Page 129 of 182 FirstFirst ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 4533
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I brought my kids a few times towards the end, when it was called Tuxedo Ridge. They did a lot of business there- ought not to have closed
    I raced Sectionals at Sterling Forest in ‘86. Must not have taken much to make Sectionals back then, ‘cause I sucked something awful in the gates. That’s where my brother tore his ACL racing the year after. I think I recall it being nicer than Big Birch (now Thunder Ridge)!

Hidden Valley anyone? Went through a few iterations and is now ski/snow introduction to disadvantage children culled from urban public school systems.

A personal friend is the director - doing good things

That’s great news! Was wondering what that was all about - may look into that further.

My parents were ski patrol at snow bowl and went to hidden valley when the bowl closed.
    Believe it was in the initial years as I recall riding home from a refresher night with a blank trail map and instructions to come up with trail names!

Breakneck boulevard.

We raced a bunch over there in high school and college as well.

Any beta on Mansfield backcountry? Wondering if any of the chutes (hourglass / profanity) have filled / softened after those NW wind and recent refreshers. My buddy at Jay said winds had scoured most of the groomers/exposed terrain.
    I was thinking about getting up on the Stowe side (just gotta be going by 7 am right?) but would be curious if anyone has recent condition reports from the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by gerritkwood View Post
    My buddy at Jay said winds had scoured most of the groomers/exposed terrain.
    you don’t say!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Pipeline got hit hard sure same up north.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Should we start a separate thread to regale each other with our exploits at Mount Southington, Powder Ridge and Yawgoo Valley????

Maybe the soup thread has room?

Warm front in route lends to the retoni of spring time conditions... until the ides of wintery (moon) return.

feel free to regale us with the serendipity it was to hold the hill at Yawgoo Valley
    Last edited by Gepeto; 03-05-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Any beta on Mansfield backcountry? Wondering if any of the chutes (hourglass / profanity) have filled / softened after those NW wind and recent refreshers. My buddy at Jay said winds had scoured most of the groomers/exposed terrain.
    I was thinking about getting up on the Stowe side (just gotta be going by 7 am right?) but would be curious if anyone has recent condition reports from the other side.
    No idea about the chutes, but what I’ve noticed the wind has been crazy the last 3-4 days. I have an old temp gauge that hangs on my window in a somewhat sheltered spot. The gauge has never moved by wind alone, twice this week it has been blown flat to the window and then blown the opposite way. So to answer your question, you’ll never know unless you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	307F5F2D-90F8-4AD5-98C6-BC37ACF55BF5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	366047

wow, so folks here - who can still walk, let alone ski - have ridden these?? (lookin' at you gepeto) wow.

a neighbor threw these to the curb years back.
    at one point imagined mounting 'em up with some sollies and *really* putting my knees through the grinder.

just couldn't find any literature on proper mounting point so bailed
    Last edited by buckethead; 03-05-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Yeah from the reports I've been able to gather I'm realizing this idea of wind sheltered spots above treeline on the leeward side might be wishful thinking. And even if it has deposited snow there, from what I'm hearing it's either dust or crust or could be slabby and might be sketchy on exposed terrain. Soo ... I think I'll hold off on those Mansfield plans for now and play around in some lower angle woods instead near Bolton.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    First place I ever smoked weed was at Otis Ridge in western Mass. I loved skiing before then, but after that day it was all I could think of. I was 14.
    Not long after, the bus came by and you got on...

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	307F5F2D-90F8-4AD5-98C6-BC37ACF55BF5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	366047

wow, so folks here - who can still walk, let alone ski - have ridden these??
    Totally... the rentals branding was a tri-colored rooster, but not rossi - Bavarian? Painted and lacquered topside and center channel the length of the wood base.

The keepers - yep. Clipped to your first or second buckle and laces before ladder buckles came on leather boots. They progressed to loosely noosed around the back spring (if you were cool or the hole on the lever if you weren't) and clipped around your boot cuff under your tight stretch pants. Outside if you weren't hip.

Untold damage did occur (if you were lucky enough to have a binding release) as you were struck or landed on your own skis tethered to you while star fishing down a slope.

Oh Yeah... v1 of an afd too

Coulda used a little more delta than provided by stock Cubco’s

eta; camber you say? Changed depending on where you stored them. Bending the ski was purely optional.
    Last edited by Gepeto; 03-05-2021 at 11:00 PM.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    my flow improved greatly with the upgrade to cubcos and sintered bases...
    This did not go unrecognized
    ​I am not in your hurry

Yeah from the reports I've been able to gather I'm realizing this idea of wind sheltered spots above treeline on the leeward side might be wishful thinking. And even if it has deposited snow there, from what I'm hearing it's either dust or crust or could be slabby and might be sketchy on exposed terrain. Soo ... I think I'll hold off on those Mansfield plans for now and play around in some lower angle woods instead near Bolton.
    Report back please. Might be up there next weekend
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Maybe the soup thread has room?

You're pushing your luck, little man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Not long after, the bus came by and you got on...
    My first show was four years later!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Report back please. Might be up there next weekend
    Best skiing on the Underhill side this am was below CCC road. Above was drifts and crust, ridgeline was a crusty skating rink. Low angle tight woods were fun with 2-4” of fluff at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Any of you Jersey guys know Greg and Mark Kosa? They grew up back there and moved west for several or more seasons. Lost touch with them years ago. Solid guys and rippin skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Best skiing on the Underhill side this am was below CCC road. Above was drifts and crust, ridgeline was a crusty skating rink. Low angle tight woods were fun with 2-4” of fluff at best.

Ended up going to Underhill too (Tear Drop) and this pretty much sums it up pretty well. Low angle woods are probably the place to be until we get a refresher.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Any of you Jersey guys know Greg and Mark Kosa? They grew up back there and moved west for several or more seasons. Lost touch with them years ago. Solid guys and rippin skiers.
    left jersey skiing in 70 for vt... never to return until now

que modeling at the crick/gg today.
    9.7/10
    ​I am not in your hurry

Skiing is fun, and it has really shaped my life. Never thought I’d find someone that would put up with my shit. Or my sunrise missions.

nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post

We were a ridge over and found the best snow was above 2000’ although it too was variable. Below there was 3” of dust on semi-breakable crust that required some survival skills to get through.

what'd she say?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi