Outdoor Gate Alarm that works in the cold

I need to put an alert on my backyard gate so when its opened I hear it in the house.
    Everything I see takes a battery and is wireless. Batteries don't work in the cold is what I'm thinking.
    Anybody have one of these or can recommend an affordable wired solution or have a wireless one that works in the cold? I can run a wire not a big deal.
    I've tried searching and I'm not coming up with anything.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    I need to put an alert on my backyard gate so when its opened I hear it in the house.
    Everything I see takes a battery and is wireless. Batteries don't work in the cold is what I'm thinking.
    Anybody have one of these or can recommend an affordable wired solution or have a wireless one that works in the cold? I can run a wire not a big deal.
    thanks.
    I have a home camera system (blink) that takes lithium batteries (2 AA I think). They do alright in the cold. I mean, they don't last forever, and I live in Colorado where it's not insanely cold, and they last a few months.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    unless it works with the sybian, wife will not be happy

Repurpose a doorbell.

doorbell +1

Wtf do you have dogs for?

+ on the doorbell as well

Brain is fried and can't remember exactly how I did it. But in high school, i rigged my own auto alarm by using a pressure switch (for when doors are closed) into the horn wiring. When I had it "armed" (via key switch) and you opened the door, the horn would go off until the door was closed. Seems like you could hard wire something similar with contact switch at the gate and buzzer inside (or outside).

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    + on the doorbell as well

Brain is fried and can't remember exactly how I did it. But in high school, i rigged my own auto alarm by using a pressure switch (for when doors are closed) into the horn wiring. When I had it "armed" (via key switch) and you opened the door, the horn would go off until the door was closed. Seems like you could hard wire something similar with contact switch at the gate and buzzer inside (or outside).
    This.

Buy a door position switch.
    Buy and old school door bell chime.
    Buy a roll of doorbell / garage door opener cable.
    Wire together, you might have to reverse the wiring to make it ring when opened vs ring when closed.

No idea if this would really work, but in my mind it does...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Wtf do you have dogs for?
    dogs are dead.

Is your daughter sneaking off on cold snowy evenings for trysts with the locals? What other methods of fortification have you considered?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Is your daughter sneaking off on cold snowy evenings for trysts with the locals? What other methods of fortification have you considered?
    its for your mom. she keeps coming over when your wife is here. tired of her shit.

Hey, is this a Buttahflake alias?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Hey, is this a Buttahflake alias?
    fuck is he inside your mom mon, wed, fri? cause I do her tues and thurs and save up for your wife on friday nights cause that's how she likes it after a long week. Fuck I knew that bitch had a side gig. I'm lockin the gate for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    thanks.
    A bell that jingles when the gate is opened maybe would work well enough if it's not far away?

But I have a fence around the front of my house and I have a wireless doorbell at the gate and it only seems to need the battery replaced every couple yrs (I'm in WY so also cold AF)
    I just checked the brand and it's just a GE- believe I picked it up at Ace Hardware
    skid luxury

Govee makes good wireless and Bluetooth sensors. I use their Bluetooth thermometers to track the temp in a couple greenhouses and a pump house. The data uploads to an app on my iPad, from about 100 feet away. They make lots of sensors, including contact sensors; I’m not sure how the alarm would work, maybe the app needs to be open? Worth a lookeeloo...