Inexpensive bar mount light

I find it useful to have extra lights to loan to friends when going out on rides during shortened days. The last 2 cheap Amazon lights I got stopped working after 6 mos or so. Any recommendations?

This is not the What Light for Serious Night Riding Around $300 thread.

I like my bontrager one. Mount it on my helmet or bar. Rechargeable. I think its 800 or 1kw. 100cad so probably 70usd. One for your bar and one for the lid and youre dialed

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I got a Bright Eyes light (not the Conor Oberst band) a few years ago that is still going strong. Separate battery pack though which is a bit annoying.

At this point most of the stuff between $75>100 is pretty good and would suffice for an extra or loaner. The cheap stuff tends to throw the light all over the place and has no reach so why bother. More expensive is nice but over 1k lumens can really wash things out unless the reflector pattern is really good. I only ride trails so this may not apply to road.

Iíve got an older version of this.

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...mtb-headlight/

Usually mount it on my helmet. Sometimes go with more lights on the bars but usually that is good enough. Been going strong for a couple years.

Lezyne is making solid lights with a competitive lumen:dollar ratio. $40 for 500 lumens, and $60 for 1000 IIRC

For cheapish handlebar mount I like Magicshine. It was the original cheap light before Amazon existed, but they have gone more upscale the last few years. $60 https://shopmagicshine.com/collectio...ke-front-light

I haven't used the Magicshine helmet mount lights. I've been using a Portland Design Works light for about 5-6 yrs now, around 700 lumens for $60-70. No complaints, though it doesn't seem as bright as it used to.

Maybe you just had bad luck with the cheap chinese lights from Amazon. I've had a 3 or 4 of them. The light heads are still going 8-10 yrs later. The batteries are the weak point but the Magic shine batteries work with them. I have plenty of those.

Niterider Lumina Micro series is excellent imo.

Nite Rider Lumina Nite rider

https://www.azbicycledepot.com/produ...0-351685-1.htm this works nicely for bars.

I have a NR 4500 lumen with external battery and actually prefer the lighter self contained Micro stuff. I use a 1800 Lumina Dual on bar, Micro Swift pointed down on the bars, and a 900 on my helmet.

Iíve been impressed with my Shenkey lights from amazon for sub-$25.

^x2 no issues

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’ve been impressed with my Shenkey lights from amazon for sub-$25.
    This! If you're just getting a spare to loan to a friend, the Shenkey or the Ceco 1000 for $40 on Amazon are well regarded.

Thanks y’all

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Niterider Lumina Micro series is excellent imo.
    +1 The Niterider bar mount is pretty good by itself, but you can also get the GoPro adapter for it and it's amazing. I have a Micro and a Lumina 1100 Boost and theyve got great throw and beam for riding/night skiing. Inexpensive too, especially if you catch a sale.

Magic Shine = don't let the Chinaman burn down your house