Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Hey sorry to hear himavan. Heal fast man.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Since everyone is claiming 1st decents these days probably good time to post these. K-coutry front range. Staying away from the masses and shredding obscure 1st's. Slayed the dragon on Wedge today and thanks Crashidy for that 1st on Gap. Go get some!
    Attachment 372117Attachment 372118
    Sickter! Looks awesome! Great snow 2!

Shitty to hear about your leg Himavan! Heal up, my dads back skiing full time after some shoulder surgery at 60 so at the spry age of 46 you'll be recovered in no time ready for some double corks to send you into your 50's!

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Thanks Spooky. You still working at the Rundlestone? I stayed there a bunch this winter - asked one person for change and got the puzzled "you mean you want five pennies?" response. I felt silly.
    Yep, still there although we've had a change in ownership and I've changed roles a little. Haha, I wonder who you said that to? I don't think it was me although I could easily see myself giving a blank stare to that if I was in full on work mode - the barrage of strange guests and strange questions in this town can be distracting. I'm not sure if your injury will limit your trips to Banff but feel free to shoot me a PM for my work email address so I can make sure you get a maggot discount on future bookings.

That's my essential travel ticket. Write me a letter.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

How is the lake skiing the last couple of days?

Did this new snow ski like winter again or is it dust on crust?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

I'm hearing that afternoons are skiing well?

I'm in bike work mode

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I'm hearing that afternoons are skiing well?

I'm in bike work mode
    That's what I was thinking... wait till it warms up in the afternoon.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

As of today, depends where you go. Surprisingly good overall for the time of year. Lower frontside is spring. Alphabet gullies are shit. Don't bother. Paradise is decent, depending on aspect. ER 6 and Swede's were skiing the best on the backside. I also did a couple west bowl proper to enchanted forest laps, and it was way better than I expected. When things get warm and sunny, I wouldn't do it.

Still winter, and pretty damn good in the Kananaskis alpine this weekend. Enough to convince me that my winter isn't quite over yet. On the other hand hwy 742 is right fucked in many sections, but the good news is that it keeps the hoards away!

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Still winter, and pretty damn good in the Kananaskis alpine this weekend!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E3760.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	951.1 KB 
ID:	372743

Concur!

Concur!
    Righteous!

Has anyone been to Sunshine lately? How are the conditions? I am thinking of heading out later this week!

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    Has anyone been to Sunshine lately? How are the conditions? I am thinking of heading out later this week!
    I have not been out. watch the web cams/temps and get up just as it thaws.

Was out last saturday got up around 1.30/2pm - hot and slushy up top, grippy in patches but nothing terrible, just some good fun spring skiing off the divide and through the park. As mntlion said, give it a chance to soften, have low expectations and its a good time.

Concur!
    yeeww nice
    27° 18°

This was interesting. Skied Stanley a long time ago

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5322...1063358302830/

Concur!
    Great shot!

Can’t read link as I don’t Facebook but take it it’s this incident On Stanley last Saturday?

https://avalanche.ca/?panel=mountain...a-7022a567c071

Lots of people still out skiing. Seems lots more people hitting classic descents at this point Conditions And stability have been holding on Extremly well this Late season. We’ve been putting lines down peaks every weekend French,Hector Etc. Looking for a classic this weekend. Conditions/high pressure, freeze all aligning! Imagine we will see a few parties out there.

Can’t read link as I don’t Facebook but take it it’s this incident On Stanley last Saturday?

https://avalanche.ca/?panel=mountain...a-7022a567c071

Lots of people still out skiing. Seems lots more people hitting classic descents at this point Conditions And stability have been holding on Extremly well this Late season. We’ve been putting lines down peaks every weekend French,Hector Etc. Looking for a classic this weekend. Conditions/high pressure, freeze all aligning! Imagine we will see a few parties out there.
    Holy shit thats a lot of people up there. Sucks that the guy skied over top of them like that. Maybe time was an issue, idk. That place sure has become popular.
    Hope you post more of those pics. French , hector and a possible classic sounds like a great spring from a mtbers perspective. Curious to see what you get up too and what im missing

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

That forum really highlights to me that there is a class of backcountry user (not inexperienced either) that thrives on classic guidebook objectives no matter how many people beat them to it. Seems to be the same crowd that posts about it that night. I suppose I'm lucky that I go backcountry for the freshies and have never once felt a desire to tail others up a line.

What stood out for me was that one group of seven! planned on gangbanging this line and then when they encountered lots of others with the identical plan, nobody considered changing objectives to avoid the group clusterfuck that occurred. I love skiing with friends but once your group gets larger than 3 or 4, the group dynamics become increasingly challenging to manage safely. Its good to see so many going after it but FFS I hope things settle down next year and people can spread out.

Edit i see dirts post
    Last edited by crashidy; 05-28-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    What stood out for me was that one group of seven! planned on gangbanging this line and then when they encountered lots of others with the identical plan, nobody considered changing objectives to avoid the group clusterfuck that occurred. I love skiing with friends but once your group gets larger than 3 or 4, the group dynamics become increasingly challenging to manage safely. Its good to see so many going after it but FFS I hope things settle down next year and people can spread out.
    Yeah, ears perked up when I read that one of the groups involved was a group of 7 that split up but still .. err.. gangbanged the same line (great term, btw)

Concur!
    Great pic, beauty line!

As to the recent incident on Stanley in general
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Yeah, ears perked up when I read that one of the groups involved was a group of 7 that split up but still .. err.. gangbanged the same line (great term, btw)
    The experienced people would say that there's lots to be learned from this incident. They would also say that ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. I would agree with that.