Page 69 of 182 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 4533
    Quote Originally Posted by VT skier View Post
    Well, Jay Peak was a Zoo too. I was there, Saturday for an 8:30 start, parked in the 242 (first) lot. Lined up before the Jet started boarding, already crowds out to end of the corrals. Took one run, nice snow Montrealer then left edge Angels Wiggle.
    Lineup for chair was now snaking above the first lift tower ! Turns out the Bonnie chair wasn't running at all, so everyone was rushing over to the Jet.Attachment 356083

I went back to my car, grabbed pack and skins, and started climbing. No way I was going to stand in that line. Skinned up to Northway, then decided to ski over on Taxi and see if Bonnie chair was running yet. Bonnie chair still closed.
    Decided to bag it, head home, but now Ski Patrol were standing at Stateside base, with big banner, ropes and "Closed " sign blocking access back to Jet. I could see the chair was running, and boarding skiers. Some kind of accident?

"The Jet is at capacity" I was told by the Patrol. Capacity???
    Me: "I just want to get back to my car in the 242 lot"
    Patrol "How do we know your not going to ski" They thought about it for a moment, then said
    Patrol "You can walk along the access road , back to your car"
    Patrol "We will radio ahead (to the Jet) and make sure you don't try and ski." Don't try and ski?
    Remember, the Bonnie isn't running, and now they won't let skiers go over to the Jet from Stateside base either !

So I took my skis off, over my shoulder and walked to my car, back in the 242 lot. Drove home.
    Oh and they hassled me about not having the current uphill armband too. I had last years up hill/Skinning armband on my pack, and my current seasons pass.
    Well, so much for Jay being an oasis from crowding because the border is closed.

Complaining about liftlines on the Saturday of a Holiday week with limited terrain open and capacity/distancing restrictions in place is:

a) The definition of American level entitled

b) Par for the course on an internet forum

c) Shows a complete disconnect from cause and effect between Global warming, Pandemic fatigue, Calendar awareness, and Self realization of being part of the problem.

d) All of the above.

Bonus points for discussing Localism vs. Tourism comparing and contrasting Lift served access vs. Skintrack etiquette with regard to the impact of the local economy and best practice mask use.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Last edited by singlecross; 01-03-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Complaining about lifelines on the Saturday of a Holiday week with limited terrain open and capacity/distancing restrictions in place is:

c) Shows a complete disconnect from cause and effect between Global warming, Pandemic fatigue, Calendar awareness, and Self realization of being part of the problem.

d) All of the above.

Bonus points for discussing Localism vs. Tourism comparing and contrasting Lift served access vs. Skintrack etiquette with regard to the impact of the local economy and best practice mask use.

Happy New Year everyone!
    ^^
    bypassed much of that night-skiing a local hill.
    no crowds, man made terrain only, but lots of soft snow in spite of fast dropping temps. fun, worky turns all night.
    3.5 hrs of laps cooked legs to a satisfying crispness.
    looking forward to more of this cheap sat nite option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD611F40-D79E-4B47-A0D4-9709C8ACB7CC.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	356099

biggest gripe...had to walk a bit to find a tree not completely bathed in klieg lights. in lieu of porta john in the lot.

Complaining about liftlines on the Saturday of a Holiday week with limited terrain open and capacity/distancing restrictions in place is:

d) All of the above.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Early entry for POTY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d) All of the above.

Happy New Year everyone!
    VT Skier was the only person to “complain” about the crowd but had his touring kit ready with options to avoid them. His story is more about ski patrollers who didn’t seem to truly think through why they were saying no instead of listening to a pass holder’s concerns.

Back to actual skiing - Mrs P and I enjoyed the waterfront bike path this afternoon with 15k of nordorking.

Name:	Image1609706289.435461.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	356124

Name:	Image1609706369.813498.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	356126

East Coast Roll Call #??? 20-21 Covid closures and hard core touring! Be Fit or Sit

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    VT Skier was the only person to “complain” about the crowd but had his touring kit ready with options to avoid them. His story is more about ski patrollers who didn’t seem to truly think through why they were saying no instead of listening to a pass holder’s concerns.

Back to actual skiing - Mrs P and I enjoyed the waterfront bike path this afternoon with 15k of nordorking.

Name:	Image1609706289.435461.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	356124

Name:	Image1609706369.813498.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	356126
    Could u ski right up and into Foam?...for a coupla post nordic brews?

^^that is an awesome idea...
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

d) All of the above.

Happy New Year everyone!

I have to respectfully disagree; I’ve been to 5 mtns thus far this winter - all have been poorly attended & a clusterfuck, but the skiers- they are core AF, quite frankly only those of the legit “tribe” are skiing this season & supporting the sport. It’s a crying shame that they are not being rewarded for supporting their mtns, changing in their cars & putting up w the level of complete incompetence of the ski areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    ^^that is an awesome idea...
    If they/Foam take that idea and run with it...lol...I’d like to request a lifetime season pass to the ski in/through brewery....

East Coast Roll Call #??? 20-21 Covid closures and hard core touring! Be Fit or Sit

Well, Jay Peak was a Zoo too. I was there, Saturday for an 8:30 start, parked in the 242 (first) lot. Lined up before the Jet started boarding, already crowds out to end of the corrals. Took one run, nice snow Montrealer then left edge Angels Wiggle.
    Lineup for chair was now snaking above the first lift tower ! Turns out the Bonnie chair wasn't running at all, so everyone was rushing over to the Jet.Attachment 356083

I went back to my car, grabbed pack and skins, and started climbing. No way I was going to stand in that line. Skinned up to Northway, then decided to ski over on Taxi and see if Bonnie chair was running yet. Bonnie chair still closed.
    Decided to bag it, head home, but now Ski Patrol were standing at Stateside base, with big banner, ropes and "Closed " sign blocking access back to Jet. I could see the chair was running, and boarding skiers. Some kind of accident?

Me: "I just want to get back to my car in the 242 lot"
    Patrol "How do we know your not going to ski" They thought about it for a moment, then said
    Patrol "You can walk along the access road , back to your car"
    Patrol "We will radio ahead (to the Jet) and make sure you don't try and ski." Don't try and ski?
    Remember, the Bonnie isn't running, and now they won't let skiers go over to the Jet from Stateside base either !

So I took my skis off, over my shoulder and walked to my car, back in the 242 lot. Drove home.
    Oh and they hassled me about not having the current uphill armband too. I had last years up hill/Skinning armband on my pack, and my current seasons pass.
    This is some serious bullshit. You didn’t get the patrollers names did you? Capacity?? Man, that place used to have soul.

Also classic they can’t even get their second upper mountain lift spinning for the first decent storm. Not uncommon but still a downer. Their lifts are a constant problem. I am not going near that place until it is 100% open. Should be ok once they have the Flyer online and both stateside lifts are (hopefully) operational. Their Tram plan makes that almost useless.
    Uno mas

I hate lift lines in a normal season, so rarely ski weekends no matter what.

We had to limit ticket sales over this past weekend due to limited terrain. Hopefully we get past that soon although looking at the forecast it’s going to depend on our hosepower.

Our staff has been killing it, most people are happy. The ones who aren’t are going to have to adapt or realize this season isn’t for them. So agree with Irip that the tribe is showing up this year cuz we were jammed this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not to be an apologist for the ski areas, but operating this year has added several levels of challenge to an industry that was already marginal at herding cats (their own employees and guests alike) while turning a profit. Understanding that everyone is under duress, managing my expectations, and then acting with compassion towards each other is my hope for the new year.

Kumbaya

Not to be an apologist for the ski areas, but operating this year has added several levels of challenge to an industry that was already marginal at herding cats (their own employees and guests alike) while turning a profit. Understanding that everyone is under duress, managing my expectations, and then acting with compassion towards each other is my hope for the new year.
    Totally fair and if Jay was hit with a last minute red chair mechanical meltdown I am sure it was an unfortunate shit show to manage. But some smug patrollers not believing a pass holder is just trying to ski over to their car is the opposite of compassion. Basically calling VT a liar but who knows how much crap they’d been dealing w at that point (ski much easier than the walk imho but it is a short stroll). No arm band due to a list minute audible in the face of an unsuspecting shit show is a forgivable offense. Anyway, I am all for cutting the resorts some slack this year and happy with what I am able to get in. I have 7 days in so far + 4 with the kids and all have been sorta awesome despite the ups and down.
    Uno mas

Well, Jay Peak was a Zoo too. I was there, Saturday for an 8:30 start, parked in the 242 (first) lot. Lined up before the Jet started boarding, already crowds out to end of the corrals. Took one run, nice snow Montrealer then left edge Angels Wiggle. Lineup for chair was now snaking above the first lift tower ! Turns out the Bonnie chair wasn't running at all, so everyone was rushing over to the Jet. Ski Patrol were standing at Stateside base, with big banner, ropes and "Closed " sign blocking access back to Jet. I could see the chair was running, and boarding skiers. Some kind of accident?

Confirmed the Jet was a zoo in the morning. I was also in the line up for first chair, got some nice turns on the Jet and the top of Haynes. I was really surprised at how long they had the Bonnie on "wind hold" as well. My buddy texted me about briefly getting caught up in that crap with Patrol closing the link between Stateside & the Jet, but we talked to Ops very shortly after that and they were already allowing people back through again freely. Patrol dropped the rope on JFK off the Bonnie at about 1pm, and that 8" of fresh skied incredibly well; a classic east coast pow day albeit still slightly low tide in the woods.
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    If they/Foam take that idea and run with it...lol...I’d like to request a lifetime season pass to the ski in/through brewery....
    I would start xc skiing again and get the 2nd lifetime pass.

Cannon has been skiing well considering the snow, the 8" helped. vast majority of skiers (not all) are totally cool when I remind them to cover mouth AND nose. And when someone is a jerk about covering up they generally get a "oh come on" from other skiers.
    Lines were long for Cannon, maybe 5-10 minutes in the morning. But it flowed.
    Some next level tailgating! Full tiki bar.
    Lots of college pass kids, which I think is a good thing.
    Pretty constant stream of folks skinning up the groomer.
    Overall lots of smiles and I just love the stoke from people on rental gear who ski bell to bell on boiler plate having a blast. Long past when most pass holders have gone home.
    Happy new year.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

FWIW..... I’m trying to run a few camps at a couple mtns... (pls let me give you my $$$) and most have said ‘we’ll get back to you about hill space rentals in 2-3 days...,’ only to go AWOL. My take, the industry has too much bro science & not enough biz sense to understand that they are not meeting customer’s expectations this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Could u ski right up and into Foam?...for a coupla post nordic brews?
    I’ll have to check if the outdoor bar is open to ski right up to.

At the other end of town, one could also ski right up to the deck at Switchback.

Ye ‘ol wineskin and some endless wilderness I tells ya.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’ll have to check if the outdoor bar is open to ski right up to.

At the other end of town, one could also ski right up to the deck at Switchback.
    Yessss....now that’s a “bar tour”.....lol.

On a good snow day you could detour onto Pine street and hit Zero gravity & Citizen cider for the full tour.

Visited the Cat for New Years Eve in Woodstock

Name:	20201231_120319.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	356188

Dinner and a movie w/ a nice bottle of wine from my current remodel clients

Name:	20201231_235623.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1,017.0 KB 
ID:	356189

What's with Charlie Brown lol? "$5 at the Woodstock Farmers Market, I was afraid no one would but it and it would be in their lot Christmas morning." Awww

Name:	20210101_145019.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	863.0 KB 
ID:	356190

Fucking beautiful this morning.

Name:	20210103_200428.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1,003.8 KB 
ID:	356182

Summit says, Enjoy!

Name:	20210103_200621.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	356185

My Cat said "ski the BC's". Haven't been run over a belt in 180+- days so interesting on ice patches but perfect for sticks and grass.

Name:	20210103_200525.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	806.0 KB 
ID:	356186

Birdland "sticks" were fun as was the soft edge able non gun snow on other trails.

Name:  20210103_152217.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  435.1 KB

Longest wait yesterday was 15 minutes for HG early after it "broke down", then a max of around 12. People are stupid ,as usual, and jump in the line closest to their arrival point at the corral, always one lane or a side that is much shorter for those who look for it.

Quietest holiday period I have ever seen, not really that busy at all.

Tons of second homeowners around, day skiers and loathsome quad packers out of the picture. So maybe 50% of usual?

Very high mask compliance everywhere in the lines.

If we get some ULLR love I expect it will be a great year for skiing.

Happy New Year All! [even Benny]
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

On a good snow day you could detour onto Pine street and hit Zero gravity & Citizen cider for the full tour.
    Lmao..that’s what I was thinking too.....

I was at Jay too this weekend. The picture VT Skier posted showed the line at its very worst. We stuck around and in the end we never waited more than 15 minutes for the 1-2 hours that this was happening. When Bonnie finally opened, Jet lines vanished and you could ski straight on the lift. Soft snow was found all over the mountain, and I was surprised how much natural terrain came into play with these 8 inches (if you were willing to risk your skis). With the wind in the afternoon, there were free refills all over the mountain. I really enjoyed lapping Montrealer-Northway-Hell's Crossing off Jet. There was also a crew hucking backies under the Bonnie chairlift that was providing stoke for the people heading up.
    Lots of leftovers today as well. The winds had filled in Poma line perfectly and it was skiing like mid-winter with not a single rock sticking out. Inversion was looking pretty cool too (see pics below; no idea why the upload tool rotates them -.-).

I agree the wind hold on Bonnie was suspiciously long, and it sucks that ski patrol was so douchey but I really can't complain about my experience there. Imagine any other resort on a Saturday morning powder day during peak holiday season with just one triple chairlift open. I think we got off easy.

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	356224

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	356223

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	356222

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	356226
    Last edited by gerritkwood; 01-03-2021 at 10:38 PM. Reason: adding pics

Don't forget Queen City...outstanding non-IPAs at that joint.