Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Finally, a well timed midweek vacation day tomorrow. Thinking SSV. Should I be bringing my rock skis or are we past that point?

Edit: 24cm at LL? Really?

SSV still had plenty of rocks Friday 12/4 when I was there. Got a free base grind on the ski out courtesy of the gravel/snow mix...

Can confirm marmot skied just fine this morning with the new 16 - a little more dense snow than we’re accustomed to but overall really fun morning up with some face shot stashes.

Fresh batch of restrictions inbound for Alberta...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7508633/k...-announcement/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    Can confirm marmot skied just fine this morning with the new 16 - a little more dense snow than we’re accustomed to but overall really fun morning up with some face shot stashes.
    How did Eagle East look? Good snow coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by splitlit View Post
    Finally, a well timed midweek vacation day tomorrow. Thinking SSV. Should I be bringing my rock skis or are we past that point?

Edit: 24cm at LL? Really?
    Yeah. Louise today was great. 24cm seemed about right.

Great snow backside, not so great visibility above treeline. Frontside snow was a bit wetter and heavier, but still good. It was odd having fun bumps on Men's.

Does Sunshine ever get past the point of rock skis?

“ Outdoor recreation is permitted, but facilities with indoor spaces except for washrooms will be closed.”

New restrictions announced today.

So no day lodge access except for using washrooms? That’ll be a killer for Sunshine. At LL and Marmot at least people can go to their vehicle to eat or warm up the kiddos.

Got some actual powder turns and face shots at LL today even though I didn't get there until after noon.

Bottom was skiing like coastal snow... heavy and wet and set up into firm and choppy anywhere below about the bottom of the 6 pack.

New restrictions say outdoor social gatherings are banned but ski hills are surprisingly still open... surprisingly because it's an obvious outdoor social gathering place.

Maybe a matter of time until they shut them down? Get your turns while you still can.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    ...ski hills are surprisingly still open... surprisingly because it's an obvious outdoor social gathering place...
    A social gathering is just that, an organized get together with other people to socialize. It does not mean being in the same place as other people. Otherwise walking down a sidewalk with other people in the vicinity would be banned.

Yea, I mean the lineups for grocery stores last year in march were no worse then lift lines are if they manage the spacings. Fingers crossed we can keep shredding.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    A social gathering is just that, an organized get together with other people to socialize. It does not mean being in the same place as other people. Otherwise walking down a sidewalk with other people in the vicinity would be banned.
    I think that's kind of splitting hairs.

The new regulations actually say "no close contact outside your household."

I don't want the hills to close but even 20 people in a lift line could be interpreted as violating those regulations.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Yea, I mean the lineups for grocery stores last year in march were no worse then lift lines are if they manage the spacings. Fingers crossed we can keep shredding.
    This is true. It's surprising that some people still fail to give proper spacing.

“ Outdoor recreation is permitted, but facilities with indoor spaces except for washrooms will be closed.”

New restrictions announced today.

So no day lodge access except for using washrooms? That’ll be a killer for Sunshine. At LL and Marmot at least people can go to their vehicle to eat or warm up the kiddos.
    Lots of tailgatting and bbq's in the LL parking lot the other day. Takes me back to the good ol days before Albertan's were rich ignorant a holes....

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I think that's kind of splitting hairs.

The new regulations actually say "no close contact outside your household."

I don't want the hills to close but even 20 people in a lift line could be interpreted as violating those regulations.

We'll see.

No splitting of hairs. You’re simply trying to insert meaning into the restrictions that was not placed there by the people making them. You’ve just done it again with a different aspect of the restrictions.

But if you feel you’re violating the restrictions then you should certainly do the right thing.

SSV FB page:

“Dear Sunshiners,
    We are pleased to report that under the new Alberta Government Covid-19 restrictions we will be allowed continue to operate our lifts under strict covid-19 health measures and protocols.
    We believe outdoor recreation is essential to mental and physical health, and we look forward to safely welcoming you to the slopes this winter.
    Mask use remains mandatory on all lifts, in lines, and in all facilities. We do expect the enhanced provincial health restrictions to impact certain areas of our operation starting Sunday, December 13 (largely food and beverage). These changes will be communicated in the coming days once we have had the opportunity to further consult with Alberta Health Services.”

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    How did Eagle East look? Good snow coverage?
    Getting better.. it skis good just be a little light on the toes and expect a scrape here and there depending on your line choice.

No splitting of hairs. You’re simply trying to insert meaning into the restrictions that was not placed there by the people making them. You’ve just done it again with a different aspect of the restrictions.

But if you feel you’re violating the restrictions then you should certainly do the right thing.
    I just relayed the actual wording of the regs and implied it could possibly be interpreted that way.

Nothing is certain in all of this.

I seem to have maybe offended you with that suggestion? Not my intention if I did.

Why can't you use the lodges to warm up? You're allowed to be inside, you just need to mask up and keep your distance.

The outdoor warming tents should be okay. I don't think they have walls. Otherwise, it's lunch on the can!

Why can't you use the lodges to warm up? You're allowed to be inside, you just need to mask up and keep your distance.
    If you read the list of what is closed, including restaurants (which is basically what the lodges are), it's pretty clear why lodges have to be closed.

At KH no lodge warm up. The lodge has been converted to serviced tables ( of course a lot fewer tables) . You can get prepared take out , nothing off grill, but you have to leave the building to eat.

from KH
    There will be a maximum of 6 at a table
    �� Physical distancing is required
    �� Face coverings are required (except while seated and eating)
    �� Seated table service only
    �� Reservations available through our website

So you could reserve a warm up in lodge but you will have to order something

I bought boot heaters this year as on cold days i need a warm up after the first run then good for day. The warm ups not happening this year other than sitting in the heads.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

5ish cms of mashed potatoes in the village this morning. Still zero degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oops... double post.

Good day at the Lake, lots of left-overs. Busy-busy! Lots of interprovincial plates in parking lot but for the most part Albertan’s don’t care. Just where a mask and be respectful. Good on us hicks not causing blue, green, blk plate hate! Also Good on LL management overlooking lines and mandating distance and masks!

Robnow on the ears but never crossed paths. Hope you had as good a day as I did.

Wh2/wh1/ paradise bowl and ptarmigan trees all firing well late into the day under sunny skies!

I guess one of the silver linings of all the races cancelled at Louise this year is being able to get a lot more terrain open quickly (?). More alphabet chutes opened on Tues but I didn't get in there with the low vis.

I've been experimenting with eating a lot less while skiing (skipping lunch the past couple years) and this year, with all going on, I've been skipping breakfast too and just having a bar or two on the lift. I actually feel a lot sharper without a plate of eggs and toast in my stomach and nice to have no interest in hitting the lodge other than to warm up and have some coffee/water. (just may be tough if you take a lot of safety meetings and suffer from munchies).