Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Million Dollar Idea. What’s next?

I have an idea for an invention.

Obviously, I won’t talk about what it is, but:

-It’s something that I can’t believe doesn’t already exist.

-would be easy to print prototypes. It would be a simple plastic design

-would be easy to produce on a large scale. Same reasons.

-would be affordable to purchase and the market that’s it’s in is huge and not affected by our current Covid-recession. (In fact, is still a booming industry and no it’s not ski or bike related)

So what’s next? Googling has shown me that I cannot find this product. If I could, I’d buy one. And many of you may too.

I’d guess I need to hire a parent attorney? Also, draw up an NDA so I can start talking to friends with 3D printers (and CAD skills) about prototype printing? Then after I check those boxes I look for investors?

I’m sure there’s a bunch of steps I’m missing.

Lemme guess... It's something you put in your butt, isn't it?

More likely the garden.... that grows things to go in your butt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"parent attorney"???

You mean to say patent attorney?

You can 3D print butt plugs already.

I already PM’d rontele

And the sky is the limit for what you can shove up your ass.

So while anal-insertion is not the intended use, no one would stop you.

Live your dream.

Patent attorneys are expensive. And it's early to spend much money. You can search the Patent Office records online: https://www.uspto.gov/patents-applic...search-patents

so do that first. If you don't see anything there are companies that do patent searches so you could also hire one of them to do a thorough search before you hire an attorney. I used to work for this one a long time ago: https://www.trademarkinfo.com/patent-services/

they were good back then but I have no idea about now.

If the searches come back good you can file a patent application yourself. It's complicated and you'll fuck it up but that's okay because as soon as you file you're legally allowed to put "patent pending" on the product, which offers you a lot of protections.

Once that's done you can mess around finding an attorney and doing NDA's and whatnot. But start with making sure you're not wasting your time and money and by taking advantage of the protections that exist.

If the market is as you describe, be prepared to have your lunch eaten by Chinese factories, who have lower production costs than you and probably don't give a shit if you have a patent. I would say from a business perspective it's important to build a brand immediately and set yourself up as the gold standard for the 3d-printed butt plug market; probably easier to protect a trademark than a widget patent.

Name:  19e22c21db84cfc80fdb4621b2e5e7f5.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  11.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I have an idea for an invention.
    Wheeeeee!!!!!

-It’s something that I can’t believe doesn’t already exist.
    But has it been described (in writing, on Youtube, during a evangelical broadcast, etc.) in any way, shape form, or function? If yes, your putative patent position may be irreparably weakened.

-would be easy to print prototypes. It would be a simple plastic design

-would be easy to produce on a large scale. Same reasons.
    You don't know what you don't know.

-would be affordable to purchase and the market that’s it’s in is huge and not affected by our current Covid-recession.
    Yeah, but does anyone WANT to use / buy it?

So what’s next?
    Well, what are you contemplating, exactly? Do a start-up? License to a company with three-D printing infrastructure and at least some semblance of curiosity in this hudge market? Make the product, stockpile in your garage and sell on E-Bay as an individual? If start-up, figure out exactly who the market is and then start doing research.- you're gonna need to convince investors that some people will buy this. Develop a business model. Make assumptions (on your business model, the market, costs, supply, shipping, investment capital, potential competitors, etc.) and test those assumptions rigorously. Be prepared to revise and go through multiple iterations of your business model. At some point you ought to be able to figure out how many of your gadgets you'll be able to sell, at least initially and what kind of profit you'll actually realize. Don't waste time with patent counsel until you're convinced that you're on to something.

I’m sure there’s a bunch of steps I’m missing.
    If you're interested in forming a start-up company, look up "Lean Start Up" and become familiar with the principles relating to that concept. It'll be instructive.

Being at the beginning of something new like this so so much fucking fun! But it's a lot of work, and most enterprises will fail or not be worth pursuing in the first place once the requisite market research is performed.

Good luck!!!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

If it really is a good idea and doesnt exist, I would prototype one, test it out, test it again, document, do what iceman said by searching for like patents, steal a patent app template (or patent one so no one steals it) and file yourself because now you have tolled protection while you make your next moves and unfuck it up, if you do hire someone to help, save money and hire a patent agent instead of an attorney, decide if you want to run a company or make money and if it is the latter, scour your contacts and get an intro at a larger company that would normally carry it but already has manufacturing, logistics, etc taken care of and pitch a licensing deal along with an NDA (they will probably tell you to get stuffed on the NDA because you have brought a piece of paper and no value to the table yet) so you dont have to do shit and then hope they dont steal your idea themselves and, as said before, if you want to make and sell this yourself and it really is a "million dollar idea," create a market presence as fast and as prominently as possible because you will get knocked off (chinese manufacturer that I was using literally just kept my product mold and told me come to Guangzhou myself to try to get it back) no doubt which means before you hit the market you need to have your shit together to scale fast but you probably cant get placement where you want it unless/until you demonstrate you are selling so its a catch 22.

SHARK TANK

kickstarter.com

An R&D guy I worked with for years became a successful patent attorney based in SoCal. He’s very low bullshit, would tell you the real situation I’m sure. Dunno his experience in high tech buttplugz. Lemme know if you want contact info.

Do not underestimate how quickly a Far East facility can rip off your design. One of my clients had their product (3D Printer) reverse engineered and in production in <3 months. Plastics are childs play.
    There is a right way to manufacture overseas, but it usually takes a big check and/or your own people on site.
    Keep it in "stealth mode", and domestic, for as long as you can.

Million dollar ideas are a dime a dozen.

You only ever see cheez doodles. Where’s the ranch doodle? Sour cream and onion doodle? Crab doodle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	910bENXjxLL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	344014

Textured sides makes them easier to grip. What a great feature!

I’m still fuming that Hostess didn’t pick up my foot long Twinkie idea - The Twinker.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Patent attorneys are expensive. And it's early to spend much money. You can search the Patent Office records online: https://www.uspto.gov/patents-applic...search-patents

so do that first. If you don't see anything there are companies that do patent searches so you could also hire one of them to do a thorough search before you hire an attorney. I used to work for this one a long time ago: https://www.trademarkinfo.com/patent-services/

If the searches come back good you can file a patent application yourself. It's complicated and you'll fuck it up but that's okay because as soon as you file you're legally allowed to put "patent pending" on the product, which offers you a lot of protections.

Once that's done you can mess around finding an attorney and doing NDA's and whatnot. But start with making sure you're not wasting your time and money and by taking advantage of the protections that exist.
    I wrote 3 patents and co authored 7 more. I could fill a school bus with people that shafted me, maybe 4 school busses.

Note, 1 crappy couch patent nobody used got a sweet bed patent I had get denied. So much for my bed sized butt plug patent.

Thanks to (most of) you guys. Really great information to get started. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Textured sides makes them easier to grip. What a great feature!
    The butt plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

I spent a couple hours today searching through the uspto website you referenced. I can’t find anything that is it, which is exciting.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums