Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BC Hut Trip Recommendations

I am working to put together a hut trip with some friends in 2022 with the hopes that life will be mostly back to normal by then. Looking for a guided/catered hut that is drivable from seattle. I did a trip at powder creek 10 years ago and enjoyed it, some others in the group have been to sorcerer and icefall with good experiences as well. It seems like most of the operations are similar and high quality, any standouts we should prioritize?

http://alpinethreadworks.com/about.html

if you wana find a good guide, let him do it all the work and you just show up I skied with this guide and some of his repeat american clients last year ^^ at GAH, he books the hut , contracts the cook, contracts the assistant guide, i got the contact thru lee Lau, I stuffed gear in some packs and was there on 3 days notice, good experiance good food and no fuckups

some of the crew were using his packs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I just posted a similar question in another thread. This looks spectacular with availability.
    https://www.telluride.com/plan/busin...san-juan-huts/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Carl. Neil Warren aka Alpine Threadworks aka http://neilwarrenskiguiding.com/courses-and-trips

Neil has a 2022 Selkirk Lodge trip. Contact him directly. Incredibly dialed.

Also if you're strong, competent and safe AND if conditions permit he'll let you go into challenging wonderfully steep terrain.

We had beautifully stable amazing conditions at Sentry and he was leading us into hallways of steep perfect Selkirk pow with pillows

More here http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/s...n-2020-part-2/

Lee Lau has done an excellent job of telling us clueless Seattleites where to go ski in Canada. Just scroll through his trip reports:

http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/

Special nod to John Baldwin as well:

https://www.johnbaldwin.ca/exploring...ns-on-skis.asp

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Lee Lau has done an excellent job of telling us clueless Seattleites where to go ski in Canada. Just scroll through his trip reports:

http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/

Special nod to John Baldwin as well:

https://www.johnbaldwin.ca/exploring...ns-on-skis.asp
    BUT Canada is nothing by fly in luxury huts and roads and trails cut everywhere. No natural backcountry anywhere....

I never said Canada was all luxury. Plenty of falling apart illegal huts as well. Seattle metro is currently 4.2 million, expected to grow to 5.8 by 2050 (about the same size as Toronto metro is today; San Francisco metro today is 7 million). I assume Vancouver's growth rate will be about the same, if not more. How does an extra 4 million people heading up to the Duffey sound? You'll wish you had a wilderness designation as robust as the US.
    Last edited by altasnob; 10-19-2020 at 08:44 PM.

I never said Canada was all luxury. Plenty of falling apart illegal huts as well. Seattle metro is currently 4.2 million, expected to grow to 5.8 by 2050 (about the same size as Toronto metro is today; San Francisco metro today is 7 million). I assume Vancouver's growth rate will be about the same, if not more. How does an extra 4 million people heading up to the Duffey sound? You'll wish you had a wilderness designation as robust as the US.
    It never snows in BC and if it does, it sucks.. nothing worth seeing or skiing

Ok alta, I've decided to unignore you and you go and post this... So in the coming years we can expect 4MM folks heading up the Duffy? And, we are to be jealous of the robust US wilderness designation (as opposed to our provincial and national park systems)...
    Um, bullshit councillor.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    im goin back to the bombers crib
    and im hopin to score the ice cream cone to the lumber yard switch to the road

i scream you scream
    no one on my stokeless babblin dipshit list is gittin an invite for this dream team
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'll wave from a couple ridges to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    So in the coming years we can expect 4MM folks heading up the Duffy? And, we are to be jealous of the robust US wilderness designation (as opposed to our provincial and national park systems)
    I am just helping you prepare for the impending onslaught of mericans. I see Portland has already infiltrated the inner depths of Vancouver.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100203.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	344178

"Portland Craft has created locally sourced offerings inspired by the Portland food scene paired with the best craft beers and beverages the Northwest has to offer!"

Diamond J is perfect for before or after a 10th Mt. trip.

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	344257

http://www.diamondjcolorado.com

https://www.huts.org

Holy fuck that's funny.
    You do realize that 90% of the Canadian population live within 60 odd miles from the US border right?
    People per square mile Canada - 4
    People per square mile USA - 92

Thanks for your warning though... we'll keep wishing we have as much open space as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    You do realize that 90% of the Canadian population live within 60 odd miles from the US border right?
    That's precisely my point. How land is managed near booming metro areas is most important. It is hard to find data comparing public management in Washington vs. BC, but maps give a general idea.

Map of BC Provincial and National Parks around metro Vancouver. These areas are generally protected from biking, ebikes, snowmobile, heli drops. Huts are not strictly prohibited from these lands (park by park basis).

Name:	Screenshot (17).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	344293

Here is a map of National Forest around Seattle. National Forests in the US are much more restricted than Crown Land in Canada. For instance, in the National Forests around Seattle you cannot log. Structures are allowed (like ski areas who lease land from the National Forest) but they are extremely limited. There are no backcountry huts of any kind. Mountain biking is allowed in parts, illegal in other parts. Note, there also is Washington State Department of Resource Land surrounding the National Forests, which is open to things like biking.

Name:	Screenshot (16).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	344294

Here is a map of Washington's wilderness areas. Biking, snowmobile, heli drops, and structures (like huts) are not allowed. Canada has no land restriction as protective (because structures are allowed in some Provincial Parks; it is a park by park basis). There are no roads of any kind in these wilderness areas, only trails open to hikers and equestrians. Washington's National Parks (Olympic, Rainier, and North Cascades) have roads and structures that are exempt from the wilderness, but all lands 100 ft from these lands and structures is wilderness.
    Name:  Screenshot (18).png
Views: 503
Size:  976.1 KB

I've been to huts in Canada and will continue to do so, so I am an hypocrite. But I take exception when Canadians say US land management is fucked. There are valid reasons for our land management laws. You can ridicule the US for all sorts of reasons, but America's wilderness system is one thing I am very proud of and what sets us apart from other nations. I realize the vast majority of TGR posters (both Canadians and Americans) disagree with me. Most want full access to ebikes, heli drops, huts, ect.

I question any assertion there are lots of illegal huts,

illegal huts are especialy easy to find in the snow, if you build an illegal hut or anything without consent you might be in for a world of hurt from the BC gov, a buddy who is a TGR member did something like that and got so severely fucked over by the gov he strongly recommended me to never ever do anything like he did

having said that all the BC skiers around here work for the gov so they know all the rules and all the people to talk to, i remember the discussion " hey are we really allowed to just put a trailer here ?" Oh ya man I talked to so n so, as long as its not a permanent structure we're cool and hey we got that outhouse from buddy over at parks "

Here's an example comparing Washington's Wilderness vs BC's Provincial Park. Cathedral Peak, WA is a 19 mile hike in, one way, through one of the largest, most wild wilderness areas in the lower 48:

Name:	catherdral.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	344301

Just across the boarder, there is Cathedral Provincial Park, where you can hitch a ride up to the lodge (one of the highest in Canada):
    Name:  The-Lodge1.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  217.0 KB

That's precisely my point. How land is managed near booming metro areas is most important. It is hard to find data comparing public management in Washington vs. BC, but maps give a general idea.

Map of BC Provincial and National Parks around metro Vancouver. These areas are generally protected from biking, ebikes, snowmobile, heli drops. Huts are not strictly prohibited from these lands (park by park basis).

Name:	Screenshot (17).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	344293

Here is a map of National Forest around Seattle. National Forests in the US are much more restricted than Crown Land in Canada. For instance, in the National Forests around Seattle you cannot log. Structures are allowed (like ski areas who lease land from the National Forest) but they are extremely limited. There are no backcountry huts of any kind. Mountain biking is allowed in parts, illegal in other parts. Note, there also is Washington State Department of Resource Land surrounding the National Forests, which is open to things like biking.

Name:	Screenshot (16).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	344294

Here is a map of Washington's wilderness areas. Biking, snowmobile, heli drops, and structures (like huts) are not allowed. Canada has no land restriction as protective (because structures are allowed in some Provincial Parks; it is a park by park basis). There are no roads of any kind in these wilderness areas, only trails open to hikers and equestrians. Washington's National Parks (Olympic, Rainier, and North Cascades) have roads and structures that are exempt from the wilderness, but all lands 100 ft from these lands and structures is wilderness.
    Name:  Screenshot (18).png
Views: 503
Size:  976.1 KB

I've been to huts in Canada and will continue to do so, so I am an hypocrite. But I take exception when Canadians say US land management is fucked. There are valid reasons for our land management laws. You can ridicule the US for all sorts of reasons, but America's wilderness system is one thing I am very proud of and what sets us apart from other nations. I realize the vast majority of TGR posters (both Canadians and Americans) disagree with me. Most want full access to ebikes, heli drops, huts, ect.
    You’re not wrong. Land management in BC is patchwork of inconsistent and arbitrarily applied regulation, written by and for the biggest exploiters, and administered by underresouced and toothless agencies. We’ve long relied on our vast emptiness, rather than any sensible policy to limit the damage, but those of us who live and work in the forest know a reckoning is coming.

Two lodges that I'll give a shout out to because they are owned by nice peeps.

Sol Mountain owned by the Cooperman's. Icefall Lodge owned by Larry Dolecki.

Another option is to do a Yukon glacier camp with James Minifie and his outfit Skookum Adventures. https://www.skookumbackcountry.com/about James guides at Sol a several weeks a year.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Two lodges that I'll give a shout out to because they are owned by nice peeps.

Sol Mountain owned by the Cooperman's. Icefall Lodge owned by Larry Dolecki.
    Dolecki fooled u. That guy is a f’n retard!!

As for BC huts...the thread is about Back-Country huts not specifically British Columbian huts....

Alta tard is frothing at everyone’s stupidity....he’s probably right about Merica taking over our backcountry. We just keep advertising all of our hidden gems....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 10-22-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Jesus fucking christ. Another goddamn thread where Altasnob is telling everyone he is right and they are wrong. Go back to lawyering and give it a goddamn rest.

you can just goggle backcountrylodgesofbc.com this info is not secret,

I didn't start it. Tell the Canadians to stop poking me. When you spend the majority of your life a stones throw from the border you can't help but develop animosity, and the feeling is mutual judging by the comments of LeeLau, et al.

You want a hut rec? Callahan (Journeyman Lodge) is by far the easiest to get to full service lodge near Seattle. More snow than Whistler but more wet and coastal. Food was amazing. When I went, the Lodge was run by Canadian Idol winner Ryan Malcolm, who serenaded us with acoustic sets in the evening. We, being the only Americans there, were clueless who he was.

Name:  Ryan_Malcolm.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  95.0 KB

Only bummer was the view from the top.

Name:	P1130400.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1,018.1 KB 
ID:	344410

Name:	P1130402.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	344411

I didn't start it. Tell the Canadians to stop poking me. When you spend the majority of your life a stones throw from the border you can't help but develop animosity, ...
    Wait. What? That's the first time I've ever heard that as someone who's lived close to the border most of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wait. What? That's the first time I've ever heard that as someone who's lived close to the border most of my life.
    I think envy is the word I would use.