Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    That might be what happened, they gutted the place pretty much right away but then it sat for a good 8 months before they started rebuilding it. The rumor was it was trouble with the insurance company but I never asked.

The ones we use on the commercial side are programmable - you define max GPM, max time or some combination their of and to either notify you or to shut off the valve or both.

The one we use is from a company called Neptune. I doubt they make a residential unit. These Neptune meters are like a $30k install and we’re putting them on a 8”+ water-main or fire pump service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Your Mom lives in your basement?

That's a turnaround from the norm here.
    Ha, no. The crap in my basement is my wife's doing. Mostly holiday decorations. I feel about those the same way Melania does.

There was no room in my mom's house for anyone to live, including her. The guy we hired to clean out her condo after she died filled 4 full size dumpsters, not counting stuff that he could sell. (She had a nice mid century modern bedroom set my folks bought mid century. She died a bit before the boom in interest for that kind of furniture but I bet we could have gotten a pretty penny for it now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I didn't know that this existed, but it makes a lot of sense. I have a security system with water sensors (Simplisafe) but if the alarm goes off when I'm somewhere outside of the house without cell service that's not going to do much good!

I wonder if these can or could also be programmed to just shut off if more than a specified amount of water flows within a certain period of time? i.e. I'm not filling a swimming pool and if it's running for 2 hours it should probably shut off.

When I had a new fridge installed they put an auto-shut-off valve on the water line so that anything over a certain amount of flow should automatically shut off. That seems slick but it doesn't fit behind the fridge that well and I assume only work for a low-flow water line to a fridge.
    The more expensive options have this ability, but are braised onto the water main by a plumber. The valve will shut if too much flow is detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    This one has a pressure sensor but as far as I can see it only shuts off based on those water sensors:

https://www.moen.com/flo/power-of-pressure
    I don't think that's the case? I was unclear on this but best I can determine is that sensors alert you in real time but aren't needed for leak detection and auto shut off? I asked that of Rod, but his yes answer could be construed either way I guess.

Timely thread. Do the auto shutoff valves work with water pressure boosters? The one we have is like a car turbo with a few seconds of lag and then it really cranks. I'm wondering if the sudden boost in pressure will throw false positives. The FAQs for Moen Flo doesn't mention anything.

I need an alternative as I'm done with all the Samsung Smartthings water sensors I have installed as they keep going down. One went down in the crawlspace and didn't detect a pinhole leak (it was actually the pressure booster running constantly that alerted us).

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Timely thread. Do the auto shutoff valves work with water pressure boosters? The one we have is like a car turbo with a few seconds of lag and then it really cranks. I'm wondering if the sudden boost in pressure will throw false positives. The FAQs for Moen Flo doesn't mention anything.

I need an alternative as I'm done with all the Samsung Smartthings water sensors I have installed as they keep going down. One went down in the crawlspace and didn't detect a pinhole leak (it was actually the pressure booster running constantly that alerted us).
    I have a similar set up and wondering the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........