Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noob bleed system.

Been on the tubes and the interwebs.
    And the trg.

My bike needs a bleed ASAP. sram guide.
    Kids have shimano mineral oil.
    So I need one kit of each.

What should I buy? Not afraid to spend money to save money, although I can afford to pay my lbs for this. But once wifey upgrades I will have four bikes to bleed, and I’m not paying that much every year. No offense but I can wrench. And like it.

What kit(s) should I get?

What’s the easiest kit?

Will buy local, if they have it. But want best bang for the buck for long term.

I see some cycle back and forth to clear bubbles. Others just push it one way.

Thx in advance. #shitweusedtosay
    . . .

Park tool kit. Buy the right oil.

I have one of the $20 amazon shimano kits. Works fine. Shimano is simple with the bleeder cup, no nasty brake fluid. No experience with recent SRAM.

shimano = mineral oil + one way bleeding (1 needle + cup) + easy

Sram = DOT + 2 way bleeding (2 needle/hose) + not easy

bleed kits on ebay cheap. buy 1 of each, dont use DOT and Min oil in the same system/bleed kit
    https://www.ebay.ca/str/BuySmart-24?...p2047675.l2563

youtube instruction for your exact system

Kids have shimano. Sounds easier.

I’m stuck with sram dot fluid.
    And sounds like more pain.

Mtlion, ca link no worky.

$20 amazon makes sense for shimano.

Is there a good but affordable sram kit?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Is there a good but affordable sram kit?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/254104613751?...r=554530447048
    That gets you the the SRAM regular fittings and the "bleeding edge" fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    shimano = mineral oil + one way bleeding (1 needle + cup) + easy

Sram = DOT + 2 way bleeding (2 needle/hose) + not easy

bleed kits on ebay cheap. buy 1 of each, dont use DOT and Min oil in the same system/bleed kit
    https://www.ebay.ca/str/BuySmart-24?...p2047675.l2563

youtube instruction for your exact system
    ^ This.

I'd add the suggestion to get the kit/do the Shimano yourself (easier process, applies to multiple bikes, get some experience, much safer fluid), but consider bringing the SRAM to a shop this go-round. Depending how long a bleed lasts for you, could be last time?

Because I was to chicken to deal with the wonky bleeding and storing DOT fluid alongside Shimano and Magura, I brought 2 different SRAM bikes to shops. My experience:
    - Elixirs - 3 different shops took bike in for full bleeds, and all 3 returned it unbled with the excuse that "it didn't need it". This includes the original shop that sold bike to me.
    - Guides (4-pot) - Took bike in for a single bleed, and they returned it to me w/new brake in the rear. Turns out what I thought was needing a bleed was an issue covered by warranty,

The first case for me was confirmation that they are a PITA. The second case was a nice surprise, but I've still not had a bike shop bleed SRAMs for me.

Good luck!

I got a shimano bleed kit from here a few years ago, comes with all you need. They have kits for SRAM too

https://epicbleedsolutions.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

I have no idea why people find sram bleeds to be difficult.

Screw a syringe into the lever. Screw a syringe onto the caliper. Push oil from one end to the other. Remove syringes, reinstall screws, go ride. If you have the new srams with bleeding edge fittings, it's even easier (no screws to reinstall at caliper end). If you can't handle it, you may just not be cut out for working on your own bike.

Yeah, dot fluid sucks to deal with. But just try not to drink it and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/i/254104613751?...r=554530447048
    That gets you the the SRAM regular fittings and the "bleeding edge" fitting.
    https://holdfastcycling.com/shop/

That’s them, without the flea bay fees.

I think I’ll buy that. Not bezos bullshit. An independent biz I can buy direct. Riders helping riders. I like that. Thx.

They also have video links, and it seems sram is shite in terms of cycling the fluid back and forth
    Oh well. Wish I had shimano now, but it wasn’t my choice.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Screw a syringe into the lever. Screw a syringe onto the caliper. Push oil from one end to the other. Remove syringes, reinstall screws, go ride. If you have the new srams with bleeding edge fittings, it's even easier (no screws to reinstall at caliper end). If you can't handle it, you may just not be cut out for working on your own bike.

Yeah, dot fluid sucks to deal with. But just try not to drink it and you'll be fine.
    Good to know. I’ll try a quick one direction flush and see if that works.
    Thx
    . . .

Shimano brakes are the easiest bleed ever. Often all you need to do is take out the reservoir cap on the bars and let the bubbles out. Put a drop of fluid in the lever, pump brake, put a drop, pump brake, drop, pump, drop, pump... until no more bubbles come out. You can tap the reservoir a bit to help the bubbles along.

I hate scram. My new bike will have sram brakes, I'm going to swap them out for shimano.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

That's exactly how it works with Hayes, and I agree, it's stupid easy. I also don't get the hullabaloo about DOT fluid. Do people not keep shop towels and alcohol handy when working on bikes?

Since I stopped using Shimano brakes guess how many times I've had my lever randomly pull to the bar....

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    ^ This.

I'd add the suggestion to get the kit/do the Shimano yourself (easier process, applies to multiple bikes, get some experience, much safer fluid), but consider bringing the SRAM to a shop this go-round. Depending how long a bleed lasts for you, could be last time?

Because I was to chicken to deal with the wonky bleeding and storing DOT fluid alongside Shimano and Magura, I brought 2 different SRAM bikes to shops. My experience:
    - Elixirs - 3 different shops took bike in for full bleeds, and all 3 returned it unbled with the excuse that "it didn't need it". This includes the original shop that sold bike to me.
    - Guides (4-pot) - Took bike in for a single bleed, and they returned it to me w/new brake in the rear. Turns out what I thought was needing a bleed was an issue covered by warranty,

The first case for me was confirmation that they are a PITA. The second case was a nice surprise, but I've still not had a bike shop bleed SRAMs for me.

Good luck!
    I think sometimes people use 'bleed' as a blanket term for something wrong with their brakes when it's just as often; caliper not lined up, master cylinder swollen/damaged, brake hose damaged, pads worn out, rotor bent, etc.... A 'squishy' feeling brake or too much throw can be a number of things not just air in the system. Not saying those shops that didn't do it were right (plenty of lazy unprofessional shops out there) but that's my experience.
    Last edited by kevin267; 10-19-2020 at 10:20 AM.

It was quite a few years back but I have seen the use of drug store mineral oil screw with Shimano brake performance, I think the lever was slow to return
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Since I stopped using Shimano brakes guess how many times I've had my lever randomly pull to the bar....
    You've gotta admit though, it does make things exciting.

Made things exciting for me on Tuesday when I grabbed a fist full of front brake that didn’t exist on a downhill left turn with Shimano XTs. Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I think sometimes people use 'bleed' as a blanket term for something wrong with their brakes when it's just as often; caliper not lined up, master cylinder swollen/damaged, brake hose damaged, pads worn out, rotor bent, etc.... A 'squishy' feeling brake or too much throw can be a number of things not just air in the system. Not saying those shops that didn't do it were right (plenty of lazy unprofessional shops out there) but that's my experience.
    Thanks. Yeah, agree an issue w/brakes could be any number of things. My Guides were this case -> would alternate bottoming out w/locking up.

In the case of my Elixirs, they worked (and still do!) awesome, I just wanted to get the fluid changed. 3 shops took them in to do so, 3 shops didn't find it worth doing. I assumed complexity over lazyness, but it is a weird coincidence regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

In the case of my Elixirs, they worked (and still do!) awesome, I just wanted to get the fluid changed. 3 shops took them in to do so, 3 shops didn't find it worth doing. I assumed complexity over lazyness, but it is a weird coincidence regardless.
    Elixirs aren't bad to bleed. A little fussier to get all the air out than the newer sram's, but it's the same basic process. Attach a syringe at the lever, syringe at the caliper, push oil from one end to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Made things exciting for me on Tuesday when I grabbed a fist full of front brake that didn’t exist on a downhill left turn with Shimano XTs. Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I now have about 1800 miles on XT brakes and never had an issue. I don't dispute that it happens, I just don't get how there can be so much variability in that system that Shiman hasn't figured out a way to fix it...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

If any Shimano lovers want a pair of brand new SLX 4-piston take-offs I'll have a pair for sale soon. Rotors too if interested. Price TBD.

Might take you up on that. My dad just got an ebike - before this generates its own controversy, he's 68, was riding a hardtail 26er in the French Alps until a couple weeks ago to the tune of 1500 miles per season, and gives no fucks about what any of you twats have to say about it - which came with the lowest grade of Shimano's entry-level shit brakes. Given that he's old and brittle and the bike weighs a million pounds I told him that I'd be upgrading his brakes ASAP. Lemme check on compatibility, I'm sure Shimano designed them so that I'd have to replace the line and lever along with the caliper and crusty rotor.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I would be asking how much money there is to inherit ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would be asking how much money there is to inherit ?
    Very little, that's why I'd prefer to upgrade the brakes and enjoy his company for a few more years, even if these days it's 100% via Zoom call .
    Plus my sister is smarter than I am and just had a kid, the few $$ that are floating about will definitely go her way.

The Forest Service in France doesn't pay much more than in the US and he managed to stay true to his dirtbag roots and work as a liftie in the winter until he retired.

Got the holdfast kit.
    Thx for the suggestion.

Sram wasn’t that bad. Yeah it’s more toxic and nasty, but not the end of the world.
    And the back and forth flush was kinda satisfying.

Fucked up the second bleed by not backing off the adjustment screw. But hooked up the top syringe and then rolled the adjustment knob, to top off, and brakes are sweet with a bit more fluid added to fix my mistake.
    . . .