Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FWC

FWC

Just picked up my new Hawk. Been wanting one for years and finally pulled the trigger. Replaced the VW Westy and couldn’t be happier. Was planning on breaking it in in Baja this fall...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	344345
    There must be other mags rocking FWC’s, any feedback??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

there must be other mags wondering WTF an FWC is ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i am actulay in the market for an " FWC " and i don't know WTF you are talking about

but people making up acronyms are a regular problem

Four Wheel Camper or Fuck Word Conservation because acronyms suck

goggle calls out the Florida fish and wild life commission

also Foster Wheeler corporation

If you know, you know...

great answer actually^^

I thot about a stripped version of the FWC to get the weight down for my Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    great answer actually^^

I thot about a stripped version of the FWC to get the weight down for my Tacoma
    Then maybe you actually want a GFC.

FOG's like XXX all want GFC's, PDQ.

FWC actually means FUCKiNG WHITE CAMPER as in one you've been stuck behind desperately looking for the passing lane .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

One of the douchebags who bought a cookie cutter McMansion in my town has one of those things. It's permanently mounted in his truck bed, as far as I can tell. Or at least he hasn't taken it off his truck in about 18 months.

yeah the four wheel camper or FWC interests me cuz I like how the inside of the pop-up part is finished, also the weight isnt too crazy and they been around for awhile, first seen one close-up when buddy Ed from Durango showed me his maybe 7 yrs ago

the current tent on the roof thing doesnt excite me

I just got rid of a beat up Trillium FG trailer I bought on a bit of a whim and managed to make some good coin

I looked at most slide in options that are lightweight that work with Toyotas. I didn't want a 3/4 ton truck and plan to take the camper on and off regularly. I almost tried the new Scout Camper but ultimately didn't want the high profile. Also considered the GFC's but decided they're too bare bones for my needs.

The FWC strikes a good balance of performance, weight, and durability. I often see 20+ year old units going strong and they have an impressive resale value. I opted for the shell model for weight and didn't want all the bells and whistles. I did add the heater and thermal pack for obvious reasons. I may be biased but they are pretty sweet and well designed with many years of refinement. They're a little spendy but amortized over 10 years of point side surf camping and trailhead skiing made an easy choice.

Looking for any comments from current owners, particularly around storage mods, and how practical it is to take on and off regularly. Peace y'all

Ed from Durango told me if it got stolen or burnt up in a fire he would buy another FWC,

I think he said he put air bags in the rear

i think the stripper model is 1000lbs ?

The stock shell model with no extras is just over 800#

I added airbags with cradles and e-rated ties, no other mods to the truck. Drove it home in a 40mph headwind up a grade and didn't notice anything except the reduced mpg's

I see many Tacomas with the Swift models, or even bigger hanging on the tailgate

I’m looking at exactly that setup. Thought about putting one on my Tacoma but it just isn’t enough. Gonna buy a used Tundra and throw a Hawk on it as a camping and work vehicle. Upgrade suspension for the weight and off roading. Leaning toward a flatbed model maybe because of the side entry because I’ll have a moto on the hitch. Price just keeps climbing! Still cheaper than a Sprinter and far more capable.

We were really leaning toward a tow behind or a sprinter but decided that we want something that’ll get just a little further out than those things can go. Most of our camping is dispersed and up a gnarly road.

I want one but the Hawk specifically is impossible to find used. I guess I should just suck it up.

Another similar option is ATC... All Terrain Campers. They get great reviews as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

We have had a hawk for 2 years on our 1/2 ton pickup. We like the options it gives us for mtb and skiing. A few of our friends have ordered various versions. One will be getting the shell model for tundra in January and another friend is getting the new M project thingy soon for a 1/2 ton Ford short bed.

Bike and ski storage are my biggest questions. I sprung for the side mounted surf racks and don't really want to put anything on the roof. I've got a hitch rack for 2 bikes and need to add a third.

I shopped for a used for 6-8 months. Anything decent was overpriced and sold fast. I ended up going new since our local dealer had one preordered with November delivery and it was done 3 weeks early!! Looked at the ATC's as well, supposedly former FWC employees. Looks similar in most ways including price and availability. If we weren't a family of 3, the Project M would be very appealing.

We use the Yakima holdup rack with backswing knuckle for bikes. We have a low profile skybox for skis since we may be pulling a trailer with snowmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Bike and ski storage are my biggest questions. I sprung for the side mounted surf racks and don't really want to put anything on the roof. I've got a hitch rack for 2 bikes and need to add a third..
    Can't you just add an addition onto your rack to make it 3 or 4 bike holder? Depends on the rack I guess.
    Some people add fork mounts to the rear wall for bikes, that might be our plan since I'll have a motorcycle on the rear hitch.
    I've also got some friends who have a front hitch and can add an extra bike rack up front. Works but I wouldn't plan on it long term as it can block headlights.

Also looking at ATC, slightly cheaper, they said yesterday that they are 9 months out, FWC is 12. I think the ATC story is that they are old FWC employees who continued building the old design of the FWC when FWC switched to the newer design. Both are solid and well made, which is tough to find in camper world.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Can't you just add an addition onto your rack to make it 3 or 4 bike holder? Depends on the rack I guess.
    This is one of the main reasons we went with the Yakima Holdup since it allows for 2+ extension. Having said that keep a close eye on the arms holding the front wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.trailrun View Post
    This is one of the main reasons we went with the Yakima Holdup since it allows for 2+ extension. Having said that keep a close eye on the arms holding the front wheel.
    Yeah, I have the Kuat which does the same. I like the look of the 1up racks too, stadium seating style rack allows for more clearance and less drag on rougher road situations. It also lets you add one rack at a time so you can go with three if that's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Just picked up my new Hawk. Been wanting one for years and finally pulled the trigger. Replaced the VW Westy and couldn’t be happier. Was planning on breaking it in in Baja this fall...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	344345
    There must be other mags rocking FWC’s, any feedback??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I was drooling over these for months, but the price point / value was too bitter a pill to swallow. Sweet rig nice to see someone go for black color way it looks so solid ��