Page 174 of 182 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 4533
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Glad to see Miami is 75-124% of normal.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Cat chopping with great results and leaves dropping along with snow on George. It's coming soon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 7.49.35 AM.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	578.4 KB 
ID:	387462
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Looking for recs for an AIARE 1 class in New England. My brother recommended IME (he took their class 10 years ago) and Mark Synott who he claims to know; both are in the MTW Valley. Any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    It's gunna piss hot rain all Winter.
    Yep!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Looking for recs for an AIARE 1 class in New England. My brother recommended IME (he took their class 10 years ago) and Mark Synott who he claims to know; both are in the MTW Valley. Any others?
    Marc Chauvin http://www.chauvinguides.com/avalanche-programs-2021/

Used to run into him frequently, super knowledgeable about MWV and avalanche education.

Marc Chauvin is old school and super knowledgable about the area.
    Been years since I took a class, could join you as a refresher.

NE mountaineering was good. I learned a ton, had fun, did lots of great skiing, met cool people.
    You can sleep in their bunkhouse if you are not close enough to day trip. Well I did that but it was pre covid.
    I would really recommend taking the class in the white mountains where snow slides on a regular basis.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Been years since I took a class, could join you as a refresher.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    +1
    +2

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

+3
    always forward but never straight

+5. We're doing the Fibonacci sequence right?

Chauvin was great. Jonathan S. Also teaches and would be an excellent resource IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents is that if you have a group of like minded folks that already took the course and want a refresher, just hire a guide for a day or two and communicate what you want, where you feel you have gaps in knowledge and confidence. The full 3 day would be have lots of overlap with your existing general knowledge of stuff like what to pack when going into the Backcountry.
    If you took the class a long time ago there is some really useful new stuff about using online tools to plan a safe trip like caltopo.
    Look how many people you have and what it costs for AIARE 1 per person. They usually do 8:1 student teacher ratio.
    Just need concensus on dates which seems like the real challenge.
    Personally I would be interested in learning about rappelling into a chute or other terrain on skis. The how when and why. Also some basic ice climbing. This is ultimately how to go up and over and then back down an ice bulge safely. That knowledge can open some terrain.
    If you go with the specific guide and want to get after it, consider Dave Lottman at NE mountaineering.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Alpenglow Adventures normally runs one as well. They run them at various locations (last year was at Saddleback).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2665.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	387707
    Greens from green.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    My 2 cents is that if you have a group of like minded folks that already took the course and want a refresher, just hire a guide for a day or two and communicate what you want, where you feel you have gaps in knowledge and confidence. The full 3 day would be have lots of overlap with your existing general knowledge of stuff like what to pack when going into the Backcountry.
    The other major advantage with this approach is that your field days will far more productive, covering far more terrain, than you would in a public course.
    Even if you think that your touring pace is far below average, a public course is almost certain to have another student whose pace is far slower than yours.
    And then a group of ~8 students will inevitably have a pace even slower than the slowest student's individual pace.

If you can get merely two other people, then your per-person cost won't be much higher than for a public course.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

And while we're talking about the upcoming season:

1. Isn't it time for a new 2021-22 thread? (I nominate "The Pandemic Might Not Be Over, But We're Over the Pandemic")

2. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get in touch with Geoff at Magic? I've been putting on the skimo race there since the 2008-09 season (well, except this past season, given that cross-state travel restrictions limited the schedule to Massachusetts, where we got super lucky with conditions), and I've been emailing him since the spring about this: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/p/co...magic-mtn.html ... phone message too, but I never hear anything back from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And while we're talking about the upcoming season:

1. Isn't it time for a new 2021-22 thread? (I nominate "The Pandemic Might Not Be Over, But We're Over the Pandemic")

2. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get in touch with Geoff at Magic? I've been putting on the skimo race there since the 2008-09 season (well, except this past season, given that cross-state travel restrictions limited the schedule to Massachusetts, where we got super lucky with conditions), and I've been emailing him since the spring about this: http://nerandorace.blogspot.com/p/co...magic-mtn.html ... phone message too, but I never hear anything back from him.
    Yo JS,
    I think we have 5 of us that want to do this (VT-F, Peruvian, Ticketchecker, Mtnbiker/boarder, and me). If I can herd all of the cats, would you be willing to teach us the course?

I'll likely see Geoff H this weekend; I'll ask him if he's seen your emails. He's been in Yurp visiting his son who is Special Forces and assigned in Germany.

New thread doesn't get started until the first measurable snowfall BoB.

But didn't this last snowfall count as measurable at ~0.01"?
    Okay, reading through some old ECRC first dates, those were some real snowfalls -- fun to look back on those turns of past Octobers!

TIA for following up w/ Geoff.

I'd love to deliver a course to you guys, but ... my schedule is just way to busy with organizing skimo races to commit to any field sessions dates.
    The race season might conclude in early March if the Sunday River race is discontinued and/or if the Inferno race repeats its new format of last yr (which I haven't been able to confirm w/ FOTR -- anyone have a magic decoder ring for reaching out to them?).
    But I probably won't know that for awhile. And the prime dates for booking field sessions with some other instructor/guide can disappear very quickly. (Avoid the temptation to schedule anything in December, given how long terrain can take to get filled in during many years, alas.)

One thing we could do is deliver a course that would comprise:
    1. The "remote learning" assignments on my website (some aspects of which are sorely in need of revision...), which are mainly old-fashioned reading & writing. (But don't worry mathphobes, almost no arithmetic!)
    2. In-person classroom discussion and exercises, which would be via Zoom instead these days.
    3. Rescue practice in the woods behind my house. (For those who scoff at rescue practice sans snow, although the three-dimension aspect of a burial is of course lacking, it's still very challenging.)

Jonathan if SR cancels March and you want to do a Maine race I can hook you up with Black in Maine

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Jonathan if SR cancels March and you want to do a Maine race I can hook you up with Black in Maine
    Thanks -- I'll email you about that now.
    (All the skimo racers who attended that first Black race were very positive about it.)

$400 for a quad pack to the Bush, on 'sale' now
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Last I heard, the FOTR plan is to do at least a few years of the new Inferno format. I haven’t heard anything from Jake to suggest otherwise but I can check soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Last I heard, the FOTR plan is to do at least a few years of the new Inferno format. I haven’t heard anything from Jake to suggest otherwise but I can check soon.
    That would be great if you could confirm the 2022 date, thanks!
    (I have to plan the skimo race schedule working backwards from the Inferno weekend, since it's very popular among skimo racers.)

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    A friend of mine is having a divorce sale but he’s a big dude so no deals for me. Maybe someone on here? I’ll be in VT this weekend for some brewfest so maybe save you some shipping too.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8588626713970/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."