Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Epic day touring K-country! Snow is good, skies were blue, face shots were had!

Error

^^ that’s from 2015...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7580297/b...y-closure/amp/

Looks like new action on the hiway closure at Golden this spring

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7580297/b...y-closure/amp/

Looks like new action on the hiway closure at Golden this spring

This is good news.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Will widening that latest stretch of highway speed up travel that much? Or mostly reduce accidents that now close the road way too often?

Get the road out of avalanche paths as well.

Good news, the quad chair reopened this morning at Kimberley.

I managed to work off a few beers hiking for two weeks to go lift skiing.

Is it? Guess so now that it is groomer skiing again.

Yep. Still soft on the backside but nice to rip some groomers this morning. No moguls = 12 runs by noon.

Might have missed it earlier in the thread but how’s the new West Bowl expansion changing things up at LL? Didn’t even realize this was happening, new lift etc. Kind of sad to see the platter go, that thing was classic and a good gaper filter.

I'm sure someone who is more than a weekend warrior like me can chime in, but it hasn't changed a whole bunch from my observation. The tight, thin, moguls, and almost hidden traverse entrance at the top and pandemic line up at the bottom on busy days keeps it pretty quiet. Even though the platter is gone, I've almost never sat in a lift line at the new chairlift. I think the ultra thin frontside (wind), and black diamond + terrain off the lift other than boomerang thins the crowds up there regardless. And as I alluded to before, seemingly constant gale winds blowing over the summit this year doesn't make it exactly as "comfortable" as other chairs. Boo hoo. Also makes boomerang/whitehorn laps a lot quicker too.

Being someone who's never really explored all of west bowl, its a welcome addition. Lots of added terrain, some fun features. That area kinda reminds me a of castle mountain terrain a bit, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Might have missed it earlier in the thread but how’s the new West Bowl expansion changing things up at LL? Didn’t even realize this was happening, new lift etc. Kind of sad to see the platter go, that thing was classic and a good gaper filter.
    The new peak chair is awesome, and it barely has lineups (even on weekends). I ventured into west bowl about a month ago and the traverse felt like base grind.... so hopefully it's better now...

Peak chair is windy as shit and westbowl has gone from a nice pow stash to moguls, sure it was getting skied lots before but nowhere near the scale of how it is now. On the other hand I'd say i wait less for summit now then before with the old platter atleast when its sunny and bluebird.
    Snowing a bit in LL right now could use the refresh but if we get anything substantial I'd imagine things will get sporty for a bit!
    Couple turns this AM

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Couple turns this AM

nice: 93N?

Haven't been to healy pass in years... does sunshine hold spots at the back of the lot for hikers going up there? And even with the lot rules going on this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Haven't been to healy pass in years... does sunshine hold spots at the back of the lot for hikers going up there? And even with the lot rules going on this season?

not sure, VERY unlikely that they are saving spots for anyone, for any reason. Midweek its not a big deal. saturday arrive 7:30 or 11:30

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post

There is parking immediately off the hiway on the left by the climbing. You can park there and shuttle bus it to the village. That's all they are saving for tourers unless you get there earlier as mtnlion said

Thanks for the beta.

Pretty nice refresh in Kananaskis, probs 40cm in Spray Valley. Get it before it turns into a nasty slab on a whatever sun crust / wind crust / hoar is below.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Pretty nice refresh in Kananaskis, probs 40cm in Spray Valley. Get it before it turns into a nasty slab on a whatever sun crust / wind crust / hoar is below.
    Bizarre-Skied Ha Ling yesterday. Didn't look like snow up the valley

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Bizarre-Skied Ha Ling yesterday. Didn't look like snow up the valley
    Forecast was calling for a dusting so we were pretty surprised to see it. Between Tent Ridge and Purple Knob seemed to have the most (roadside) accumulation.

Damn, LL was karen central yesterday. Seeing the crowds confirmed that required reservations are not a thing, just show up.

I stayed up top, talked to a guy in top of the world lift line, it was 1030 and he was just getting up there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210129_094153.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	360464
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210129_121000.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	360465

Whether you agree with the spacing and what not, thems the rules, if they want to stay open something has to change.

Busy day at Fernie as well.

Its Teacher Development this week i think? So long weekend for all the kiddo's Hopefully things get normal-ish after this weekend! Honestly those lines have looked that busy many times all season definitely a weak spot for the new summit chair having to go back to topo if your craving some headwall lap action.
    Nice Refresh coming this week looks like 20-30 if we get lucky!