Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,291

    Whole house water flow detectors/auto shutoff?

    I've been thinking that one of these would be a good idea. I don't necessarily need one that sends a notification to my phone, I just want it to detect a leak or flow event and shut down the water. Anyone have any recommendations or experience with them?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,121
    Flo by moen

    Bought one, works great

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,291
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Flo by moen

    Bought one, works great

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    That one comes up most often in reviews. You don't need the accessory sensors for auto shutoff with a leak do you? Only the base unit on your main water line?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    7,893
    I wish we had one back when the feed line to the toilet rotted out. Nobody was home and it ran for 5 or 6 hours and filled the basement 8" deep. The kids got home from school and grandpa opened the door and all the water rushed out. What a fuck'n mess that was.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    21,629
    the usual thing is the water tank, i've had a couple go, now i have a pan under the tank which is cheap insurance
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    https://www.amazon.com/Winland-Elect.../dp/B000BKQ75G

    if you have an alarm system with notification Water bug is cheap and you'll be notified and even if you're not home you at least know and can get somebody to go to the house and turn off the water before it turns into a disaster. If you're on a well it can be rigged to cut power to the well pump. But if I'm going away for a while I just cut the breaker to the pump off as cheap insurance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,973
    I have no experience with these in my house but I’ve had a lot of these installed on commercial projects and they’ve saved our skin a few times...

    Make sure you tell your insurance carrier. They will likely give you a few bucks back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    14,864

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sandy by the front
    Posts
    2,086
    We have an unfinished basement and have a Honeywell water detector that sends an email if water is detected. Have it near floor drain so it would detect water heater. Have a sump pump that only has a laundry tub on it. Water softener when regenerating runs into laundry tub. Two years ago was woke up by phone going off due to pump failing at 2:00 AM during regeneration.

    I always turn off water if we are gone overnight.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    My neighbors in front of us, a couple years ago was the first winter nobody lived in the house, they turned the heat down to 60 but a pipe froze in a cold snap and then started flowing when it warmed up. It pumped water into the house for at least 2 months, possibly as much as 4.

    The guy said, when he first opened the front door, it was alive inside. Something flew past him. It was like a terrarium. It was plenty warm enough in there for things to grow. Kind of amazed they didn't just tear the place down but they completely gutted it and rebuilt it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    21,629
    I'm curious how these things work?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    keyboards?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,121
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That one comes up most often in reviews. You don't need the accessory sensors for auto shutoff with a leak do you? Only the base unit on your main water line?
    Yes

    Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    My neighbors in front of us, a couple years ago was the first winter nobody lived in the house, they turned the heat down to 60 but a pipe froze in a cold snap and then started flowing when it warmed up. It pumped water into the house for at least 2 months, possibly as much as 4.

    The guy said, when he first opened the front door, it was alive inside. Something flew past him. It was like a terrarium. It was plenty warm enough in there for things to grow. Kind of amazed they didn't just tear the place down but they completely gutted it and rebuilt it.
    Wow. Why not shut the water off at that point?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    I mean he turned the water off like 2 minutes after he saw what was happening, up until then he didn't know.

    We're both on wells, I probably should have waited a while before I told him to cut the breaker off to the pump next time he goes away.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,481
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I mean he turned the water off like 2 minutes after he saw what was happening, up until then he didn't know.

    We're both on wells, I probably should have waited a while before I told him to cut the breaker off to the pump next time he goes away.
    Yeah, I meant why not shut it off before leaving for an extended period during winter.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    I think they didn't realize nobody was gonna be there for so long. And, the heat was on. I guess they just didn't worry about it. It wasn't a genius move.

    The guy's Dad had lived in the house year-round and his adult kids are mainly there in the summer but then the Dad died and one thing lead to another.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,704
    I didn't know that this existed, but it makes a lot of sense. I have a security system with water sensors (Simplisafe) but if the alarm goes off when I'm somewhere outside of the house without cell service that's not going to do much good!

    I wonder if these can or could also be programmed to just shut off if more than a specified amount of water flows within a certain period of time? i.e. I'm not filling a swimming pool and if it's running for 2 hours it should probably shut off.

    When I had a new fridge installed they put an auto-shut-off valve on the water line so that anything over a certain amount of flow should automatically shut off. That seems slick but it doesn't fit behind the fridge that well and I assume only work for a low-flow water line to a fridge.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    1,250
    It probably exists for agriculture but it'd need to have a flow meter and a timer and all these ones just rely on moisture to complete a circuit basically.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CO/UT
    Posts
    2,481
    I'm going to have to look into this more for sure though. I do occasionally leave my house empty for a week or two at a time and the peace of mind would be nice as my new house doesn't have a shut-off inside like my old one did.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It probably exists for agriculture but it'd need to have a flow meter and a timer and all these ones just rely on moisture to complete a circuit basically.
    This one has a pressure sensor but as far as I can see it only shuts off based on those water sensors:

    https://www.moen.com/flo/power-of-pressure

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,618
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm curious how these things work?
    Watch the this old house link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    14,864
    I wish my water heater would leak and flood the 1/4 basement so we could get rid of all the crap down there. My mom was a hoarder and had a basement leak and we were able to get rid of a bunch of stuff, but she filled it up again.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,618
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wish my water heater would leak and flood the 1/4 basement so we could get rid of all the crap down there. My mom was a hoarder and had a basement leak and we were able to get rid of a bunch of stuff, but she filled it up again.
    Your Mom lives in your basement?

    That's a turnaround from the norm here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    21,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    The guy's Dad had lived in the house year-round and his adult kids are mainly there in the summer but then the Dad died and one thing lead to another.
    the solution is obvious ...sue the estate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •