Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Because outdoor exercise is a super spreader?

Fack

I hope you’re doing your part and not using those passes
    I didn't read the article, but around here its more about the travel, lodging, bars, and idiots in crowds/liftlines not wearing masks or not wearing masks properly.

Things have been working pretty well in MT. I don't foresee any closures. It helps not to be near a population center. Big Sky brings in the most tourists and they are being pretty good about enforcing masks, etc. Bars and restaurants in town are at 50% capacity, and I see a lot of people getting takeout and drinking outdoors (that's what we do). Not perfect, but as they say we can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Just looking at the whole operation I don't really see any high risk activities happening. There have been cases among employees of course, but nothing that has really slowed operations. We have been avoiding holidays and skiing more local areas. Our local ski area pretty much has zero tolerance for anti-maskers. They have handled things very well IMO.

^^^ Doesn't matter anyway, our Governor will never close anything.

RE Big Sky: The liftline management is better than years past but I have noticed the ticket checkers are getting more aggressive about grouping people onto chairs, particularly 6-Shooter, probably cause of the line length. If they would run that chair faster it would help.

It was designed to run at 1000 FPS right now it runs at about 675. I understand that it runs at < than designed due to the bend at Twr 24, ironic that it was Big Sky that forced us to make that change.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    But, from what I understand, there's hundreds skinning.
    Yep, here too. What’s the harm in that though? Keeps people outside, keeps us sane. I tell ya if I was locked inside watching it snow on the ski run 5 minutes from my house I would be in a bad place mentally right now. As to the people coming to our town from the big city for a tour, to sled or walk in the snow, that’s a different and more complex conversation..

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Doesn't matter anyway, our Governor will never close anything.

RE Big Sky: The liftline management is better than years past but I have noticed the ticket checkers are getting more aggressive about grouping people onto chairs, particularly 6-Shooter, probably cause of the line length. If they would run that chair faster it would help.

It was designed to run at 1000 FPS right now it runs at about 675. I understand that it runs at < than designed due to the bend at Twr 24, ironic that it was Big Sky that forced us to make that change.
    Karma is a bitch. I avoid 6-shooter if at all possible.

You're right that they are doing more aggressive grouping, though I think you can always say no. I've kinda said fuck it as far as riding with strangers goes, although I still have yet to sit right next to a stranger. Probably done 15-20 tram rides, double masked, with my mouth tucked down into my shell. If the virus is hiding inside my coat I'm fucked lol.

How many ski areas in France don't involve a long mandatory tram or gondola? (I've only skied Chamonix--I'm asking, not telling)
    What's odd around here is that people want to share a chair with strangers when there's no line, the kind of day when pre pandemic they probably would have ridden solo. I ride with strangers with room between us any time there's any kind of line but with no line it's nice to be able to pull my mask down on the chair.
    I did ride with a guy--older guy, white beard--with a valved mask which I didn't notice until after he was on the chair.
    Last edited by old goat; 01-21-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How many ski areas in France don't involve a long mandatory tram or gondola?
    I don't know, but in the Dolomites Trams and Gondolas are absolutely essential. And just about all the skier-flow bottlenecks happen at Gondolas or Trams.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How many ski areas in France don't involve a long mandatory tram or gondola? (I've only skied Chamonix--I'm asking, not telling)
    What's odd around here is that people want to share a chair with strangers when there's no line, the kind of day when pre pandemic they probably would have ridden solo. I ride with strangers with room between us any time there's any kind of line but with no line it's nice to be able to pull my mask down on the chair.
    I did ride with a guy--older guy, white beard--with a valved mask which I didn't notice until after he was on the chair.
    Val disere can be effectively skied without tub/boat rides.

Buddy that lives there is having the best season. Just a different kind of hot lap.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I didn't read the article, but around here its more about the travel, lodging, bars, and idiots in crowds/liftlines not wearing masks or not wearing masks properly.
    Yup, this is the key. I'll sacrifice the money I've spent and the rest of the list-served season if it means they shut down tourist attractions. People need to stop traveling. There is no valid reason to be taking a vacation of any kind at the moment, and there won't be for many more months. However, Americans are a selfish, ignorant people, and unless the things they are traveling to go and do are shut down, they'll keep traveling.

While you are right, Americans have grown tired of being inconvenienced just because some old people who were going to die anyway are mucking up their fun. /S
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    While you are right, Americans have grown tired of being inconvenienced just because some old people who were going to die anyway are mucking up their fun. /S
    Damn, good point. Strike my previous post from the record.

Does Dodge Ridge count? They closed on the 19th and are expected to reopen on the 28th. The Covid aerosolized, combined with 150mph+ winds, and killed all these trees, many of which fell on their communications lines
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141784013_3214726538627917_5809479744004227599_o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	359298

cat track no more
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141078525_3214726545294583_7829129130468307806_o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	359299
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That's an aggressive glading program.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    That's an aggressive glading program.
    if you say that....YOU should know what you're talking about.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Reading today--with France closed Swiss resorts are mobbed.

Skiing storm days in Austria with 15 cars in the parking lot. FFP2 mandatory on lifts, but I'd duct tape over my face to keep skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Skiing storm days in Austria with 15 cars in the parking lot. FFP2 mandatory on lifts, but I'd duct tape over my face to keep skiing.
    Get it dude! We are 12 km from the AT border but can’t visit, our lifts are not running. Good year to live in rural Austria

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Get it dude! We are 12 km from the AT border but can’t visit, our lifts are not running. Good year to live in rural Austria
    Yeah, the world is fucked, but I'm counting my blessings!

[QUOTE=JRainey;6211855]Yeah, the world is fucked, but I'm counting my blessings![/QUOTE
    Hopefully 12k vertical of them a day!

Ontario set to open Feb 10 or whatever. Booked a day ticket for Feb 18 at Blue Mountain. Excited to crush the 750' of gaper groomers all day, lift lines should be horrendous but who really knows.

Stoke thread coming should it pan out. Y'all ain't seen skiing 'till you've seen Ontario skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Ontario set to open Feb 10 or whatever. Booked a day ticket for Feb 18 at Blue Mountain. Excited to crush the 750' of gaper groomers all day, lift lines should be horrendous but who really knows.

Stoke thread coming should it pan out. Y'all ain't seen skiing 'till you've seen Ontario skiing.
    You got this info from where?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    You got this info from where?
    As of right now they have not extended the lockdown or stay-at-home order. You are currently free to purchase day tickets at various Ontario hills right now. I bought one for Blue Mtn. on the 18th, and checked Horseshoe and you could buy them there as well.

I fully expect our stupid-as-shit government to go ahead and extend everything and get a full refund, but like I said, as of this moment businesses (and ski hills) are set to open up on Feb 10 when the lockdown/stay-at-home order ends.

Also as an example of how stupid this government is, take a look at the calendar - strange they picked a Wednesday to lift restrictions, isn't it? Well, if you look at the 2020 February calendar you'll notice that the 10th falls on a more predictable Monday. These idiots can't even look at the right goddamn calendar when writing up their laws.

Also as an example of how stupid this government is, take a look at the calendar - strange they picked a Wednesday to lift restrictions, isn't it? Well, if you look at the 2020 February calendar you'll notice that the 10th falls on a more predictable Monday. These idiots can't even look at the right goddamn calendar when writing up their laws.
    That's a bit of a stretch don't you think. Around here there were a lot of complaints becaue they reopened on a weekend. Chances are they are taking into account things you haven't considered. To be clear, your argument does not make THEM sound like idiots.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's a bit of a stretch don't you think. Around here there were a lot of complaints becaue they reopened on a weekend. Chances are they are taking into account things you haven't considered. To be clear, your argument does not make THEM sound like idiots.
    Thank you for your interest in hearing the Paulster's tales on Pandemic Ontario. On January 12 our former drug-dealer Premier said: “Based on the advice of the chief medical officer of health schools in Windsor-Essex, Peel, Toronto, York and Hamilton will remain closed for in-person learning until Feb. 10”. This was later extended to all southern Ontario school districts.

Yesterday they come out and say "All schools (except Peel + Toronto + York) are reopening on February 8. Peel Toronto York will open on Tuesday Feb 16 (Monday the 15th is a holiday)."

Trust me man - every lockdown, stay at home order, school shutdown, whatever has ended at 00:00 on a Monday. When the government sat down and made the very important and impactful decision to extend the school closures, they were looking at the wrong fucking calendar.

There's a long laundry list of fuck-ups and misfires this government has had before COVID-19 even showed up. People were saying "looks like Doug Ford (the Premier) has changed!" I would reply "I wouldn't expect a pandemic to suddenly make this leadership competent." Turns out I was right, and this is just one tiny example. Yes I agree it sounds pedantic, but when taken with the bigger picture and shitshow of the past ~3 years, it's not.

Dude you ski at Blue? lol

(me too)