Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    These last couple days have been an education for me. The mop bucket guy and this.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I took some awesome trips last winter and am even more thankful for that given what has transpired from March onward. After those trips I started thinking about how much carbon was involved with each activity. I wanted to know if my assumptions were anywhere close to the mark. I just saw this article pop up today which reminded me of that experiment:

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stor...-numbers-game/

My own estimations were surely inaccurate but at least give some idea. These are all per-person amounts that take into account only transportation be that car, plane or helicopter. For the air travel I used online emissions calculators. For helicopter travel I contacted the company I flew with and got the fuel usage for the trip.

Ski touring trip to Hokkaido: 3,174 LB of CO2

This includes a flight from Seattle to Sapporo with a layover, and addition domestic flight in Japan, and driving around Hokkaido in the world's smallest AWD hatchback

7 day helicopter access lodge-based ski trip in BC: 340 LB

Includes a drive from Seattle to Golden and return helicopter flight. The drive emitted 60% more that the flight even carpooling with 4 people

Then I started to compare some other regular and hypothetical activities...

A flight from Seattle to SLC: 520 LB

Driving alone to work every day for a year: 6,674 LB

(1 hour RT in 28mpg car)

4 hour R/T drive to skiing: 60 LB

carpooling with one other person in 25mpg car

I found this to be an interesting thing to do. It made me realize that your total emissions can diverge a fair amount from what you guessed, and don't necessarily match up with how much I value something. For example, I don't car for that car-commute to work, but it can total a lot if I do it every day.
    Good on you for caring and posting to start the discussion. I’ve offset my households emissions using the resources linked below. Not saying they’re the best, but I liked them at the time of calculating our annual emissions in dec of each year. I’ve offset w cooleffect (501c3) and taken the deduction guiltily.

Project drawdown - learn about solutions by sector and what has the best return on climate investment drawdown.org

Cooleffect.org - has many different international projects that are verified carbon standard certified. (Verra.org). Trickiest thing about offsets, of course, is the absence of a counterfactual. But don’t let good be the enemy of perfect! They sell offsetted tons at whatever scale you want - be it individual flights or if you choose to do your annual ‘carbon’ taxes as I do.

Would be awesome to find a good western US or CA project where purchased offsets would benefit more than climate impacts (trails, access, biodiversity, skiing etc) but I haven’t found that yet. It’s down there somewhere, lemme take another look.

/soapbox

I plant trees on our property.

They're not smug nor do they overreach for the cutely sarcastic plus they have a wisdom that far outstrips the TRGs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I suicided ten years ago. This is just a bot post I set up knowing there would be a thread like this. Not living is the best way to save the planet. Come join me. I have kool aid for you.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I suicided ten years ago. This is just a bot post I set up knowing there would be a thread like this. Not living is the best way to save the planet. Come join me. I have kool aid for you.
    Sigworthy. Well done sir.

Thank you for your service.
    27° 18°

Were you influenced by Blurred's "Stop global warming: Kill yourself" sticker??? Still one of my favorites.
    Offsets are a step in the right direction but in the end feel like they miss the point. Kinda like going to a whore while your wife is out of town because you know you're going to Confession tomorrow anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    We keep driving old land cruisers but scoff at ford truck driving rednecks.
    How many years of driving a used 13mpg land cruiser before it passes the carbon footprint of a Tesla as it rolls out of the factory? 5? 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Were you influenced by Blurred's "Stop global warming: Kill yourself" sticker??? Still one of my favorites.
    Offsets are a step in the right direction but in the end feel like they miss the point. Kinda like going to a whore while your wife is out of town because you know you're going to Confession tomorrow anyway.
    Fuck the confessional

I buy indulgences. From the Pope.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I plant trees on our property.

They're not smug nor do they overreach for the cutely sarcastic plus they have a wisdom that far outstrips the TRGs.
    Fucking self-assured trees.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Fucking self-assured trees.
    It started off innocently enough with just some tree hugging...
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Fuck the confessional

I buy indulgences. From the Pope.
    they have those for carbon emissions now? I thoughht those were just for pedophilia

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    How many years of driving a used 13mpg land cruiser before it passes the carbon footprint of a Tesla as it rolls out of the factory? 5? 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last year I compared my 4 mile commute in my 15 mpg 100 series LC to my coworker’s 46 mile commute in a Volt, and I won hands down. Not to mention the life cycle impact of her new vehicle compared to mine with 192k miles on the odometer and 15 years on the road.

Protect Our Winters has a simple footprint calculator that allows you to buy offsets based on your calculation. Not verified offsets I don’t think, but mostly US projects focused on improved forest management: https://protectourwinters.org/cost-of-carbon/

I've never purchases an offset. I know that some think offsets will become a valuable commodity - to the point of developing more of them for profit, or speculating on them now while they are cheap. I'd imagine that the verification process can be complex because you have to prove that they are preventing carbon emissions that would otherwise take place, or capturing carbon that would otherwise be captured.

Predictions of global population decline later this century are pretty interesting - you have to wonder how that will affect things: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/w...on-trends.html