Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Which resort will be the first to open and then close back down again?
    Cervinia
    https://planetski.eu/2020/10/25/cerv...demic%20spread.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    When I was younger and trying really hard to be cool, I said a lot of jaded cynical stuff about Texans floundering in the mountains. They were always having the time of their lives, somehow to me that made them stupid. As I get older, I feel foolish for being such a douche, and I find myself a little jealous of people who can have so much silly fun just beating around on groomers (or hunting a scrawny elk, or surfing a soft top, or riding a 400cc Honda...whatever). The more time passes, the more the remnants of middle school social insecurity erodes and the more I’d so much rather be a happy gaper than a cool uberbro.
    My Texan frustrations have nothing to do with them having fun. It's my perspnal experiences with their complete disregard for the environment we live in and rely on for our livelihoods. Especially this year, our state parks, and the national forest lands, have taking a beating from visitors.

Additionally, as we have locked down, had mask mandates, had permits held back by the FS, etc, our neighbors from the south have not taken similar precautions and numerous outbreaks of Covid have been directly linked to visitors traveling here, not wearing masks and spreading the virus. The largest majority of visitors to the state are Texans, thus the frequent comments about the Texan's.

The amount of trash I have packed out of the backcountry and traditionally quiet streams this year is unlike anything I have seen in the past 30+ years. It is to the point that the legislature is considering adding out of state fees to enter state parks based on the significant amount of damage that has occurred to the local environment this year.

EU

Yeh i saw that.
    Apparently Germany wants all European Ski resorts to shut down.
    Austria is having none of that.

Germany Italy and France want them all shut down. Austria and Switzerland say nein!

Shoulder to shoulder in trams could be a Euro issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Shoulder to shoulder in trams could be a Euro issue...
    Anybody been across the pond lately? I wonder what they are doing on trains, the primary mode of transportation in many areas. We can still safely travel (mostly) in our own vehicle, but lots of Euros solely rely on trains for transportation.

Texans--First time I was at Taos--riding up the lift I see a cougar in a white one piece and furry cowboy hat makes a snow plow turn at the top of Castor, falls, and bounces all the way to the botton, hitting every bump on the way down, somehow misses the trees. Next lift ride up she's at the top of Castor again and repeats the performance with the same result. I have to say she got down that run faster than I did.

At Alta, powder morning, I'm on one of the first chairs, I hear mad whooping--I look up at the surrounding slopes but no one has had a chance to get up high yet. I look down and see two guys in cowboy hats snowplowing on the flat near the Watson shelter and whooping up a storm.

All of which proves that attitude matters more than skill when it comes to having fun.

When I was younger and trying really hard to be cool, I said a lot of jaded cynical stuff about Texans floundering in the mountains. They were always having the time of their lives, somehow to me that made them stupid. As I get older, I feel foolish for being such a douche, and I find myself a little jealous of people who can have so much silly fun just beating around on groomers (or hunting a scrawny elk, or surfing a soft top, or riding a 400cc Honda...whatever). The more time passes, the more the remnants of middle school social insecurity erodes and the more I’d so much rather be a happy gaper than a cool uberbro.
    That's the best thing I've read on this forum in a long while, the proverbial diamond in the dung heap.

Yeti, you are wise. Thank you.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Happy gapers don't give a shit if you are a cool uberbro. Happy is arguably a better state than "cool".

Excellent point. I always say (this year is a little different) that I’d rather ride the chair with a tourist who’s stoked than another jaded local. And the tourist rarely get in my way on the hill it’s usually the Johnny come lately bro who thinks he’s way more rad and more local than he is who’s slowing me down or beating it sideways down a nice stash trying to get the shot for his bros.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cspringsposer View Post
    My Texan frustrations have nothing to do with them having fun. It's my perspnal experiences with their complete disregard for the environment we live in and rely on for our livelihoods. Especially this year, our state parks, and the national forest lands, have taking a beating from visitors.

Additionally, as we have locked down, had mask mandates, had permits held back by the FS, etc, our neighbors from the south have not taken similar precautions and numerous outbreaks of Covid have been directly linked to visitors traveling here, not wearing masks and spreading the virus. The largest majority of visitors to the state are Texans, thus the frequent comments about the Texan's.

The amount of trash I have packed out of the backcountry and traditionally quiet streams this year is unlike anything I have seen in the past 30+ years. It is to the point that the legislature is considering adding out of state fees to enter state parks based on the significant amount of damage that has occurred to the local environment this year.
    Along these lines hopefully the geniuses in the Utah legislature firgure out a way to keep all the Colorado rad bros to stay in Not-so-rado.

First to Close???

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Excellent point. I always say (this year is a little different) that I’d rather ride the chair with a tourist who’s stoked than another jaded local. And the tourist rarely get in my way on the hill it’s usually the Johnny come lately bro who thinks he’s way more rad and more local than he is who’s slowing me down or beating it sideways down a nice stash trying to get the shot for his bros.

Very true. I get stoked from conversations with stoked tourists who are blown away by the mountains and conditions, even on days we think are meh. Plus the joy of hearing “where do they store the moguls in the summer” and “what, do you water ski with those skis?” every season is priceless.

Sorry to break up the Texan love affair here, but just to remind everyone the reason we hate them is not their skiing ability, it is the way they act off the slopes that really gives them such a bad reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Texans--First time I was at Taos--riding up the lift I see a cougar in a white one piece and furry cowboy hat...
    Similar story, first time I skied Taos (circa 1990) I was visiting my folks and my dad laughed, "you've never skied with Texans".. Having only skied in California I had no idea what he was talking about. Flash forward to on the hill and I see this chick in an orange one piece, blonde hair out to here, full makeup, she looks like fucking Miss America. And then she talks to some friends she's with, "I DIDN'T KNOW Y'ALLLLL COULD FALL SO FARRRR ON YOUR ASSSSSSES!!!!" She sounded like a pig farmer right off the tractor. I thought it was hilarious.

Making fun of texassicans is a right to all Americans, just like Canadians making fun of Newfies.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    it is the way they act off the slopes that really gives them such a bad reputation.
    Winter Texan > Summer Texan

i remember going to Philmont scout ranch as a kid and someone had painted the outline of the State of Tx in the tin pisser in a bolo at one of the camps....i guess it was equivalent of the calvin pissing on something graphics we know today but in RL...

also had the best pow sled day of a season at Vail pass with no one but some poor souls from houston that had some rental 4 strokes stuck in the middle of a deep flat field. (the one near that summer piss shack). Saved them, rode their sleds out, slayed pow the rest of the day, only to hit a truck in the parking lot while loading out when my new to me gold finger jammed .....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I used to go to the Alta Peruvian in January the same week every year, either with my girlfriend or by myself, and every year there was this blond from Dallas by herself, a little older than me but not excessively so, very sweet, very good looking, not at all a loud brassy Texan, couldn't ski worth a shit --I think she hung out on the bunny slopes. Whenever I was there alone John Cahill would try to fix us up--always seated us together at dinner, but she was just a little too conservative for my taste. After I got married (not to the girlfriend) my wife and I went during that same week and my wife and the Texan hit it off. She told my wife she came looking for a husband, and she couldn't figure out how she never managed to find one there or anyplace else. Neither could I--there was nothing at all wrong with her, she had a good career in business, sometimes things just don't work out.

You wonder how she wound up at Alta, if she wasn't a serious skier. Shoulda gone to Vail or Aspen. Or Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You wonder how she wound up at Alta, if she wasn't a serious skier. Shoulda gone to Vail or Aspen. Or Europe.
    maybe she wanted to marry a serious skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    maybe she wanted to marry a serious skier.
    She must've had some disposable income

Alta Peruvian at the time, and 2 years ago when I was there, was a very congenial place. 3 meals included, dinner family style at tables for 8 (and always had the reputation for the best food in the canyon) , big outdoor spa and pool, big community room and tiny bedrooms so all in all a great place to meet people. Certainly better for that than any other resort I've stayed at. The place has a really nice atmosphere--especially so when John Cahill, the original owner, was alive.

"There are good men out there. Men who ski hard, have their shit together, and want to make you happy. Now, I'm not one of them, but they are out there..."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    She overheard a local In a Park City bar sayin what they always say
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

"Alta is flat"?

Alta is not flat. It has short steep ramps with miles of groomed run outs. A snow theme park. The lifts even feel and sound like that first big climb on an old rollercoaster
    Own your fail. ~Jer~