Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4533
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    For confirmation I asked a friend who is on the Tucks ski patrol (although he happened to leave early in the morning that day before the recent incident):
    "Toboggans/litters are in the base of the Bowl in the rescue cache (Connection Cache [edit: with the memorial plaque for Bill Kling) as well as the cache at Hermit Lake. There are also litters at the Dow Cache in Huntington Ravine as well as Harvard Cabin."

I remember reading about the wheeled litter being used to transport patients down from Hermit Lake in prior incidents.
    From the Bowl to the Hermit Lake though, that wouldn't do any good.
    My friend thought the wheeled litter is obsolete now, but if it were still around, it would be stored in the Hermit Lake area.
    Is there a litter in the one at the bottom of GOS? It is also a memorial. All I remember is the guy had a PhD.

There is a volunteer patrol I see often at hojo, older gentleman and his red jacket is light pink at this point. I kind of want to rally the troops to get him a new jacket. But his jacket is so cool as is. I remember my teenage son looking at it and I told him that jacket is probably older than you are, and could tell some awesome stories.

I feel like new jackets, despite their cost, do not hold up like that. But they are lighter and feel nice.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Unless it was moved in the last few years, yes there is a sled etc. just down from the opening area of GOS. Far enough to be safe from any avalanche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summer time and the living is easy. Secret beach with ship rock just a short paddle around the corner. Watched a mink go back and forth through the wrackweed with fish at low tide

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF136049-3595-4680-9382-9DB17CC336AD.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	800.7 KB 
ID:	376651

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Summer time and the living is easy.
    Indeed it is, especially when you can get away to a quiet beach on the coast. Wicked scorcher yesterday! Almost hot enough to jump in that water. Almost

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Summer time and the living is easy. Secret beach with ship rock just a short paddle around the corner. Watched a mink go back and forth through the wrackweed with fish at low tide

Name:	CF136049-3595-4680-9382-9DB17CC336AD.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	800.7 KB 
ID:	376651
    Is that Danforth Cove or one of the other pocket beaches on the ship channel? Used to live in that neighborhood.

Not Danforth but right close by. Walk the canoe to Willard then there are several to choose from that the houses above lack access to. Good neighborhood but changing as home prices skyrocket

Morning rehab session for the abdomen. Freshwater felt so good. Getting ready for some paddling when the tide levels come around to surf the local tide rip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More mud and rock people who don't own bikes. I blame Zuckerberg.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/190966...1466109790584/

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Morning rehab session for the abdomen. Freshwater felt so good. Getting ready for some paddling when the tide levels come around to surf the local tide rip.
    Keep that head down your head should be the last thing out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Is there a litter in the one at the bottom of GOS? It is also a memorial. All I remember is the guy had a PhD.

There is a volunteer patrol I see often at hojo, older gentleman and his red jacket is light pink at this point. I kind of want to rally the troops to get him a new jacket. But his jacket is so cool as is. I remember my teenage son looking at it and I told him that jacket is probably older than you are, and could tell some awesome stories.

I feel like new jackets, despite their cost, do not hold up like that. But they are lighter and feel nice.
    That rescue cache came in handy this spring:
    https://mountwashingtonavalanchecent...end-incidents/
    Afterwards, MWAC was calling for volunteers to get it back up there.

PhD was in physics from Colorado State University (after an undergrad degree in the same from Case Western Reserve University).
    I've often thought about that too. Maybe just b/c my father had a PhD yet I left my PhD program after a year to get a master's degree instead.
    But still just kind of sticks out there on the plaque.
    On his grave also:

Name:  1996-03-24 Todd Crumbaker grave, front.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  327.7 KB

His touring partner (whose name is also on the rescue cache) was a writer and editor in the publications department where I got my master's degree (Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government):

Name:  1996-03-24 John Wald.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  10.8 KB

Here's the incident:

https://www.avalanche-center.org/Inc...wHampshire.txt

I'll have to ask my friend on the patrol who has such an old jacket!
    (If it's the legendary Roger Damon, then given that he was teaching some of the first public avy courses in the country back in the 1960s, that jacket could be older than most of the people on this thread.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Unless it was moved in the last few years, yes there is a sled etc. just down from the opening area of GOS. Far enough to be safe from any avalanche.
    Minor point, but the higher of the two GoSST rescue caches is *after* you've already passed through two potentially deadly runouts.

GoS #2 runout busted through the ski trail before my time. Judging by the tree height differential, maybe 40 yrs ago?

GoS #3 runout busted through the ski trail in 2008. That season, even on April 19, perhaps a month or two after the avalanche ran so big, smelled like a lumber yard down there, the snapped mature trees were so extensive.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Thanks for that. I am clearly reminded that

A. I’m old and getting more forgetful of details.

B. I’m old and it’s been a long time since I’ve been up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!

Boing!

“Bringing FIS Alpine World Cup racing back to Killington Resort for the 2021/22 Olympic season is an incredible opportunity for the resort and the surrounding community. More than just world-class racing and a great music line-up, spectators will enjoy a full weekend of festivities,” says Mike Solimano, president and general manager of Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. “Come fall, we’ll utilize every opportunity to build a world-class race venue on Superstar with Killington’s state-of-the-art snowmaking system – positioning us to offer the longest season in the East.”
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Summer is in full swing. Hopefully I can get a beach at some point.
    Early morning yesterday:
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Summer is in full swing. Hopefully I can get a beach at some point.
    Early morning yesterday:
    Great shot!
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    You live in Mordor?!

And met a girl so fair
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Fast ladies are coming back to Killington!
    Hot Jersey girls?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

^They never left.

East Coast Roll Call #??? 20-21 Covid closures and hard core touring! Be Fit or Sit

Name:	IMG_2633.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	377109

jay and vicinity in the background and dressed for summer

Beauty shot of some nice east coast granite! whats the route?

Camay on Mont Pinacle. Old school 5.6, super fun.

Just a reminder as those dog days of summer continue - careful swimming near or in Huntington Gorge!