.
    It's been clear from the beginning that covid restrictions and mandates are dependent on the great majority of people following them voluntarily. In a country where nearly half the population is delusional that isn't going to happen.
    Meanwhile--in Fresno CA the Catholic bishop is telling Catholics not to take the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines because fetal stem cells were used in the initial development stages. I don't know how the Pope feels about it; he isn't returning my calls.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Please stop suggesting bars and restaurants are ways to keep the disease from spreading. They are absolutely non essential. 90% of the safeguards you see in the front of the house don't exist in the back of the house. If you just come in with folks from your household does that magically mean the kitchen staff that has to spend 8 hours together is from the same household?
    There's some pretty big underlying societal reasons why you can't just close bars and restaurants indefinitely. While I do agree that they are a large part of the spread now, especially since the weather has gotten colder. They employ too many people, and those are some of the people who are at biggest risk of losing their housing, congregating in large groups or communal housing, and suicide. They need these jobs more than the people who are going to restaurants need to be able to go to restaurants. Eating at a restaurant is a luxury, but it also provides a support network for the people who make these towns go round.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I honestly am sorry to have offended you.

I had a job right out of school where I was working with AIDs patients and the mentally ill. I had to change career paths because it was so sad I couldn't sleep at night.
    I wasn't personally offended. I'm thinking of the nurses primarily--those are mainly the ones who are getting sick and sometimes dying--and the nursing profession is aging so many are high risk. People don't go into nursing and other medical fields expecting to have a significant risk of dying. It's not as if they signed up for Doctors Without Borders. And yet the vast majority keep going to work every day, whether or not they have decent PPE, whether or not they have adequate staffing, whether or not they have adequate time off between shifts to recover, whether or not they have a close friend and coworker get seriously ill or die.

sounds like my brother basketball pick up games a couple times a week they go have a dinner party with a bunch of friends one nite hit the bar the next then drag the fam to my parents house the third night and someone at the dinner party comes down with the flu on tuesday everyone has a different perspective in life when you have a couple friends murdered while in high school you look at shit differently so some things aren't worth giving a fuck about

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    sounds like my brother basketball pick up games a couple times a week they go have a dinner party with a bunch of friends one nite hit the bar the next then drag the fam to my parents house the third night and someone at the dinner party comes down with the flu on tuesday everyone has a different perspective in life when you have a couple friends murdered while in high school you look at shit differently so some things aren't worth giving a fuck about
    Grammar and punctuation are things you should look into. It sounds like you're saying you know someone who died when you were younger so you don't care about people dying now. Or maybe you're saying your brother feels that way. It's hard to tell.

That's going to be my standard reply to everything from now on.

Cop asks why I was going so fast, "I had a couple friends murdered in high school so I don't give a shit".
    Wife asks if I took the garbage out, "I had a couple friends murdered in high school so I don't give a shit".
    Waitress asks if I want some water, "I had a couple friends murdered in high school so I don't give a shit".

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Not what I am saying. There will be transmission. Recent transmission has been primarily driven from households and parties. Halloween screwed us.

There is logic in the argument that restaurants are actually safer and more controlled environment versus what is going on with short term lodging. Unfortunately now there is too much virus in communities it makes restaurants more risky than a couple months ago.

Personally we have not been out to restaurants except on a couple occasions since this all started. My wife is around COVID so we have been really careful. Regular testing etc.

By your logic how is having a ski resort open make sense? No limits on lodging? So thousands of tourists can come into ski towns?

Shut it all down then. Acting like we can control spread over the holidays while tourists pack into these towns and ski on a couple open runs because restaurants are closed to indoor dining is a joke.

Unless individuals change their behavior we will see increasing transmission even with these restrictions. That is my point. Businesses will be done without aid and we are not going to slow this wave unless it all gets shut down. The toothpaste is out of the tube good luck getting it back in.

I'm definitely not saying having a ski area open makes sense. I think we should shut down with supports in place for businesses and employees. Keep in mind, even if you keep restaurants open there aren't enough diners for anywhere near all of them to survive. They're not just being crushed by government restrictions.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    grammer and puntuactions overated

van aint
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

Think how fucking nuts it is that NYC just closed it's schools but kept restaraunts open. What a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    No matter how bad it gets, I have a hard time imagining the government in Utah, Idaho or Wyoming would force resorts to shut down. Schools, restaurants and everything else is open despite dire situations, why would they care about resorts?
    True, I'm hoping NV will follow suit

The morgue is aggressively hiring. Not kidding.