Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184

    Hematoma and Torn Calf: Will it Ski?

    I tore my tibialis anterior two months ago. Like, muscle torn clean from the bone. I quickly developed a hematoma that swelled 2cm. Numbness along the entire length of the tib ant. Went to the doctor; he diagnosed it and said the hematoma would go down in a few weeks and numbness would subside. It has been two months and while the swelling has been reduced, the hematoma is still very much there; just rock solid and still mostly numb. What should I do about this? Is this normal? Does the logic of "it doesn't hurt because its numb and therefore fine" apply in this situation?
    you don't want no smoke.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    12,643
    You tore the tibialis anterior AND calf? Same leg? You need to stop masturbating so furiously.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,898
    Wrong forum, JONG!
    What did the Doc say about skiing? To me, it will be all about feel. You will know after two runs, and probably right after you put on your ski boots.
    Sucks, mang!
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    You tore the tibialis anterior AND calf? Same leg? You need to stop masturbating so furiously.
    Isn't it all referred to as the "calf" muscle? Or is the calf just the gastro?
    you don't want no smoke.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Wrong forum, JONG!
    What did the Doc say about skiing? To me, it will be all about feel. You will know after two runs, and probably right after you put on your ski boots.
    Sucks, mang!
    Fuck, I forgot about Gimp Central. I forgot to ask about skiing. I'm gonna boot up right now and see how it feels.
    you don't want no smoke.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    12,643
    The front muscles control different movement than the back muscles.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    ˇÓrale, vato!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    The front muscles control different movement than the back muscles.
    Yeah, I get that but isn't the tib ant just the front of the calf?
    you don't want no smoke.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,941
    Ummmm. ..... what is the shin, for $200?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    16,597
    A hematoma doesn't always go away. Sometimes it turns to scar. At 2 months you may still get some further shrinkage, or not. Do you have any trouble dorsiflexing the foot, compared to the other one? (Bending the whole foot--not just the toes--towards the ceiling.) If you push down on the dorsiflexed foot with your hand does it seems as strong as the other one? Do you have any trouble plantar flexing the foot--bending it towards the floor--compared to the other one? Does any of that hurt?
    If you have good range of motion and strength and little or no pain with those tests you should be good to go by ski season.
    I assume you're talking about tearing the muscle away from its origin--the attachment in the upper part of the anterior leg, since the other end of the muscle--the insertion--attaches to the ankle and foot.

    If your doctor gave you any limitations on what you could do while it healed you should follow those limitations for however long they told you. If they didn't say I'd give it another month to heal completely before resuming unrestricted activity.

    If there is significant weakness of dorsiflexion or significant limitation in the range of motion, or if you're still having a lot of pain, you'd better discuss with your doctor.

    As far as terminology--from the knee to the ankle is the leg. The front of the leg is the anterior leg. Whether the anterior tibialis is considered part of the shin is a matter for further debate. Some would consider only the tibia bone itself to be the shin. The back of the leg (calf) is the posterior leg. The correct term for someone who gives you a hard time about these terms is douche.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Ummmm. ..... what is the shin, for $200?
    good thing that wasn't a daily double.
    you don't want no smoke.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A hematoma doesn't always go away. Sometimes it turns to scar. At 2 months you may still get some further shrinkage, or not. Do you have any trouble dorsiflexing the foot, compared to the other one? (Bending the whole foot--not just the toes--towards the ceiling.) If you push down on the dorsiflexed foot with your hand does it seems as strong as the other one? Do you have any trouble plantar flexing the foot--bending it towards the floor--compared to the other one? Does any of that hurt?
    If you have good range of motion and strength and little or no pain with those tests you should be good to go by ski season.
    I assume you're talking about tearing the muscle away from its origin--the attachment in the upper part of the anterior leg, since the other end of the muscle--the insertion--attaches to the ankle and foot.

    If your doctor gave you any limitations on what you could do while it healed you should follow those limitations for however long they told you. If they didn't say I'd give it another month to heal completely before resuming unrestricted activity.

    If there is significant weakness of dorsiflexion or significant limitation in the range of motion, or if you're still having a lot of pain, you'd better discuss with your doctor.

    As far as terminology--from the knee to the ankle is the leg. The front of the leg is the anterior leg. Whether the anterior tibialis is considered part of the shin is a matter for further debate. Some would consider only the tibia bone itself to be the shin. The back of the leg (calf) is the posterior leg. The correct term for someone who gives you a hard time about these terms is douche.
    Thanks OG. It's almost like you are a doctor or something. Dorsiflexion is good and feels strong, as does plantar flexing but I do feel some strain on the hematoma. Not pain, just discomfort. Yes, it was a tear from the origin. I was trying to push a golf cart out of a water hazard. Alcohol was involved. Doc said I pushed harder than the muscle could bear. He was impressed.

    The discomfort is not significant, nor is the hinderance of the range of motion but do you think draining might be viable? The doc mentioned that during my visit but figured that it would go down on its own at this point.
    you don't want no smoke.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    16,597
    I wouldn't think from your description that it can be drained--not if it's rock hard. Maybe at first it could have been--but usually there's too much clot for a needle and cutting it open causes more problems than the hematoma--plus either one runs the risk of introducing infection. Only someone who actually examines it could tell you if it could be drained now but I'd say it's unlikely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •