Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Probably a combination of new staff and new COVID protocols and possible higher than usually demand? Just an FYI about RCR resorts, technically there is no buying a lift ticket at the window, you need to buy your ticket online and the ticket window will scan your QR code off your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'm having a hard time understanding why the lineups to buy lift tickets are so out of control, even when the hill itself and lift lines aren't that bad?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    This doesn't make sense to me either, plus it's November... what's it going to look like once winter gets rolling? Also, don't you need to buy lift tickets online? Is this a result of a poor online ticketing system?

Quote Originally Posted by joecoffee View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me either, plus it's November... what's it going to look like once winter gets rolling? Also, don't you need to buy lift tickets online? Is this a result of a poor online ticketing system?
    I dont think you have to buy online for LL or SSV but maybe they should do that.

As others mentioned above it would suck donkey balls to drive all the way to SSV only yo find that the lot is full and they won't let you ski.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm wondering how many people in the video from Saturday thought they were in line for the gondola, getting to the front and realizing they were in the ticket line?

I have a feeling this will be common, since I doubt they'll place signs way out in the parking. I guess I'll slither along the north side of the lot to bypass the masses.

I saw some canadream rv's obviously camped out in the lot friday, does anyone know if they're cool with overnight parking? Seems like one could score a pretty good covid deal on one of those rentals these days.

To be fair, from the looks of it that video was likely taken around 9:30-10:00am. I mean what do you expect... I figure show up at 7:30-7:45 and you're on the gondola in 10-15 mins.

As for the parking lot, if you're showing up and its full, you're doing it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'm having a hard time understanding why the lineups to buy lift tickets are so out of control, even when the hill itself and lift lines aren't that bad?

Nobody is manning the ticket desks (at least not at louise), so everyone needs to use the machines. There are fewer places to buy, and a lot of people are pretty slow at the self check out. Probably issues where people have bought but not activated their discount cards. That's my guess, anyway.

You know in the end Vail may end up looking like the only ones with their shit together. Even though people are bitching about their reservation system, they were pretty clear about it happening way back in the summer. SS and LL claiming no reservations and then having to suddenly implement what amounts to it by cutting off parking and telling people who have driven hours to turn around is going to cause way more of a pushback. And when they eventually decide the only way they can handle it is by setting up a ‘parking’ reservation system, they are going to be opening themselves up to all kinds of grieve.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    You know in the end Vail may end up looking like the only ones with their shit together. Even though people are bitching about their reservation system, they were pretty clear about it happening way back in the summer. SS and LL claiming no reservations and then having to suddenly implement what amounts to it by cutting off parking and telling people who have driven hours to turn around is going to cause way more of a pushback. And when they eventually decide the only way they can handle it is by setting up a ‘parking’ reservation system, they are going to be opening themselves up to all kinds of grieve.
    Don't bring LL into SSV lack of parking and poor management..... Interested to see how Whistler pans out. I didn't buy a Epic pass for a reason....The shit show is about to begin for you guys!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 11-23-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Don't bring LL into SSV lack of parking and poor management..... Interested to see how Whistler pans out. I didn't buy a Epic pass for a reason....The shit show is about to begin for you guys!
    Well it is true that LL has a way better parking situation, and more than one lift to access the mountain, so maybe they never hit lines up like that.

Yeh, we’ll see on Thursday what happens, was talking to some lifties today at Creekside as they were test running the gondola. They have a cattle gate setup back and forth across the entire plaza, double gated so parallel rows are at least 6ft apart. No singles line, singles have to lineup as a group of 1 in the regular line. Not sure whether to be down there really early, or let the initial confusion sort itself out and head out a bit later. At least it looks like we can ski out so avoiding repeating the whole process at the end of the day. Going to be a different year for sure.

⚠️ Attention Rogers Pass backcountry users ⚠️
    During the first avalanche control closure of the season, less than a week into the Winter Permit System, tracks were found entering a closed Winter Restricted Area from the unrestricted Connaught Creek area. Entering an area of the park that is closed for avalanche control, using live artillery, not only puts yourself and others at risk, it also puts the entire Winter Permit System at risk.
    Winter Unrestricted Areas like Connaught Creek are kept open because this terrain is not affected by the highway avalanche control program. If these areas continue to be used to enter terrain, like Grizzly Shoulder, in closed Winter Restricted Areas, Parks Canada will consider closing Winter Unrestricted Areas during avalanche control.
    https://www.facebook.com/ParksMountainSafety/

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    more terrain at LL is open, with WAY more vertical. but both should be fun to make a few turns at .....
    How's Larch looking? Still rocky or good to go?

Tower 10 area of larch was super rocky. Not really easy to ski with much fluidity. Good coverage on Lynx. Bobcat has a bunch of Christmas trees poking out, but they don't cause too many issues.

Elevator shaft was removed from the run list. Did they give that back to parks? Does this mean the bootpack to purple is out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
    Tower 10 area of larch was super rocky. Not really easy to ski with much fluidity. Good coverage on Lynx. Bobcat has a bunch of Christmas trees poking out, but they don't cause too many issues.

Elevator shaft was removed from the run list. Did they give that back to parks? Does this mean the bootpack to purple is out?
    Elevator shaft was removed for west bowl access. Not sure what that means about access though as it is a direct avy threat to upper larch

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

While they removed elevator shaft from the run list, it would really suck if LL had to limit or prevent access to the top of Lipalian and PB. If its a backcountry gate and off the run list, I don't see why Parks would consider that part of LL official terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Elevator shaft was removed for west bowl access. Not sure what that means about access though as it is a direct avy threat to upper larch

Elevator Shaft (156) is still on Big 3's Lake Louise trail maps: https://www.skibig3.com/wp-content/u...-trail-map.pdf

LL website says under new for 20/21 season: . "Trail maps will be updated soon"

Perhaps somebody in the know will chime in on Lipalian access remaining or shut. I hope its just a redrawing of resort boundaries as a part of the west bowl expansion.

I'm assuming it will be gate access as they will still control larch side to summit oof lipillian I think the boundary is now ridge top. They have up wolverine ridge area. Not sure exact boundaries

border crossing

Is the border still closed between US and Can?
    Isn't that going to put a good dent into the BC and Monreal Ski scene or do they get enough Canadians to support?

Snork

This is the best place to get border crossing advice and learn about who the Habs support.

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    Is the border still closed between US and Can?
    Isn't that going to put a good dent into the BC and Monreal Ski scene or do they get enough Canadians to support?

Snork
    US/Can border is still closed to "Discretionary travel includes, but is not limited to, tourism, recreation and entertainment."

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...th-advice.html

They keep extending it by 1 month as the closure nears its expiration. Don't think it will be changing anytime soon.

Anyone heading to LL this weekend? Can we finally put the rock skis to rest?

At LL every ski is a rock ski. Some skis just don't know it yet

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    At LL every ski is a rock ski. Some skis just don't know it yet

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    This. Ptex is the new toilet paper... Stock up now

It looks like there is a regular backcountry gate set up to go up towards Elevator Shaft now, not an inbounds closed avalanche sign. So it looks like there should be full access to the hike with normal backcountry precautions. Although I can see them temporarily closing it when they are doing some explosives work. Not that you would want to be up there then anyways...

Marmot was on point today. Fresh 9cm’s and soft snow conditions with sunny skies. Excellent conditions considering we’re not yet in December. Lift lines were minimal and outside everyone seemed to be doing the mask thing well. Didn’t venture into the lodges.