Avalanche Canada funding problem due to BC election

Despite B.C. NDP government promise, Avalanche Canada, the Revelstoke-based national avalanche forecasting and safety organization is left out in the cold with no funding commitment as record backcountry snow touring season looms.

Valade says the snap election call by the John Horgan government has put funding for the organization in question. Their existing grants are not guaranteed, and the grant-based funding means they receive funding news late into the season, potentially interrupting staffing levels.

Full article at https://www.revelstokemountaineer.co...election-call/

"the confirmed BC Government funding so far for this coming year is zero dollars. This means we are obligated to start planning for cost-cutting measures. We will be sure to inform our users of any cuts to programs."

https://mailchi.mp/avalanche/the-asp...s-october-news

Fuck you NDP, hopefully won't have to deal with those jokers after the election.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I think you will find the liberals are asleep at the switch and the NDP called the election cuz they knew they could get in again. I predict apres election some money will come thru later in the game which is what happened last year or maybe it was the year before?

our american cousins should note in BC the liberals are actualy the conservatives
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I could use the ndp bucks to pay my cerb tax. Im in!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

NDP jokers were never elected.
    Hopefully the end run the NDP pulled last election pissed off enough people that things will be different this year.

yeah ^^ the thing about politics is its just so fucking political

https://dogwoodbc.ca/news/bc-liberal...1GJF1nZfsy6Qkc

the Liberal campaign is on life support ^^ apparently , Andrew Wilkinson was interviewed on CBC today, he was pretty sharp but will likely be a sharp loser

no wonder they posted this on FB

When there's no avalanche forecast available, the Dangerator can help you estimate the danger using weather data and field observations.

Find out more
    : https://www.avalanche.ca/dangerator
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Avalanche Canada funding problem due to BC election

Is Lammers still there? Fucking good guy!

Best of luck with funding., won’t be getting much from the yanks this year.

I think there will be funding, possibly federal, i don't think JT would let this die off

“Lincoln loop Lammers” Legendary!

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    NDP jokers were never elected.
    Hopefully the end run the NDP pulled last election pissed off enough people that things will be different this year.

how'd that work out for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    with the NDP securing a clear majority (as predicated), does this resolve the funding concerns?
    Not exactly. MAYBE their promise in the legislature, which they didn't follow through on before the election, still stands. But even if it does it is discretionary funding and will be bottom of the to do list of the responsible Minister (who may change in the new cabinet). Certainly won't happen in time for this winter season.

Michelle Trudeau was the victim of an Aviy and is still somewhere in Kokanee lake,

I can't see funding of Avalanche Canada just fading away

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    how'd that work out for ya?
    Sounds like you're an NDP fan boi. Thanks for fucking up our economy.

Blame Obama.

Better than money laundering Liberal crims. I bet Christy the Crim Clark and Wilkinson rides an ebike.

he is just pissed cuz he missed out on all the money laundering with Christy Clark, Rich Coleman and our people

yeah, no...definitely not a fan 'boi' of any party....and I wouldn't say they've fucked up our economy, my business has been and continues to be full speed ahead.

Still no secure funding from British Columbia:-

Columbia River Revelstoke MLA Doug Clovechok rose to speak in the Legislature this week to champion sustainable funding for Avalanche Canada.

Avalanche Canada is headquartered in Revelstoke and Clovechok has been working on their funding for two years.

Avalanche Canada services all of Canada, Clovechok says, with 14 regions and over 330,000 square kilometres A full 98 per cent of that terrain is in British Columbia.

“When Canada provided funding it was on the understanding that provinces would chip in proportionately. Funding from provinces is expected to be proportionate to services provided,” Clovechok said. “95 per cent of the regions are in B.C. 80 per cent of the budget is spent in B.C. 75 per cent of avalanche fatalities occur in B.C. Eight people have died this year, all from B.C.”

He says that in the Yukon the contribution to Avalanche Canada is about $1.40 per resident. In B.C. it’s eight cents.

On top of that, the funding from B.C. is from gaming grants and has to be applied for each year, while Clovechok says funding from the Yukon and Alberta is sustainable.

He says he spoke to Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth two years ago and received a commitment that the provincial government would provide $1 million per year.

“But when he went to the Treasury Board and asked for the money, they said no. We’re still having this conversation two years later.”

Gilles Valade, executive director of Avalanche Canada says they remain hopeful that the provincial budget to be presented this spring will include that $1 million in sustainable funding for Avalanche Canada.

Right now, he says, B.C. doesn’t provide enough money in proportion to the services they get.

“If you remove B.C. there’s no avalanche problem in Canada,” he said.

He says the need to apply for funding each year is a challenge. For instance, it’s difficult for the Avalanche Canada board of directors to sign off on a budget with uncertainty in funding.

“We have to approve the budget and work plans on the hope of funding arriving,” Valade said.

Both Clovechok and Valade say it is particularly important that funding is sustainable now, as the pandemic has seen a huge increase in backcountry use, and many of these new users are inexperienced.

“I am hopeful that in this year’s budget, something will happen,” Valade said. “The Minister committed to that amount of money. They wouldn’t have made the commitment if they weren’t planning on following through. We’re trying to stay positive. We need that money to make the machine work is the bottom line.”

https://www.revelstokereview.com/new...tive-director/

With tens of millions being funnelled into dubious stimulus projects, it’s mind blowing this isn’t funded. I can only assume that Avalanche Canada are useless at lobbying, and that Clovechok has no influence.

Clovechuck has gone to bat for mountain bikers in my area and got trails closures reversed so he has some juice down in the legislature.
    Hope he keeps pushing for Caa.

Don't they usually they get last minute dribs and drabs of money every year, 10 million seems like a good chunk of change ?