Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Got out of my jeep to check and see if our proposed camp site was level enough. Didn't pull the e brake lever quite far enough and the jeep gently began to roll away with 2 of my kids in it. One of them nonchalantly called to me that the jeep was rolling away and I thought he was kidding until I turned around to look. Sure enough, there it was going backwards down the road. I ran and jumped it so it was all good but that shit certainly could have escalated quickly...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    ADV is just trendy jargon for dual sport and dual sports have been around for decades. There is a wide spectrum of dual sport bikes with the CRF250L on one end and the GS1250 on the other. Same with the people who ride them.
    Very broadly; yes. But that's also like saying all skis are the same. At a high level, they are, but we all know that there are many types, variations, purposes, builds, and so on.

Anymore, ADV is a bigger, poly-cylindered bike, most of which don't see dirt. Dual-sport has and continues to be small, single-cylinder dirt bikes with a plate. Think of it like the difference between a light AT ski and a fatty pow ski.

/motorcyclenerd

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Going fast on a two track? Sure a bike is going to do that quicker compared to a jeep. I do get jealous sometimes on the easy stuff watching you guys fly around, and you definitely will see more in a day.

Jeep though is getting through deeper mud, over larger boulders, and pretty much everything else one associates with off-roading, which is what I like to do. If I want to go fast I have a little sports car for that.

We definitely agree on the recent trends for dual sports. 15 years ago when I'd take my jeep out it was just 250's and guys with a water bottle or something. Now its like you need to be self sufficient for at least 2 months or you might as well not start the thing up.
    My, how we've thread-drifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Got out of my jeep to check and see if our proposed camp site was level enough. Didn't pull the e brake lever quite far enough and the jeep gently began to roll away with 2 of my kids in it. One of them nonchalantly called to me that the jeep was rolling away and I thought he was kidding until I turned around to look. Sure enough, there it was going backwards down the road. I ran and jumped it so it was all good but that shit certainly could have escalated quickly...
    My wife did that with our two kids in a stroller in the park. Stroller and kids wound up in the duck pond, fortunately not under water.

The bloated GS 1200's are bloated because they are full of gear for traveling. They are not meant to be light and fast, that is what single cylinder duel sports are for. If I am on a multi day camping trip I want some comforts, so it means filling up boxes with camping gear, wine and scotch and covering a couple thousand miles. Sure you can do that on a 250 DS, but it sucks. If I were riding from New York to Moab, I wouldn't want a DS bike or a lifted short wheel base Jeep.

To get back to the OP, what do they do with the jeep, just leave it in the bottom of the canyon?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

To get back to the OP, what do they do with the jeep, just leave it in the bottom of the canyon?
    the link above shows the jeep landed wheels down on the road. Guessing it got towed out and salvaged.

In this instance they'll drag it out as where it rolled down to is past any technical wheeling (my understanding).

But often in other situations they have to leave it there. Think Cadillac Hill on the Rubicon Trail (which is a county highway still to this day), which is named after a Cadillac that fell off the side back when it was not quite as rough, or the myriad of other wrecks you see in places like Hell's Revenge in Moab for example.
    Live Free or Die

On Engineer Pass between Ouray and Animas Forks/Silverton

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

File that under things you don't see everyday
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

amazing.

So, in this case, not wearing a seatbelt saved a life? Or did the Chrysler belt fail?

All the old guys at Jeep week insist you shouldn't wear a seat belt, pretty much for this reason.

Jeep even will turn the warning gong off automatically if you get out of the seat and sit back down without turning the car off for this reason. The TPMS light also doesn't come on if you change out wheels to bigger spec since they know you'll be airing down from time to time. Pretty cool little features that show they know their clientele.
    Live Free or Die

All the old guys at Jeep week insist you shouldn't wear a seat belt, pretty much for this reason.

Jeep even will turn the warning gong off automatically if you get out of the seat and sit back down without turning the car off for this reason. The TPMS light also doesn't come on if you change out wheels to bigger spec since they know you'll be airing down from time to time. Pretty cool little features that show they know their clientele.
    I never wear my seat belt while off roading, what's the point? You're not going to get in an accident that the belt is designed to protect against, and the damn thing is uncomfortable when bouncing around. I don't have a jeep so I'm not likely to get ejected either way. I don't do any serious off roading, generally just do it to get places or (the last few years) on the White Rim Trail.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have a counterpoint anecdote about mountain/FS roads and seatbelts. When I was working on Vail mountain a number of summers ago, I witnessed a company truck roll down a black run after an unsuccessful navigation of a switchback. The driver was inexperienced with a manual transmission and blew a 3 point turn, stalling a few times and rolling back. I was out of my truck, walking towards him trying to get him to stop when he tried one more time. The thing flipped 6 or 7 times with parts and tools flying out of it everywhere before smashing top first, just behind the cab/headache rack, about 10 feet up a tree. It hit so hard, the top half of the tree broke off from the recoil. I watched all this in slow motion as I practically chased it down the mountain, thinking I was going to find a body in the wreckage, while also trying to change my radio to the ski patrol channel to get them on their way.

I get down there, and the kid was out of the truck, walking around, yelling at himself about how he was gonna fail his drug test and get fired. I made him sit down away from the truck, tried to calm him down, and talked to him to see if he was concussed. Patrol got down there and we carried him out in a litter. He got checked out at the ER, but he got away with just a mild concussion and some cuts on his head from the glass. He had his seatbelt on and just held onto the steering wheel for the whole ride. I wore my seatbelt all over the mountain from that point on.

For those that know Vail, this was down Minnie's, just below the bottom of 15 (Bunny hill at Eagle's Nest).

Well, did he fail his drug test?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

D7 at Alpine Meadows is named after a D7 cat that rolled down it when they were building it. About 30 degrees at the top. (Or 45 according to Ski magazine.)

Warning Gong? TPMS? I feel cheated. My Jeep has none of these features.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I have a counterpoint anecdote about mountain/FS roads and seatbelts. When I was working on Vail mountain a number of summers ago, I witnessed a company truck roll down a black run after an unsuccessful navigation of a switchback. The driver was inexperienced with a manual transmission and blew a 3 point turn, stalling a few times and rolling back. I was out of my truck, walking towards him trying to get him to stop when he tried one more time. The thing flipped 6 or 7 times with parts and tools flying out of it everywhere before smashing top first, just behind the cab/headache rack, about 10 feet up a tree. It hit so hard, the top half of the tree broke off from the recoil. I watched all this in slow motion as I practically chased it down the mountain, thinking I was going to find a body in the wreckage, while also trying to change my radio to the ski patrol channel to get them on their way.

I get down there, and the kid was out of the truck, walking around, yelling at himself about how he was gonna fail his drug test and get fired. I made him sit down away from the truck, tried to calm him down, and talked to him to see if he was concussed. Patrol got down there and we carried him out in a litter. He got checked out at the ER, but he got away with just a mild concussion and some cuts on his head from the glass. He had his seatbelt on and just held onto the steering wheel for the whole ride. I wore my seatbelt all over the mountain from that point on.

For those that know Vail, this was down Minnie's, just below the bottom of 15 (Bunny hill at Eagle's Nest).
    That must have been insane to watch. Glad the kid survived.
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    D7 at Alpine Meadows is named after a D7 cat that rolled down it when they were building it. About 30 degrees at the top. (Or 45 according to Ski magazine.)
    Yeah, when I lived in Taos ski valley I was initially looking to buy a dozer to plow my rowdy driveway with a 180 sloped turn that the home owner wanted cleared all winter to try and sell the house for a premium. The mtn manager schooled my ass real quick about tracks being bomber until sideways when they turn into luge rails. So I bought an old army dodge powerwagon and chained up all four tires. What a shitshow. Plow...stuck...come-along...plow...stuck...over and over until one day I sheared all (12? I think it was) wheel studs off. Truck had torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, did he fail his drug test?
    I don't need to take a test to tell you I use drugs!

Failed and promptly moved back home. Classic ski town story.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That must have been insane to watch. Glad the kid survived. Yeah, when I lived in Taos ski valley I was initially looking to buy a dozer to plow my rowdy driveway with a 180 sloped turn that the home owner wanted cleared all winter to try and sell the house for a premium. The mtn manager schooled my ass real quick about tracks being bomber until sideways when they turn into luge rails. So I bought an old army dodge powerwagon and chained up all four tires. What a shitshow. Plow...stuck...come-along...plow...stuck...over and over until one day I sheared all (12? I think it was) wheel studs off. Truck had torque.
    They chewed out my rookie ski patroller son for taking a sled straight up Red Dog face. No one told him to take the cat track until after he did it. I guess doing that sometimes ends badly.

I don't need to take a test to tell you I use drugs!

Failed and promptly moved back home. Classic ski town story.
    Got to give him props for coming out alive at Minnies. Many times I didn't think I would.

On a similar note I've got a buddy who wasn't wearing a seatbelt and got tossed out of a pickup that rolled off a logging road. They ended up with some life altering injuries after getting rolled over by the truck.

That has always been on my mind when slowly cruising down a logging road. Things can be going so well, then can be so fucked up so quickly.

Wife and I got turned around on this trail about a month ago after it started raining right as we got to the top (start of the 1 way restrictions). I was pretty mad at myself for wussing out but this makes me feel like I made the right decision. Ended up taking Ophir which was a cakewalk in my jeep but some adventure bike dentists were having a rough go of it coming up from the west side .

The difficulty isn't that hard but the exposure sure is nuts on black bear. Some day I'll knock it off the list.
    I've done Black Bear a bunch of times (probably six?) and finally ended up doing it in the rain for the first time this past summer. A lot of trails in the area seemed way chunkier than years past, including the steps. I'm guessing they got a lot of traffic due to teleworking/shutdowns/etc. It only feels sketchy for a minute, but maybe this year wasn't the one to try it for the first time while it's raining.