Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    My Texan frustrations have nothing to do with them having fun. It's my perspnal experiences with their complete disregard for the environment we live in and rely on for our livelihoods. Especially this year, our state parks, and the national forest lands, have taking a beating from visitors.

Additionally, as we have locked down, had mask mandates, had permits held back by the FS, etc, our neighbors from the south have not taken similar precautions and numerous outbreaks of Covid have been directly linked to visitors traveling here, not wearing masks and spreading the virus. The largest majority of visitors to the state are Texans, thus the frequent comments about the Texan's.

The amount of trash I have packed out of the backcountry and traditionally quiet streams this year is unlike anything I have seen in the past 30+ years. It is to the point that the legislature is considering adding out of state fees to enter state parks based on the significant amount of damage that has occurred to the local environment this year.
    Sounds like your best course of action is to refuse to offer your services to Texans. If enough of your fellow guides do this, problem solved. They'll go to Wyoming and Montana where they are more welcome.

More welcome in Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    More welcome in Montana?
    Blasphemy. I hate Texans.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I missed a chair on a powder once at Created Butte, and the locals started giving me shit, they told me “to go back to California”. I then told them, “go back to fucking New Hampshire”.

Must have been a good guess, because they stfu.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Blasphemy. I hate Texans.

I saw a Honda station wagon car thing with Texas plates at disco opening day. It had a rocket box with bright orange mattrax bolted next to it. Overland as fuck!

Go back to Illinois just doesnt have the same ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I missed a chair on a powder [day]
    Uhhh their point wasn't that Texans, Californians, or New Hamsters were kooks. It was that you were a kook. OTOH their callout was lame unless it was accompanied by "Back of the line!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    Uhhh their point wasn't that Texans, Californians, or New Hamsters were kooks. It was that you were a kook. OTOH their callout was lame unless it was accompanied by "Back of the line!!!"
    It probably was. I've certainly helped send a few people to the back of the T bar line in my days there.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    It probably was. I've certainly helped send a few people to the back of the T bar line in my days there.
    I was 12 or 13 the first time I went up the T-bar at the Butte. I thought I was going to piss my pants. The liftie was merciless, "Back of the line!" "Green means go, lady!" It felt like the greatest achievement of my life that I wasn't ridiculed by an angry mob.

Back on topic, now that Polis and the first husband have Covid, any guesses on how long CO has left? I'm guessing once reporting data catches up after the holiday weekend, things are going to get real quiet around here.

First brush with the reality of the season up here last week. Some dude was sick and went to at least two different establishments between Monday and Wednesday, got his positive test result back Thursday. Result was four places retreated to 'to go' orders only for a week while contact tracing is being completed.

If we're lucky that's how the season will go, restaurants shut down for a few days while the lifts keep turning.
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 12-01-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    First brush with the reality of the season up here last week. Some dude was sick and went to at least two different establishments between Monday and Wednesday, got his positive test result back Thursday. Result was four places retreated to 'to go' orders only for a week while contact tracing is being completed.
    if only we knew some way to prevent this

Here are results of an interesting poll regarding skiing resorts and backcountry skiing in Colorado during Covid. My take? Females aren't willing to take as much risk.

The bc stuff was interesting, though not surprising.

Interest in Backcountry Experience and Safety Preparation

The survey measured skier and snowboarder interest in experiencing the backcountry for the first time. Among all respondents, 62% said they had skied or snowboarded in a backcountry area before and 38% had not. Among the 38% of respondents that had not experienced the backcountry, 17% (50 total respondents) said they had a strong interest or plans to experience backcountry this season.

Among first time backcountry respondents 42% said they planned on buying avalanche safety gear and taking an avalanche safety course. Twenty six percent said were only planning on taking the safety course and 12% were just planning on buying safety gear. Sixteen percent of respondents plan on doing neither.

Among the 62% of total respondents that had experienced the backcountry 37% had taken a safety course and purchased gear. Another 20% had safety gear but had not taken a course, and 13% had taken a course but did not have safety gear. Just under one third of respondents, 29% had not taken a safety course or purchased safety gear.
    http://magellanstrategies.com/colora...d-survey-2020/
    Last edited by Jax; 12-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    <snip> May take? Females are much smarter than dudes.
    Fixed!

Though my typo disproves that to some

Here are results of an interesting poll regarding skiing resorts and backcountry skiing in Colorado during Covid.

"Among the 62% of total respondents that had experienced the backcountry 37% had taken a safety course and purchased gear. Another 20% had safety gear but had not taken a course, and 13% had taken a course but did not have safety gear. Just under one third of respondents, 29% had not taken a safety course or purchased safety gear."
    That's honestly scarier than covid.

Old news Jax. Wimmen are definitely smarterer than menfolk in the the backcountry. There's longstanding data that Ian McCammon (who brought heuristic traps into the avalanche awareness conversation) that supports this, from almost 20 years ago. Just thought I'd mansplain that to you

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    That's honestly scarier than covid.
    Understandably. It does kill about 1/300,000th the number covid does on an annual basis so i'm askared too.

But seriously it depends on the survey group, and what they meant by 'experienced the backcountry'. A large number of that 29% probably went out once with or without borrowed gear and then decided not to pursue it further
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Probably closer to 1/10.000th, but yes, har har.

Certainly many of those people's "experience" is limited to a roadside XC ski, or a little meadow skipping, but it amounts to the same issue with covid, being that one person's recklessness is perfectly capable of ruining everyone's day, or potentially killing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Old news Jax. Wimmen are definitely smarterer than menfolk in the the backcountry. There's longstanding data that Ian McCammon (who brought heuristic traps into the avalanche awareness conversation) that supports this, from almost 20 years ago. Just thought I'd mansplain that to you
    Yes I've known this regarding female bc skiers. I should have been more succinct in my wording above. But thank you for the Ian McCammon reference nonetheless, that's a good one to revisit at this time.

That survey was much more skewered towards alpine resort skiing wrt covid and my take from that brief survey, even just reading the comments, was the ladies tend to emit a little more concern regarding the virus, so I assume they accept less risk even in just a resort type of environment. I should go further and say, the older women...some of the comments from the younger gals were just as stupid as the guys'.

Yes I've known this regarding female bc skiers. I should have been more succinct in my wording above. But thank you for the Ian McCammon reference nonetheless, that's a good one to revisit at this time.

That survey was much more skewered towards alpine resort skiing wrt covid and my take from that brief survey, even just reading the comments, was the ladies tend to emit a little more concern regarding the virus, so I assume they accept less risk even in just a resort type of environment. I should go further and say, the older women...some of the comments from the younger gals were just as stupid as the guys'.
    These differences between men and women are true in many areas. When I used to teach surgery residents it seemed to me that the men had more confidence than ability and the women more ability than confidence. I like seeing women pilots when I fly. Statistics show women are safer drivers, especially when it comes to fatalities. But I still don't want to be behind a woman at a 4 way stop.

Make space for skis in your secret hookers/blow hiding spot.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/covid-...ce-of-ski-gear

I've heard they have dogs that can smell ski boots, even if they're in the trunk. Might be worth trying to mask the smell with large quantities of weed or heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've heard they have dogs that can smell ski boots, even if they're in the trunk. Might be worth trying to mask the smell with large quantities of weed or heroin.
    or Roquefort

Nothing in the trunk but a dead hooker. You may proceed sir.

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

In Alberta, "Close contacts are limited to household members only", and gyms and sports teams are closed/banned, but ski hills remain open for now, but it seems like their buildings need to be closed.

Seems strange that the hills are still allowed to be open and I won't be surprised if that ends soon too given the weekend lineups we've been having.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season