Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Read half of the New Yorker article and the sympathetic tone had me wanting to puke.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Read half of the New Yorker article and the sympathetic tone had me wanting to puke.
    not sure it went that way at the end ,but i kinda did pick up on that same feeling of sympathy in the writing... a bit ...i think DL maybe is such a charismatic character/subject that a writer may sway in his direction
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Its a good thing that charismatic assholes can't run for president!........................................ ......

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Subscribed.

How else would I learn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-accident.html

Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, 47, breaks her tailbone in an accident jumping out of a ski lift with daughter Princess Ingrid over Christmas
    No doubt there were numerous consultants called in to examine her tailbone.

Subscribed.

How else would I learn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-accident.html

Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, 47, breaks her tailbone in an accident jumping out of a ski lift with daughter Princess Ingrid over Christmas
    One of my go-too's for that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    One of my go-too's for that reason!
    Wow. Fucking vail bought wildcat?

And it was the first to close. From power outage

And epic gapers are pissed
    https://www.conwaydailysun.com/busin...b06890d0d.html

I must admit, covid work from (their new home) asshats complaining about wildcat not having enough snowmaking made me chuckle
    . . .

I must admit, covid work from (their new home) asshats complaining about wildcat not having enough snowmaking made me chuckle
    No, Hunter closed for three days last week, and that was for reasons directly related to positive Covid results.

And, I absolutely agree with the reports in the article that Vail sucks at communication with their customers. I still have not received an email or text from them about last weekend's Hunter closure, and I reserved and drove up the first day of the shutdown. Facebook and Twitter are much better info sources than corporate. That is sad.

Canada (and, well, America) closed for another month.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...rder-to-feb-21

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Could be Aspen... their incidence rate is straight up insane: >2.5% of Pitkin residents tested positive for COVID in the last 2 weeks while having 10.8% positivity.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/poss...mains-unknown/

The new restrictions they imposed are still going to be too little, too late. We need a full shut down for 2-4 weeks, otherwise it's just going to keep circulating.

Stay at home order for Ontario for the next 28 days. I wager that our ski season is over.

From today's NY Times
    Dear Tripped Up,

I live in Massachusetts and had hoped to ski at Okemo Mountain Resort as much as possible this year. However, in November, Vermont announced a new set of cross-state travel guidelines, which include a mandatory quarantine that makes it all-but-impossible to visit regularly throughout the winter. Despite a blitz of preseason assurances of risk-free booking on seasonal ski passes, Vail Resorts, Okemo’s parent company, is refusing to issue pass refunds for people facing state quarantine requirements. The silence is telling: Where’s the corporate responsibility? Rob
    Dear Rob,

Your travel predicament — about an outdoor, socially distanced activity, the issue of quarantines and the inability to get a refund — is just about as “2020” (whoops, 2021) as it gets.

Ski resorts around the country are open this year, but despite a slew of new safety measures including increased cleaning, capacity limits, timed tickets and off-limits indoor dining, they are not faring well. In an earnings call in December, Vail Resorts announced a net revenue decrease of 51 percent for its first quarter fiscal-year 2021 (the three months ending Oct. 31, 2020).

Vail Resorts, one of the biggest players in the ski industry, has more than 30 resorts across 15 states. Eight of those states, Vermont included, currently have quarantine or testing mandates — and sometimes a combination of both — for out-of-state travelers.

According to Ted Brady, the deputy secretary of the Vermont Agency Commerce and Community Development, Vermont’s new travel restrictions — which require a 14-day quarantine or a seven-day quarantine plus a negative PCR test, either completed at home or in Vermont — have reduced the number of skiers and snowboarders coming into the state this year. He said resorts reported a 50-to-70 percent decline in bookings over the holiday season.

“The State of Vermont issued some of the strictest ski resort guidance in the country,” Mr. Brady said in an emailed statement. “Most notably, this guidance requires all guests to attest that they meet the quarantine requirements and understand that failing to do so could result in the loss of their skiing and riding privileges.”

Vail Resorts’ individual, date-specific lift tickets, rentals and ski-and-ride school lessons are easily refundable. As early as April, the company also announced that its historically nonrefundable Epic Pass, a seasonal pass program, would automatically come with free Epic Coverage, a refund policy that offers protection for a set list of qualifying incidents.

Epic Coverage grants full or prorated pass refunds in situations like resort closures and personal events like job loss or injury. Mandatory stay-at-home orders in the pass holder’s county, state or country of residence are also covered. Yet state travel advisories are not.

Regional Epic Passes allow skiers and snowboarders to access several mountains over the course of the season. For instance, the Northeast Midweek Pass — the one you purchased, which cost around $450 when it was on sale last year — grants access to 17 resorts in New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Vermont. All of those states currently have travel restrictions, as does your home state of Massachusetts.

In a statement, a Vail Resorts spokeswoman said, “While Vermont’s quarantine requirements may present challenges for some pass holders, they do not prohibit pass holders from accessing our mountains. State and local orders are very fluid. These requirements could be changed again, or even eliminated, as soon as next month.”

She added, “We certainly apologize for any confusion, but we were intentional in specifying ‘mandatory stay-at-home orders’ versus ‘travel restrictions’ on our website and in communications with guests.”

You aren’t alone in feeling like that’s an unfair stipulation. Tim Morse, a New York–based Epic Pass holder, had hoped to go back and forth to Mount Snow in Vermont this winter. A firefighter and parent of two children who attend in-person school five days a week, he is unable to quarantine before every ski weekend.

Given the rising infection rates, he doubts that Vermont’s travel restrictions will lift anytime soon and worries about ski season effectively being over by the time that happens (if that happens).

“I could very easily go to Mount Snow and just say that I’ve quarantined,” Mr. Morse said when I called him this week. “But that is not helping solve this issue. That is why the numbers are as bad as they are.” He feels that Vail Resorts is punishing pass holders who are trying to do the right thing, he added.

Although Epic Coverage is technically a refund policy, and not insurance, Vail Resorts’ stance — that adhering to state travel advisories is a willful decision that consumers must make for themselves — tracks with the insurance industry’s view.

“In general, state quarantine requirements, while inconvenient, do not prevent a trip from taking place as technically the traveler is still able to reach their destination,” said Megan Moncrief, the chief marketing officer at Squaremouth, a travel insurance-comparison website.

Mr. Morse said he’s open to rolling forward his Epic Pass to next ski season — a popular middle ground for travel companies during the pandemic. Although Vail Resorts offered last season’s pass holders credits of at least 20 percent and up to 80 percent when the pandemic cut short the season in March, that isn’t currently an option for this season’s pass holders.

“We have not announced any credit program for the 2020/21 season, but we will be reviewing the season in total and will assess how to retain the loyalty of pass holders, given the unique circumstances of this season,” the spokeswoman said.

Mr. Brady, of the Agency of Commerce and Community Development, said he has noticed that most pass deferrals or refunds have generally not been from resorts with multistate, multi-mountain pass products. One notable exception is Alterra Mountain Company’s Ikon Pass, which grants access to 44 ski resorts, including Sugarbush Resort in Vermont. The program’s Adventure Assurance policy allows unused passes to be rolled forward to next season.

But how to handle the shifting nature of state travel restrictions is not an issue specific to ski resorts. When California banned nonessential out-of-state travel last month, some would-have-been Airbnb guests were left fighting, unsuccessfully, for refunds.

On the East Coast, after booking a three-night stay for the presidential inauguration at Moxy Washington, D.C. Downtown, Michelle Ai learned she could not actually attend the inauguration: in deference to the Presidential Inaugural Committee’s warning against travel to Washington, her senator’s office is not giving out tickets.

Ms. Ai spent several weeks battling with the hotel, which is largely sticking to its policies about nonrefundable prepaid rates, until she finally accepted a voucher for a five-night stay to be used within the first half of the year.

Meanwhile, at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., which, like Moxy, is a Marriott hotel, guests can cancel without penalty up to seven days before arrival.

But back to those slopes. The Facebook ski groups I’ve been lurking in are abuzz with reports of impossible-to-crack Vail Resorts customer-service lines and refund requests that seemingly go nowhere. There’s also a palpable sense of bewilderment and outrage. As one New Hampshire–based nurse said to me on the phone this week: “This is an active thing happening everywhere in the United States. Who among us doesn’t know what’s going on?”

In an email, the Vail Resorts spokeswoman said, “The challenges everyone is facing amid this pandemic, our resorts included, are tremendous — and we sincerely understand the frustrations. Because it is a season-long product, and travel restrictions are constantly changing, we will take all of that into consideration and review how the remainder of the season transpires in thinking about how we retain the loyalty of guests such as those you describe.”

To date, Vail Resorts has not provided refunds to pass holders — including you, Rob — because of cross-state travel restrictions.

Which leaves me thinking about something you wrote in an email: “Beyond my own refund, it’s a bit heartbreaking for those on the front lines trying to keep their heads above water, even as so many disregard public guidelines.”
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Mt. Snow is really crowded this season. I'll bet 75% of those skiers did not quarantine.

I rode the lift at Hunter yesterday with a real Joisey guy and his son. He told me that they cancelled their trip to Tahoe because "California is really bad", but are going to Breck, instead. I didn't start, but asked, uh, where are you eating? He said, oh, we have a condo. Did you rent a car to go shopping for food? No, we can walk anywhere in Breck. A place you can buy a thousand t shirts, but no food. So, there you go. I hope the governor shuts it all down in their face. Selfish motherfuckers. Worse than Sturges.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No, Hunter closed for three days last week, and that was for reasons directly related to positive Covid results.
    No, the entire province on Ontario closed all its hills at Christmas. Ontario found a new way to suck more than everywhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Stay at home order for Ontario for the next 28 days. I wager that our ski season is over.
    Yep. Off to Whistler we go.

In all seriousness the 'Stay At Home' order also says no outdoor gatherings larger than 5 people (so not staying at home), and you can leave home to exercise (so not staying at home), and you can only leave for essential needs only but non-essential businesses are open for curbside pickup (so not essential needs only). It's just another half-assed measure from a half-assed incompetent government.

Where is the support for workers? We need 3 days paid sick leave so people can afford to stay home if they aren't feeling well, and up to 10 days paid sick leave if you have a positive COVID test. After long-term-care homes, it's the warehouses and workplaces that are the main source of infection. The government is doing nothing about this, and they just think continuing to spin their tires in the mud is going to help. It's a joke.

I grew up skiing Wildcat. The lack of snow making is what made it burly AF (except for the snow whales on Upper Lynx that were responsible for multiple broken bones), haha.

I’m still emotionally crushed about Vail owning Wildcat. Fuck them and everything they stand for.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Didn't whistler go through this same thing last year with Vail?
    I remember reading about a bunch of locals being super pissed because shit wasn't getting opened or stayed closed longer than it use to.
    I don't know if that was just people bitching because its Vail or if it was legit.
    But it sounds like the same thing is happening on the east coast as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Mt. Snow is really crowded this season. I'll bet 75% of those skiers did not quarantine.

I rode the lift at Hunter yesterday with a real Joisey guy and his son. He told me that they cancelled their trip to Tahoe because "California is really bad", but are going to Breck, instead. I didn't start, but asked, uh, where are you eating? He said, oh, we have a condo. Did you rent a car to go shopping for food? No, we can walk anywhere in Breck. A place you can buy a thousand t shirts, but no food. So, there you go. I hope the governor shuts it all down in their face. Selfish motherfuckers. Worse than Sturges.
    stop talking about stuff like you know what your talking about breck is open for business its pretty normal here wall to wall gapers the shit term next to me is busy non stop people leave by ten cleaners show up and the new people show up at 430 resturants are open take out indoor seating and some morans even think it's ok to sit outside and freeze your balls off you don't need a car in breck ok there is two grocery stores in town bunny busses are running the town wants people to use buses instead of driving you can walk use an uber and most large lodging groups offer shuttle services on demand so come on out there isn't dick for snow but the mountain dream is alive and well for tourons from cuneticunt and jersey shore babes

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    Didn't whistler go through this same thing last year with Vail?
    I remember reading about a bunch of locals being super pissed because shit wasn't getting opened or stayed closed longer than it use to.
    I don't know if that was just people bitching because its Vail or if it was legit.
    But it sounds like the same thing is happening on the east coast as well.
    Could be a mix of both, but from what I've seen many of the Vail Sux complaints really stem from wanting to find flaws with their operations. You start looking for problems where you weren't really looking before, and you'll find 'em.

Whistler did release a video last year from mtn. ops who tried to explain how things work and that nothing has changed since new ownership. But who really knows?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    stop talking about stuff like you know what your talking about breck is open for business its pretty normal here wall to wall gapers the shit term next to me is busy non stop people leave by ten cleaners show up and the new people show up at 430 resturants are open take out indoor seating and some morans even think it's ok to sit outside and freeze your balls off you don't need a car in breck ok there is two grocery stores in town bunny busses are running the town wants people to use buses instead of driving you can walk use an uber and most large lodging groups offer shuttle services on demand so come on out there isn't dick for snow but the mountain dream is alive and well for tourons from cuneticunt and jersey shore babes
    That's what I was afraid of.

france pulls the plug on the whole season.....

https://www.saminfo.com/headline-new...-entire-season

Ugggh.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys
    . . .

That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    For fuck sake can you learn how to use punctuation if you want people to read your posts?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

But, from what I understand, there's hundreds skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

Good for them. The same thing needs to happen here. And I say that as someone who spent $2500 on season passes this year.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Good for them. The same thing needs to happen here. And I say that as someone who spent $2500 on season passes this year.
    Because outdoor exercise is a super spreader?

Fack

I hope you’re doing your part and not using those passes
    . . .