Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I went to guest services to suggest that they should have staff walking up and down the left lines telling people to wear their face coverings properly.
    Really wouldn't want to do that job - even for decent pay.

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Really wouldn't want to do that job - even for decent pay.
    You're not wrong. But I think someone would take that job. Or maybe they should rotate the lefties between than job and other duties and hire some more lifties. I did see lifties telling people to pull their mask up when they were about to load, but they've been standing in line for 10 minutes or more in a crowd before that.

The way I see it, it's cheaper for the resorts to pay for that than to get shut down.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

You're not wrong. But I think someone would take that job. Or maybe they should rotate the lefties between than job and other duties and hire some more lifties. I did see lifties telling people to pull their mask up when they were about to load, but they've been standing in line for 10 minutes or more in a crowd before that.

The way I see it, it's cheaper for the resorts to pay for that than to get shut down.

It would be a similar role to marshaling at a golf course. The right person could do it with humour and good nature. Ample signage in support of the effort would make it very clear.

It is akin to making sure people quad up on busy days or powder days. I am one of those assholes that pushes people to get together on busy days. I don’t want to wait for some arse that wants to ride solo on a chair. That was pre-COVID though. New rules and considerations.

My brother was a lifty at Whistler/Blackcomb for years. He had a daily rap on what was open, where good conditions were, what was groomed overnight and aggressively paired everyone up to fill chairs. Same principle.

The downside, as you point out, is we lose the privelidge of skiing at a resort.
    Using Tapatalk

Stayed across the valley from the holiday hordes yesterday. Fingers crossed the hills stay open but its a shitshow without user compliance. Early season they had 2 staff at the start of the gondola lineup telling people to mask up but I imagine it gets even harder with the weekend crowds. I know they have way less lifty staff then on most years due to staff accom shortages and usually the extra liftyshelp with crowd control etc.

Heres some stoke anyways.

Nice turns! Looks sweet for early Nov! Bet that was a leg burner this early in the season!

incredible, Luke!

Well Louise grocery store is closed for the next 2 weeks for covid outbreak so get your turns in at the hill while you can! It was surprisingly easy on the legs, perfectly supportive crust and completely blower felt incredibly easy! skimmed a couple rocks up to so slowed er down but was so tempting to just pin it top to bottom haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Well Louise grocery store is closed for the next 2 weeks for covid outbreak so get your turns in at the hill while you can! It was surprisingly easy on the legs, perfectly supportive crust and completely blower felt incredibly easy! skimmed a couple rocks up to so slowed er down but was so tempting to just pin it top to bottom haha.
    Well shit... I was there yesterday too.

Edit: just contacted the store and they said the person who tested positive was sent home in isolation a few days ago before the positive test... so I and anyone else who was there yesterday SHOULD be fine... hopefully.

Good on you for checking in, Didn't mean to get anybody super scared but who knows. Seems like its setting into the bow valley for the first time since the start of the outbreak, Going to be an interesting few weeks.(or months lol)

If people reading this thread want me to move this part of the conversation somewhere else then let me know... but I'm putting it here now because I feel like it's important for people skiing in this area.

You know that almost every employee on the hill has been using that store for weeks now. I wonder if this gets identified in the staff in the next few days.

I know this sounds a little rash... but with the only source of supplies for locals gone, and disregard for the rules in lift lines, I wonder if it might be better to shut the hill for 2 weeks now and put a reset on this.

Maybe then people would realize these measures are serious.

If the hill is the source of an outbreak that goes from staff to visitors, that could be it for the season pretty quick. Maybe 2 weeks lost is better than the entire season.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 11-12-2020 at 01:07 PM.

If people reading this thread want me to move this part of the conversation somewhere else then let me know... but I'm putting it here now because I feel like it's important for people skiing in this area.

You know that almost every employee on the hill has been using that store for weeks now. I wonder if this gets identified in the staff in the next few days.

I know this sounds a little rash... but with the only source of supplies for locals gone, and disregard for the rules in lift lines, I wonder if it might be better to shut the hill for 2 weeks now and put a reset on this.

Maybe then people would realize these measures are serious.

If the hill is the source of an outbreak that goes from staff to visitors, that could be it for the season pretty quick. Maybe 2 weeks lost is better than the entire season.

Some very good points made there and I agree with you. However, based on the resorts reluctance to enforce their own rules (which I assume is to not anger customers and lose business), would they really be willing to shut down for 2 weeks and take a beating on social media/marketing? Unfortunately, I think short sighted greed instead of long term gain will win out here. Based on what I have seen this week, I'm not very optimistic about this season. Kind of wishing I hadn't bought a pass...

^^^ yeah, when I went to guest services yesterday to tell them about my concerns with lack of face coverings an no enforcement, the woman told me it's been like that since they opened and they might have to hire people to police it. Meaning they know it's going on and they are only now considering enforcing their own rules?

Seems shortsighted and like they've had plenty of time to address it.

I think more meaning they know and just don't care. I believe they think they will lose more money by having people not come if they give them a hard time about wearing masks as opposed to those of us who are already wearing a mask not coming because they aren't enforcing it. From what I've been hearing today about the number of new cases in the BV in the last 24 hours, they might not be given a choice of allowing people to come much longer anyways. It's hard to tell if the jump is from Halloween house parties or people coming out from YYC once the hill opened since both happened at the same time.

So she was still offered a job, refused it, and then sued? Wtf?

A couple of things pop out. She filed a complaint in July 2014 with the Alberta Human Rights Commission and the ruling happened in May 2019. How long does it take to review a simple workplace case? Why is this a human rights issue? If she's had several WCB claims then she's working beyond her ability and should move on for everyone's safety.

Companies get into trouble because managers try to handle the situation when they should punt it to HR and the legal team.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

So she was still offered a job, refused it, and then sued? Wtf?

she was a top patroler/snow safety. stiff working a bunch, but SSV was trying to get rid of her, so offered her a entry level possition of nothing. No good reason to down grade her.

There are specific rules to bringing people back from WCB as well.

To give credit where it's due, since I was hard on them a couple of days ago, based on the email they just sent to pass holders, it seems Lake Louise really is going to try and crackdown. Assuming they follow through with what they have written...

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    Why is this a human rights issue?
    Because workplace discrimination is covered under the Alberta Human Rights Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    If she's had several WCB claims then she's working beyond her ability and should move on for everyone's safety.
    Several injuries/WCB claims over a 17 season career in an inherently dangerous and physical job in a pretty brutal outdoor winter environment and somehow that means she's working beyond her ability or endangering others? How the fuck did you work that one out? If we were only allowed non-injured ski patrollers I don't think we'd end up with any left (certainly not any experienced ones) - if you do it for any extended period of time then chances are you're going to get a few injuries.

Fuck, I've seen housekeepers have several WCB claims over one summer season. Several over 17 winters doing a much more dangerous job seems like a pretty decent ratio to me.

WTB: straight/skinny kids skis around 100cm. Bonus if they have rental bindings or are mounted for near 235mm bsl.

They are needed to convert our Croozer bike trailer to an XC ski sled (hence straight/skinny preference).

double bonus if they are volkl racetigers from the mid 90s for my personal nostalgia. Triple bonus if in SW Calgary.

didnt ssv systematically try to fuck over a bunch of long timer employees after the owners kid was given shit for sking out of bounds and pulling the "don't your know who I am" thing ?

My take has always been I would rather ski lake lousy anyhow and SSV can go fuck them selves
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    To give credit where it's due, since I was hard on them a couple of days ago, based on the email they just sent to pass holders, it seems Lake Louise really is going to try and crackdown. Assuming they follow through with what they have written...
    Could you post that letter here? Or is it too long?

I could PM you my email address if that works better? I'd like to read it.

Is this it?
    https://www.skilouise.com/top-news/i...season-update/

No more Louise Card sales, and some stronger language re: masks.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    didnt ssv systematically try to fuck over a bunch of long timer employees after the owners kid was given shit for sking out of bounds and pulling the "don't your know who I am" thing ?

My take has always been I would rather ski lake lousy anyhow and SSV can go fuck them selves
    This. Don't know why anyone would give Sunshine the benefit of the doubt in any HR situation. In a normal circumstance I would agree that it sounds a bit odd, but not when those shady pricks are involved.