Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warped tire (not wheel)

I guess I didn't know there was a proper and improper way to store bike tires for the season... I hung my studded fat bike tires up on hooks on the wall in spring and now they are quite warped once installed on the rim. The rim is true.

I actually can't even get the bead to seat at slightly higher than max PSI and one of the wobbles is in that area but there appears to be another wobble on that tire even where the bead is seated properly.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

And while we're at it, how should I be storing my summers until next season?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Considering plenty of tires come packaged all folded up, I don't think your storage situation had anything to do with it. I've stored used tires folded, hung, and crumpled in a corner. Never had a problem reinstalling any of them.

Which leads me to believe that maybe your tires are just kinda crappy? Or maybe it's a fat bike thing?

Soapy water and keep adding air slowly past the max... I mean its just a recommendatoin. If its still wobbly after you get it to seat then either ride or replace... May not feel it at 7 PSI?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Tire probably isn't as seated as you think it is. Well, you said it's not, so I'll take your word that it isn't. So of course there's a wobble.
    You can go over max psi (no idea how much on fat tires). Do it a few times, and bounce it around. If that doesn't pop the bead into place, there is such a thing as a tire boot, but for a big fatty, you'd probably have to improvise one. Some kind of large clamp and you can work that bitch into seating.
    And also, don't think I've ever seen a tire not have a hop in it, so don't drive yourself too crazy.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Good info... thanks all.

Tires are not cheap but not top end... vee avalanche xl and I added studs.

They certainly didn't have a wobble in them last year... an they self steer a lot at low psi so I think I'd notice this huge wobble.

I will try to over-pressure to seat them and if that doesn't work I'll just ride them and see how it feels.

Incidentally I did try spraying some soapy water at the bead after deflating and no luck up to 32 psi (max 30 recommended).

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

Incidentally I did try spraying some soapy water at the bead after deflating and no luck up to 32 psi (max 30 recommended).

That's the right plan, do that until you hear those ping noises that make you flinch. You can also push radially at the "down" spot with your thumbs, to help it go. Look at the line at the rim/bead interface all the way around and you'll see where it's tucked in, you want to kinda pull that bit out by rolling it a little w the thumbs. If 30 is the max I'd go to 50, easy.

^^^ ok.... thanks.

Sometimes just riding them a bit will help things seat too.

also warming them up will help to get the rubber soft and stretch

plus higher pressure

plus a ride

So more soapy water and going up to 45 psi and the bead set... but there's still 1 wobbly spot and it's not even where the bead wasn't setting before. Like maybe almost 1cm wobble.

It's 8c in my garage where the bike is and -10c outside but the wobble no longer seems overtly dangerous so I'll take it for a ride today.

If the wobble isn't gone maybe I'll bring it in the house for the night and see if the warmth help it.

Especially on a fat bike, I'd be a little surprised if the wobble was noticeable, except for maybe at higher speeds on pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    except for maybe at higher speeds on pavement.
    Which is were Fat Bikes excell!!!
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Ok either my estimate was way off or the wobble has reduced with some riding... it's about 0.5cm.

I didn't notice it, even going fast on pavement... I tried to ride trails all the way and avoid pavement on this ride but this pub doesn't have "trail access".

Go sports and sunday day drunk!

Ok I do notice it a little bit on pavement but who cares.

Thanks for the help to get the tire seated.

I've had a small wobble in my tire all summer with no issues. Once it's seated right a small wobble is ok from what I can tell. My bike tech buddy looked at it for me and wasn't concerned. Have about 1500 miles on them since then. He also said you can go up to about 25% above max PSI to seat a tough tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    He also said you can go up to about 25% above max PSI to seat a tough tire.
    Wear ear protection unless you enjoy hearing "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

For the rest of your life...

I had hearing and eye protection on when I inflated to 50% over max pressure!

I like to put the wheel outside and snake the pump hose through the barely open door so I can stand inside. Quieter, safer, and my clothes stay dry.

I like to put the wheel outside and snake the pump hose through the barely open door so I can stand inside. Quieter, safer, and my clothes stay dry.
    Lol!!!

pussy

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    pussy
    I only use that technique with terrenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Wear ear protection unless you enjoy hearing "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I think my tinnitus has gone away from a tubeless mount gone wrong. However my dog still gives me a serious side eye and gets up and leaves the garage every time I pull out the bike pump. I'm now the idiot in my driveway furiously pumping a floor pump with ear muffs and safety glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I think my tinnitus has gone away from a tubeless mount gone wrong. However my dog still gives me a serious side eye and gets up and leaves the garage every time I pull out the bike pump. I'm now the idiot in my driveway furiously pumping a floor pump with ear muffs and safety glasses on.
    Lol... this thread is providing more lolz than anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Sorry what? I’m gonna need you to speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Sorry what? I’m gonna need you to speak up.
    He typed it in all caps. That's as loud as it gets.