Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Pollard Ski Company - Season Eqpt.

I might be biased as someone who loves the Pescado... but dang I’m pretty stoked on this.

https://seasoneqpt.com/

Pollard announced yesterday that he’d left Line skis and launched Season Eqpt today.

Hmmm, Pescado is definitely on my want list.
    Forma looks sweet, a little skinnier.

What’s with the small sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It seems like they’re focusing on just a few skis with just a few sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    What’s with the small sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

was gutted when the Opus was discontinued (magnum is too big for me), I had 3 pair of them.
    luckily the Pescado filled the gap for me, have 2 pair of them. now Line'll probably cancel it too.

hope the Season Forma can still fill the gap, it looks pretty similar, just a bit skinner, which could be quite nice.
    unfortunately they don't have any quoted weights, and seems like no way to even get the gear here in Japan.

A simplified menu of versatile, gender-inclusive equipment with no expiration date.?????
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    A simplified menu of versatile, gender-inclusive equipment with no expiration date.?????
    I mean, what I take from that is that they're talking about just making things in a size range that doesn't make for separate men's/women's models, and maybe not doing model years so that last year's graphic becomes "obsolete".

Weird phrasing though, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I mean, what I take from that is that they're talking about just making things in a size range that doesn't make for separate men's/women's models, and maybe not doing model years so that last year's graphic becomes "obsolete".

Weird phrasing though, no doubt.
    I thought it might be referring to timeless shapes as well.

Sounds like they’ll be at evo to demo this winter.

I can understand the sentiment of not running model years and running neutral graphics from a sustainability, inventory and price stability stand point, if not from a demand stand point. It is a gutsy approach - aka the skis' performance and my name will sell them, we do not need flashy graphics to get attention or create demand/hype - I'll give him/them that And don't get me wrong, they look pretty nice as is - though the geo is pretty par for the course for Pollard skis (-2.5 and probably pretty soft, if even flexing skis) - probably a lot of fun for the right skier, especially in Japow.

I just do not really get why somebody who is as gifted at making amazing looking skis like Mr. Pollard would opt for this approach, over for instance how J Skis does it - all skis are limited release, not model year, there untill all are sold. Sure, lots of people primarily consider shape/performance characteristics when buying skis - but graphics sure sell a lot of skis as well. I dunno - perhaps he will continue to work with Line concerning graphics on they line they developed together, or get enough of a creative outlet through other means.

His option to use frame bindings (re Forma ski page) is a bit odd too, but his choice I guess

Hm - the Forma looks pretty damn awesome shape wise. They are a quite a bit narrower than Pescados, especially in the tips and tails 158-125-144 vs 148-118-138. Should make them a lot of fun and perhaps a bit more versatile. Makes me curious to know what their flex pattern is like.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I just do not really get why somebody who is as gifted at making amazing looking skis like Mr. Pollard would opt for this approach
    Is s/he making, or designing? Making/fabricating is a whole 'nother skillset. I'll be interested to learn if this new company is pressing their own boards and skis, or if they are outsourcing like many young/boutique brands would opt for.

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Is s/he making, or designing? Making/fabricating is a whole 'nother skillset. I'll be interested to learn if this new company is pressing their own boards and skis, or if they are outsourcing like many young/boutique brands would opt for.
    Asked them yesterday—the skis are contracted out. Their designs and specs.

i'm all aboard the forma stoke train.

i like the look of the metal in the tail - that is definitely a weak point in the pescado

i hope that the weight didn't creep up too much as a result of that.

prices look great. i, for one, like the design ethos/mentality quite a bit (minimalist and sustainable). i'm looking forward to hearing some real-world reviews of these sticks.

I just do not really get why somebody who is as gifted at making amazing looking skis like Mr. Pollard would opt for this approach
    Yeah, he's a talented artist... I don't get it. But I wish him luck.

With a traditional tail the 183 length would probably be more like 185 or 186, I'm guessing.

My bad - I was talking about the graphics (the stuff that is on the skis), not the manufacturing (aka the building of the skis), but used unclear terminology - or should have kept the two first paragraphs as one to prevent confusion.

I did not mean to infer that Pollard and co were producing/building their skis themselves - I kinda took it as a given that the manufacturing was outsourced.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i like the look of the metal in the tail - that is definitely a weak point in the pescado
    Oh - well spotted, I always assumed that newer Pescados had the updated tails of the Sakanas, but indeed you are right.

But color me interested - the Forma looks like something I would very much like to try

Forma looks like something I would very much like to try
    Ordering a pair of 183's . . .

If they are gonna do gender-inclusive sizing options, perhaps they should've considered offering a greater range of lengths. In limiting the sizes, they are, in a way, making their skis less gender-inclusive. I really don't understand this. The skis look sick and I'd love to give them a try but I simply require a longer ski.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    If they are gonna do gender-inclusive sizing options, perhaps they should've considered offering a greater range of lengths. In limiting the sizes, they are, in a way, making their skis less gender-inclusive. I really don't understand this. The skis look sick and I'd love to give them a try but I simply require a longer ski.
    Perhaps it is an intentional snub against toxic masculinity. Men tromping around with their long planks, showing off like it's a status symbol with their chests puffed out. Let me guess, you man-spread while sitting? Perhaps this gender-inclusive brand is for soy-boys and tenderfoots like myself who used to dream of ripping 190's, but have since found our place as beta-males slashing on 170's.

Perhaps it is an intentional snub against toxic masculinity. Men tromping around with their long planks, showing off like it's a status symbol with their chests puffed out. Let me guess, you man-spread while sitting? Perhaps this gender-inclusive brand is for soy-boys and tenderfoots like myself who used to dream of ripping 190's, but have since found our place as beta-males slashing on 170's.
    agreed that the gender-inclusive sizing thing is marketing BS. lame. they need more sizes.

that said, pollard only did the pescado in a 180, and most riders agree that the 180 pescado skis well regardless of their size/riding style.

full disclosure, i am a 155lb, 6' soyboy beta cuck who likes skis in the 175-183 range, so their sizing seems spot on for me.

Hm - the Forma looks pretty damn awesome shape wise. They are a quite a bit narrower than Pescados, especially in the tips and tails 158-125-144 vs 148-118-138. Should make them a lot of fun and perhaps a bit more versatile. Makes me curious to know what their flex pattern is like.
    I find the Pescado to be impressively versatile for its size. I bought it as a powder specific ski, but it have gotten way more use than just powder days. As long as it is somewhat soft, they are always great fun. I was waiting for a narrower Pescado, and was disappointed when the Sakana came out since it is too narrow. I was expecting and hoping for a 115mm Pescado, but now it´s probably more likely that Line drops the Pescado totally instead. Maybe the Forma can fill that gap, depending on the construction.

The tail looks solid on the forma. I consider myself as someone that likes a low key more simplistic graphic that stands time - his approach misses the mark for me. That satin black will probably scratch up super easy and drag the clean look down. Plus full black on a ski some will want for touring seems like an oversight or disregard. Doesn’t bother me a ton but I’m always reading how mags dislike the dark hot colors for the snow collection.. wish the Co the best

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Plus full black on a ski some will want for touring seems like an oversight or disregard
    Sincere question from a guy getting into A/T this year: why?

The theory is that a black topsheet gets hot in the sun, and snow sticks to it more.

I haven't ever noticed that much of a difference. I think topsheet texture matters more.

Sun heats up the topsheet since the black colour absorbs heat. That heat melts the snow while the surroundings cools it down again = ice and snow stick to the skis. Seriously annoying on some days since the skis get heavy. It is even worse if you have metal just under the graphics or if you have parts of the ski with exposed metal (on some skis with 3D TripleWhatever Jada Jada construction). Many skis are black though so not a huge deal, but still, pretty much any other colour is better in this regard. White skis suck more imho, since they are harder to find if you loose them in powder. So not all white and not black, please, ski industry.

Thanks for that. Explanation makes sense.