Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Hertel Wax, get it while you can

Hertel Wax is up for sale and all wax is on sale. Stock up on this premium wax while it's still around. https://hertelwax.com/collections/all-products

One layer of FC 739 and one of Cream of da Crop is a pretty lethal combo.

Good PSA, any beta on the potential sale other than the casual banner on their page? I'll be real sad if hotsauce goes away

Layering waxes goes against the whole reason I use hotsauce, but I'm intrigued by the cream of da crop

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Sucks, I’ve been running hertel for years, it works great down here in the banana belt.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Layering waxes goes against the whole reason I use hotsauce, but I'm intrigued by the cream of da crop
    I regularly blend hertel, mostly because it plays well with graphite when the snow’s dirty down here, which is often. I’ve never found hertel to be exceptional in new snow on its own, it requires water to work well and I only rub on a little under colder temp wax when it snows.

FC 739 as a base layer and Cream of da Crop added as needed has been the combo I get along with the best. I did pick up some of the Racing Ice and the Ultimate Powder to try out.

I hope somebody keeps the business going. I've been using 739 exclusively it's very durable and works in most conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MESH View Post
    I hope somebody keeps the business going. I've been using 739 exclusively it's very durable and works in most conditions.
    739 is done. What's left is all there is. I do believe the 739 was going to be discontinued due to some new fluoro carbo regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    it requires water to work well
    This is probably why I like it in the cascades.

You guys convinced me to branch out and try some of these other offerings. I use their spring wax quite a bit so I guess I'll go for the big hertel wax quiver. Gonna be pissed if I end up roto brushing too though

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    739 is done. What's left is all there is. I do believe the 739 was going to be discontinued due to some new fluoro carbo regulations.
    fwiw the 739 on their site appears to be newly fluoro free

Thanks for the PSA. Grabbed a few bricks.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    It got revamped last year and is now fluoro free and “biodegradable”. I figured the EPA regs on CFCs and PFCs that kinked up NA distribution for Toko and Swix a couple years ago might be the death knell for Hertel, hopefully they get picked up by someone that has an interest in continuing the ski side of things. Pretty sure they get a significant amount of their revenue from selling refined paraffin for spas and candles and shit.

Seems my 3/4lb brick of 739 is from 2014 I'll have to start using it sparingly.

Damn, been using super hot sauce for 40 years. Just stocked up, thanks to this PSA. Hope someone buys Terry out.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    So do the PNW crowd recommend the hot sauce or the 739 for a do it all?

Hot sauce has been great for me but I haven't used 739, so can't compare. I only use all temp or spring wax and hot sauce is equivalent to purl purple for pnw winter conditions IME

I visited Terry at his shop in Burlingame, great guy, and bought wax there a few times. Good wax, long lasting, but it doesn't scrape and structure that well. Prefer Toko/swix.

Hot sauce has been great for me but I haven't used 739, so can't compare. I only use all temp or spring wax and hot sauce is equivalent to purl purple for pnw winter conditions IME
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    So do the PNW crowd recommend the hot sauce or the 739 for a do it all?
    same... i've run super hot sauce for years and it generally works great, but occasionally i'll top with a few drips of swix HF8 especially in the spring pollen/needles.

looking forward to trying the Cream of the Crop and new 739 as well.
    Last edited by Norseman; 10-20-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: HF, not LF.

Been using Super Hot Sauce for a LONG TIME - late 90's I think? Way better than Zoom... and about 60% less. Damn.

I bought a couple bricks. Should be good for another 10 years or so. I might not be skiing by then...who knows???
    Gravity. It's the law.

Just a heads up, it is a few bucks cheaper on Amazon vs his website. I am bummed that he is selling out as I have had good success with the product. Hopefully the 5 lbs I ordered gets me a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the help deciding caulfield and norseman, super hot sauce on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    Just a heads up, it is a few bucks cheaper on Amazon vs his website. I am bummed that he is selling out as I have had good success with the product. Hopefully the 5 lbs I ordered gets me a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Worth adding for the antitrust crowd -- the amazon items are sold by hertel, not amazon or another retailer. Make your own assumptions about which fulfillment model gets more money to the good guy I guess

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    One link for Super Hot Sauce seems much better than all the others. It's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Q4XKFY/ . I bought 3 of them, received them, and each weighs 17-18oz on my scale, so seems like the best price per oz, by far.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Don't forget the toilet seat tightener that Hertel makes. I have used mine a few times and gave one as a practical gag gift. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NJXA05ER&psc=1

Lol, wish I needed wax.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fuck it. I grabbed myself some surfactants. I'll mix it when it's very cold or very warm.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.