Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I've never done the hike out the Boundary Bowl (#141) at Lake Louise, is it marked and obvious, or do you need a guide? How long is it - and do you need a pack, or can you sling the skis over your shoulders and walk up? I've done T2 at Kicking Horse, but hated the hike (Ozone was easier).

The hike is obvious. You just need to do a short bootback to upper boomerang first. Upper boomerang typically opens in early season... go to the end, and you'll see the gate.

It's a shorter and easier hike than Ozone, T2 and T1. The run isn't that long though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
    The hike is obvious. You just need to do a short bootback to upper boomerang first. Upper boomerang typically opens in early season... go to the end, and you'll see the gate.

It's a shorter and easier hike than Ozone, T2 and T1. The run isn't that long though.
    Thanks! I can't wait to get out. Lake Louise already has 40cm base, hopefully La Nina brings us lot's of snow!

Looks like the Lake is opening this Thursday with the glacier chair and gondola opening accses to a couple WROD.

Good news from Parks Canada for annual discovery pass holders:-

"For current pass holders, Parks Canada will automatically extend the end date of Discovery Passes for the full duration of the suspension period.

For visitors who hold a Discovery Pass which was valid in March 2020, Parks Canada will automatically extend the end date of these Discovery Passes by 4 months. This covers the three-month suspension of visitor services, plus the gradual resumption of visitor services during the month of June.

For example, a Discovery Pass that would have originally expired March 2020 will now expire July 2020. Similarly, a Discovery Pass that would have expired September 2020 will now expire January 2021."

(I guess it is old news they were extending the passes, but I only checked by how long today).

^^^ I didn't know any of that... thanks!

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Lake Louise have announced that Paradise Chair & Bowl are opening tomorrow which has to be a record. They opened Ptarmigan today and the snow in the trees up hill was still light and dry so there should be some great turns to be had (in amongst all the sharks of course),

skied LL today, if you stay on whats gromed its 100% fine with new skis (top of gondi down front on blue/green runs, or Pika on back side)

Raven/Ptarm/exibition where open, as well as main paradise bowl. I have seen worse conditions Dec 20th.

overall WAY better then expected

Nice! Congrats you guys, that's awesome. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    skied LL today, if you stay on whats gromed its 100% fine with new skis (top of gondi down front on blue/green runs, or Pika on back side)

Raven/Ptarm/exibition where open, as well as main paradise bowl. I have seen worse conditions Dec 20th.

overall WAY better then expected

Did you go bushwhacking in Pika tress?

bad news: its raining in banff now, and all night, and +8. top of lake louise is +1 this morning.

good news: mnt biking again in a few days and we get a 2nd pond skating season
    Last edited by mntlion; 11-05-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Damn, I was planning to hit up LL tomorrow morning, probably still will. Their website says top of the world chair opens today.

Quote Originally Posted by c4n007 View Post
    Damn, I was planning to hit up LL tomorrow morning, probably still will. Their website says top of the world chair opens today.
    temps are dropping currently, and still raining. So might be ok if both keep going?
    -3 current at Ptarm top

Pissing rain at Pano all the way up to the top today. Canadian ski teams are supposed to start training tomorrow, the man made snow they were pushing down to the base today looked like mashed potatoes.

Biking around the columbia valley is really good right now. Rode to the top of Swansea on Sunday, a couple inches of snow at the top.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Biking around the columbia valley is really good right now. Rode to the top of Swansea on Sunday, a couple inches of snow at the top.

Going to LL tomorrow, if it sucks, might come down and ride invermere

Going to LL tomorrow, if it sucks, might come down and ride invermere
    Let us know an update. Was excited for a ski tour or a day at LL this weekend but now I’m getting worried of wasting my day....

Quote Originally Posted by pano-dude View Post
    Pissing rain at Pano all the way up to the top today. Canadian ski teams are supposed to start training tomorrow, the man made snow they were pushing down to the base today looked like mashed potatoes.

Miserable here today, agreed.

Working from the cabin this week, was hoping to do a ride Sat if Lillian still dry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Any updates regarding conditions for ice skating on vermillion lakes?

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Any updates regarding conditions for ice skating on vermillion lakes?
    skating would NOT go well. It needs to ideally 100% melt off and start again. its about 50% water now.

and sking at the lake was some of the best 1cm I've had in a while. backside from top of the world opened. yesterdays rain/wind crust supportive, nice turns.

and sking at the lake was some of the best 1cm I've had in a while. backside from top of the world opened. yesterdays rain/wind crust supportive, nice turns.
    Agreed. Great day! Sunny and bright. Untracked turns (at least for a couple of runs) were found on Saddleback and lower WH1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got in a pretty good season opener around Highwood last weekend. Enough snow to make some turns in the alpine but it was quite thin elsewhere (and warming) - this weekend's snow will be most welcome.

No season passes this year so wasn't willing to shell out cash for barely open resorts. I see Sunshine opens monday.

summit CHAIR opens tomorrow

summit CHAIR opens tomorrow
    Dang! I haven't been to the Lake in years and obviously haven't been paying attention, but I will say that the Summit Platter is in my top five favorite ski lifts of all time. Delivered the goods and kept the masses at bay! RIP!

Seems like summit is still delayed. Marketing seems to say anyday, rumors say a month so who knows haha.

Man alive... there were a lot of people either missing the mark with mask wearing in lift lines and chairs (I.e. chin diaper) and a lot downright ignoring it and not even pretending to wear a mask.

If that shit keeps up, and/or contact tracing pinpoints an outbreak to a ski hill, and/or someone takes a picture of that behavior and sends it the powers that be, I could see hills getting shut down.

I went to guest services to suggest that they should have staff walking up and down the left lines telling people to wear their face coverings properly.

Other than that, it was a nice sunny day at the lake.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season