Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Portland, ME Intel

The Portland, ME peninsula is on a short list of places to move. Been a few times in both seasons, humidity and winter. Enjoyed it. Strong food game. Strong beer game. Walkable. Easy trips to ski as long as snow is still a thing. Lots of outdoor rec options. Anyone live there? What do you like? Dislike?

I'm 45 south and wife used to live there.
    Pros:
    Great beer and food (in normal times)
    Cool atmosphere

Cons:
    No/few jobs that scale with the cost of housing
    Maine in the winter is a cold and desolate place
    You're dependent on the long drive/train to Boston for any additional civilization
    Skiing is further than you think
    Maine Taxes

That said - great city! We always enjoy our time there and go back reasonably frequently.

Don't live there but have been a few times. I can't remember the name of that pizza place downtown but it is bomb. But like schuss said, skiing is farther than one might think, especially decent skiing. Waterville, Cannon, and Sugarloaf are all at least 2 hours with good traffic.
    swing your fucking sword.

Ya shoulda thought of it 7-8 years ago, man that place was cheap for what it had to offer.

Portland, ME Intel

Great place IMO. I lived there 15 yrs or more ago long term for an M&A work situation. Liked it then but I lived in NYC.

I’ve been going last few years for long weekend trips and really like the scene. It’s changed a lot and In a good way. Good food, cocktails, beer. Close to lots of nice coastal towns and not too far from Mt. Washington for ze ski.

Agree with schuss. We lived there a long time ago, (Cape Elizabeth), but Mrs. Plug went to Bowdoin, so we go back every year. Road bike riding is very good, mtn. bike riding is OK, fly fishing for stripers is very good.
    We moved because skiing sucked, and was faaaaaaar away.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Ya shoulda thought of it 7-8 years ago, man that place was cheap for what it had to offer.
    Eh, even back then the payscales were whack compared to cost of housing. My wife moved to Boston for a lateral and doubled her salary. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new Northeastern school - https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/1...nd-foundation/

Good info all around. The Northeastern extension is exciting for the area. Skiing almost always includes an overnight. Sunday River is around two hours and Sugarloaf is around three. I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Good info all around. The Northeastern extension is exciting for the area. Skiing almost always includes an overnight. Sunday River is around two hours and Sugarloaf is around three. I could live with that.
    Our friends had a condo at Sunday River and the kids raced.
    We kind of had a crazy couple years there doing something every weekend, where we biked the Cabot Trail, bike/climbed Katahdin’s knife edge, mountain biked around Rangeley Lake area, did Tuckerman’s and Gulf of slides (or whatever), sailed in the gulf, etc. etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

1. I hear the lobster is good there.
    2. The lifts at Sunday River are always on wind hold. YMMV of course.
    3. And the dark early morning drive to the hills is replete with logging trucks either bearing down on you head on or from behind reminiscent of a Steven King novel. The drivers of which, have red glowing eyes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

In a greyest winter competition with upstate NY.

Great skiing. Saddleback back on line makes for a nice trio of mountains. I liked Sugarbush a lot the one time I was there a little while ago in a dump. They're expanding, but just green and blue real estate stuff. I was not so pleasantly surprised at the amount of people I woke up to on a powder weekday. I went to sleep thinking, this place is in the middle of nowhere, this is going to be great, and, lo and behold, cut up in a few hours. Dedicated customer base.

Oh, and frost heaves. Miles and miles of frost heaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    In a greyest winter competition with upstate NY.
    That's bold.

How's your flannel game Maz?
    I still call it The Jake.

Pinkham Notch (Mt. Washington) is under two hours.

I've been many times and really like it. Tons of good things about that place. Housing definitely is crazy expensive on the peninsula and I can't really figure out what supports that, but otherwise I dig it. I spent some time on Peaks Island in 2019, it's pretty cool out there and maybe a little cheaper but don't miss the last ferry home.

I've met many tech sales and I bankers that do 1-2 days a week in Boston for meetings and are otherwise in Portland.

Live in the greater area. Surfing is descent for East Coast. Mountain biking is improving. Food, beer and art scene is good as mentioned. Lots of walkable areas. Airport is easily accessible.

Real estate scene has become much more expensive with coronavirus and folks moving in.

Wildcat, Sunday River and Black Mountain of Maine under two hours and Sugarloaf/Saddleback are two and a half or so.

Islands and ferry service are a nice piece in the summer.

Panhandling has grown in leaps.

Legal weed if that matters.

Good theatre.

I enjoy living here. Just wish Winter was better, but outside northern Vermont true for all of New England. Winter is a solid five months, so definitely need to have good plans to get out.

Thanks to catholic charities of Maine there is diversity in town with immigrants. Outside Portland it gets pretty white.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I'm 45 south and wife used to live there.
    Pros:
    Great beer and food (in normal times)
    Cool atmosphere

Cons:
    No/few jobs that scale with the cost of housing
    Maine in the winter is a cold and desolate place
    You're dependent on the long drive/train to Boston for any additional civilization
    Skiing is further than you think
    Maine Taxes

That said - great city! We always enjoy our time there and go back reasonably frequently.
    Good info, schuss. Looked up the tax burden among states; 4th highest overall according to WalletHub. Up there for sure but what are you gonna do.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Great place IMO. I lived there 15 yrs or more ago long term for an M&A work situation. Liked it then but I lived in NYC.

I’ve been going last few years for long weekend trips and really like the scene. It’s changed a lot and In a good way. Good food, cocktails, beer. Close to lots of nice coastal towns and not too far from Mt. Washington for ze ski.
    The close proximity of cool towns all overall New England is one of the great things about the area. Lots to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Our friends had a condo at Sunday River and the kids raced.
    Learned to ski at Sunday River. They used to have a deal where lessons were free if you stayed on property. Took advantage of that big time. Still east coast skiing but could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    2. The lifts at Sunday River are always on wind hold. YMMV of course.
    Can confirm being stopped mid-air on the Jordan lift, swaying in low teen temperatures is not a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    How's your flannel game Maz?
    I have a pair of flannel-lined chinos and a shop (garage) coat that is flannel-lined. Would have to step it up for sure. Cords, too. Bean boots and boat shoes are on lock, though.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I've met many tech sales and I bankers that do 1-2 days a week in Boston for meetings and are otherwise in Portland.
    ditto consultants & some sales people.

We looked at it a while back, great town but housing costs & taxes plus proximity to airports was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    ditto consultants & some sales people.

We looked at it a while back, great town but housing costs & taxes plus proximity to airports was a factor.
    Yep. Forgot about the homeless factor - they've had reasonably large problems since the mental institution closed a decade+ ago. It's pretty sad in those cases.
    I joke about taxes as I'm over the border.

Spring on the coast of New England is non-existent, it just keeps sucking until at least May. Fall on the other hand is quite nice.
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^definitely true. Spring starts late and fall lasts late.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Great skiing. Saddleback back on line makes for a nice trio of mountains. I liked Sugarbush a lot the one time I was there a little while ago in a dump. They're expanding, but just green and blue real estate stuff. I
    I only like black diamonds real estate

PS. Sugarbush is a loooong drive from Portland ME
    . . .

Whoops. Sugarloaf.

I think that King Pine is only about 90 minutes away for night skiing.

I like Portland a lot, I'd move there.

You can hang out with Dunfee when you get there

Moved to Portland in ‘98, can confirm/agree with most of what’s been mentioned already.

If you like ocean it’s hard to beat, I’ve skied and fished for stripers in the same day. The only other place in New England I’d live would be NEK Vermont. Beyond that I’d go back out west for real winter.

Urban exodus right now is crushing real estate like the rest of the cool places. I’ve got a couple 3 units on Munjoy Hill, hit me up if you ever need a short term spot. I’m full now but have had a steady stream of 3-6 month folks while they look for a place to buy.

Great town, changed a lot since I’ve been here but it’s a cool zone