Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 784
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    4,265
    The only grocery store in lake louise is closed for the next 2 weeks due to a positive test.

    You know that almost every employee on the hill has been using that store for weeks now. I wonder if this gets identified in the staff in the next few days.

    I know this sounds a little rash... but with the only source of supplies for locals gone, and disregard for the rules in lift lines (mask use is spotty at best with nobody trying to enforce the rules), I wonder if it might be better to shut the hill for 2 weeks now and put a reset on this.

    Maybe then people would realize these measures are serious.

    If the hill is the source of an outbreak that goes from staff to visitors, that could be it for the season pretty quick. Mayebe 2 weeks lost is better than the entire season.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    959
    I was hanging last weekend with a friend who is buddies with the president of Copper - who told him he doubted that Copper would be able to open at all this fall.

    My wife works in a hospital (yay), and everything is filling up (ICU is completely full). And things are projected to get way shittier in the coming months. Once hospitals are overwhelmed, the governor (fortunately ours in CO seems quite sensible/realistic) can't in good conscience allow resorts to stay open, IMO.

    If you can't tell...I'm not optimistic for riding lifts, at least until maybe spring (well, I guess you can ride the WROD at Keystone - for now). We shall see.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I was hanging last weekend with a friend who is buddies with the president of Copper - who told him he doubted that Copper would be able to open at all this fall.

    My wife works in a hospital (yay), and everything is filling up (ICU is completely full). And things are projected to get way shittier in the coming months. Once hospitals are overwhelmed, the governor (fortunately ours in CO seems quite sensible/realistic) can't in good conscience allow resorts to stay open, IMO.

    If you can't tell...I'm not optimistic for riding lifts, at least until maybe spring (well, I guess you can ride the WROD at Keystone - for now). We shall see.
    Wow, surprised to hear that pessimistic view from Copperís President.

    Not surprised to hear the rest. Somehow we need to bend the curve again.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,197
    If the governor closes the season again....Colorado's ski industry will be about half what it is now in a year.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    If the governor closes the season again....Colorado's ski industry will be about half what it is now in a year.
    I still think we have a ways to go before full shutdown. I definitely see the rules getting more strict, but I don't know how the CO economy would survive a full ski shutdown without some sort of stimulus.

    If restaurants are open at any capacity, he won't shut skiing down fully.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    I still think we have a ways to go before full shutdown. I definitely see the rules getting more strict, but I don't know how the CO economy would survive a full ski shutdown without some sort of stimulus.

    If restaurants are open at any capacity, he won't shut skiing down fully.
    I am not the governor and donít know what the conversations would be like...but it sure seems like there would be other options before a full shutdown. I would even circle the wagons first and require out of staters to have a negative test within 2 days if arrival, etc. before I shut it all down.

    No way a place like Loveland survives being shut down for 1.5 seasons. Then, when things opened back up...they would be forced to sell to someone like VR.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,561
    Loveland owners got hella deep pockets. Why do you think they're the only operation who is choosing to forgo all beverage and most food sales for the year?

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    45,711
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I am not the governor and donít know what the conversations would be like...but it sure seems like there would be other options before a full shutdown. I would even circle the wagons first and require out of staters to have a negative test within 2 days if arrival, etc. before I shut it all down.

    No way a place like Loveland survives being shut down for 1.5 seasons. Then, when things opened back up...they would be forced to sell to someone like VR.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Like VR is a bottomless source of cash? They had to go to financial help last Spring, because they were already hurting with too much debt.

    And, it's all about debt right now. Either could have been smart and avoided it for years as a matter of policy, or just lucked out and you're in a pretty sold position right now. I know money is cheap, but, it ain't free.

    Lazlo and his wife (sorry, forgot her name) at Plattekill in the Catskills are strident debt avoiders. He thinks it's poison. They'll survive. Heard them interviewed in a recent pre covid podcast, and she came up with a great term that may have been used before. "Snow Farming". think like a farmer and your product is snow, and act sensibly, and it may work out. Of course, they are only open three days a week now, but, hey, they're open with a shit ton of more snowmaking capability than ten years ago.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,417
    Here in JH they just closed the schools, Children’s Museum, and all hockey activity. I am sure there is more to come.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Basalt
    Posts
    4,197
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Here in JH they just closed the schools, Children’s Museum, and all hockey activity. I am sure there is more to come.
    All grades?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,417
    I think so, I’ll check.
    We are all online, so I’m not sure.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,261
    Per my friend, lots of people had to be constantly reminded to mask up in line at ABasin today. Come on dummies!

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    tetons
    Posts
    7,385
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think so, Iíll check.
    We are all online, so Iím not sure.
    Yes itís all grades now. Community school, classical school too and saw Teton county Idaho also is going online as of Monday
    skid luxury

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    45,711
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Per my friend, lots of people had to be constantly reminded to mask up in line at ABasin today. Come on dummies!
    My buddy tells me that parking isn't spaced, but heavily patrolled to prevent tailgating.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My buddy tells me that parking isn't spaced, but heavily patrolled to prevent tailgating.
    What's the reasoning behind preventing tailgating?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What's the reasoning behind preventing tailgating?
    Unfortunately if a tailgate session ends up kicking off a cloud of virus the resort will take the PR hit.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    45,711
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What's the reasoning behind preventing tailgating?
    The ABasin parking lot is traditionally a big outdoor party.

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    17,714
    I guess it'd be hard to limit tailgating to just small groups. Too bad, seems ideal for keeping people spread out, outdoors - and not jammed into the lodge bar - so long as they can stay in smaller groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,417
    You want community spread?
    Just add alcohol.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    3,954
    Jammed in the lodge bar isnít going to happen, at least not here in Maine. Seated service only state wide. I work at a Boyne resort, we want to stay open. Partying is going to be our biggest challenge. I can already imagine having no snowmakers available because....alcohol

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    3,970
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You want community spread?
    Just add alcohol.
    Truth. Guard comes down, mask comes down. Been guilty of that myself once, and got lucky.

    I still think the actual act of skiing is relatively safe, including lifts etc. It is the associated socialization that is risky. And full hospitals, of course, although I'm not sure that means they can't handle ski injuries necessarily, which are mostly outpatient.

    Our superintendent of schools was on the news last night saying yeah, it's spreading like crazy in the community, but not in the schools--so why should we close the place that is proving to be the safest? Logic which could apply to ski areas if not for alcohol and bars.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ...Logic which could apply to ski areas if not for alcohol and bars.
    Alcohol and bars is what resort skiing is (and honestly, post-tour parking areas more often than not). I am a complete outlier because of how I've skied for years. I ski on my break at work, so I'm out the door, solo, bang out laps for two hours, go back to work. I haven't spent a penny on F&B at my home hill in I don't even know how long. And you can get a hell of a lot of skiing done in 2-3 hrs if you're actually skiing. But that's not what the experience is for almost everybody, and if ski resorts aren't attempting to adjust the culture while 'Rona is afoot, then they may well be doomed. I'm not saying my way is the best way, but that's probably what we're going to need to be doing if we want to ride lifts this winter. Good luck getting Jerry and anyone under the age of 30 on board.

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You want community spread?
    Just add alcohol.
    Word. Anybody watch the aftermath of the Notre Dame/Clemson game? Biggest superspreader event since Sturgis.

    Our schools just closed again. Last time that happened around here, it was like <2 weeks before lifts shut down. Just sayin’...shit is going batshit shitty, in a shitfuck hurry.

    Hopefully I’m 100% wrong with my pessimism, but getting xc gear for the family and banking on the bc (which will have moguls)
    Last edited by skizix; 11-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    ...banking on the bc (which will have moguls)
    Lots of skier compaction. Good stability. Silver linings, silver linings.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,537
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I am not the governor and don’t know what the conversations would be like...
    I think Jared knows what is coming. He's whicked smat.

    https://coloradosun.com/2020/11/12/c...stimulus-plan/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •