Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    This season has been crazy.

Men's Slalom has been bonkers. The second run 30 - > 1 has thrown a monkey wrench in everything. Courses breaking down, whether ruts or getting chippy. Not super tech slopes but some interesting sets.
    it seemed crazy to me when they went to Reverse30 - ( I probably don't know how ICE a WC slalom course is supposed to be )

years ago, it was reported Stenmark wanted to be Just off the pace in the first run so he go an earlier Start in the second run ( they ran ReverseFive at Stenmark's peak )

I imagine a soft slalom course is Extremely choppy these days... skiJ

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Can’t say we didn’t see it coming, but there you have it:

Ted Ligety announces retirement

Maybe we’ll get to see some ski racing tomorrow.

Well, it’s not WC but who gives a shit, Shiffrin nabbed third in SG. Gut continues her discipline domination.

Her run was so clean, I don’t know how anyone could have topped her.

And the men’s SG is just a running list of DNFs.

With Ganong taking 5th!

I don't really follow racing anymore but admit I like hearing good things about her. Rooting for her to do well.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Ser gut skiing from Gut today, took the overall lead from Vlhova for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Ser gut skiing from Gut today, took the overall lead from Vlhova for now.

With the remaining races left it will be tough for Gut to stay ahead of Vlhova. 4 Slaloms left is tough, Gut will need help from the other SL girls to limit Vlhova's point gains.
    2 DH (Val di Fassi, WCF Lenzerheide)
    2 SG (Val di Fassi, WCF Lenzerheide)
    2 GS (Jasna, WCF Lenzerheide)
    4 SL (Jasna, Åre, Åre, WCF Lenzerheide)

Gut may just have to race the SL at World Cup Finals to get a few points. Just finish the second run and its 5 points for a 26th place finish.

Vlhova was tied for ninth today, she’s not going to give up easy. I hope it’s back and forth all the way through finals.

Vlhova was tied for ninth today, she’s not going to give up easy. I hope it’s back and forth all the way through finals.
    Thats a strong 29 points taken out of Guts 100 points.

2021 ALPINE World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Gut may just have to race the SL at World Cup Finals to get a few points. Just finish the second run and its 5 points for a 26th place finish.
    The clarify what I mean. For World Cup Finals only the top 25 racers in each discipline qualify. (Plus World Jr champ, Plus Continental Cup Champ) AND any racer with over 500 Points can enter.
    So Laura Gut is not in the top 25 in SL (does not have any SL points, or has raced any SL races), but she has over 500 total points so she can enter the SL at World Cup Finals. With only 25 other competitors (plus maybe a Jr Champ) she is guaranteed at least a 26th place (5 points) or more if she finishes the second run.
    This has happened a few times in recent history when it comes down to a few points after the points standing in the penultimate (GS) race.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 02-26-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Well, Gut is definitely doing everything she can to avoid that scenario. What a weekend, eight podiums in a row with five wins and now leads by 187 points in the overall.

2d most podiums all*time for Swiss ladies. Vreni was great; so is Lara. 200+ up and she doesn't even compete in SL. Petra does not seem to be at the top of her game lately. It's going to be close.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Petra not quite at the top of her game is still good enough to get 300+ points out of the remaining SLs. But Gut at the top of her game is good enough to pick up a GS win. Going to be fun to watch.

2021 ALPINE World Cup

Gut likes the track in Lenzerheide, with really good results there before. She has podiumed in GS, AC, Super G and Downhill there.

ZomblibulaX we should go there for World Cup Finals one year. I'll work on getting that into the game plan.
    Traditionally the World Championship venue needs to do the WCF the year before the Champs for a test event. But we fought that one for 15. Because it would have been BOP Nov 13 (Men and Women), WCF Mar 14, BOP Nov14, WASC Feb 15, BOP 15. It would have been 6 within 2 years.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 02-28-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    It would have been 6 within 2 years.
    And you thought the turnover leading up to 2015 was bad; imagine if we had Finals stacked on top of it. Everybody left gets a promotion!

Finals would be rad, let me know what I can do. (Hint: it’s mostly carrying heavy things)

Alright, anyone who hasn't been paying attention (myself included) is missing out. Long story short: FInals is going to be worth watching.

Odermatt won today's GS, while Pinturault got 4th. Now Odermatt's up 25 points in the GS standings with one race left. And only down 31 points in the overall to Pinturault, though Alexis will add to that lead in a few hours. Going to be a fun week to watch.

Yesterday, Vlhova was up 87 points on Shiffrin for the SL globe, today she had an awful bobble in the first run that put her in 27th after the flip. She laid down the fastest 2nd run and ended up 8th. So... Shiffrin is 37 points back for the small globe, Liensberger won today and is only 22 points back. So... If Vlhova finishes 2nd or better, she wins the SL globe. So Shiffrin's window is basically Shiffrin 1st, Liensberger 2nd, Vlhova 3rd to take the SL title for the 7th time. Not impossible, will make for good racing.

Lara Gut's 96 points back in the overall, so if she has the greatest WC Finals ever, or if Vlhova DNF's SL or GS...

Oh, and... if Gut doesn't win the DH, and Suter doesn't get better than third...

Goggia will still win the DH globe.

Horrible visibility in Kranjska Gora, Clement Noel smoked it though:

Pinturault was fourth going into the second run and skied out; Finals is gonna be good!

World Cup Finals starts this Monday March 15th, from Lenzerheide Switzerland. This venue has hosted World Cup Finals in 2014, 2013 and 2011. At World Cup Finals both Men and Women race on the same track on the same day. This is possible because only 25 competitors qualify for each event (kinda, I can explain if you want).
    The compact schedule is:
    Mon: DH training, Men and women (canceled because of Weather)
    Tues: DH training, Men snd Women
    Wed: DH, Men and Women
    Thur: SG, Men and Women
    Fri: Alpine Team Event
    Sat: GS, Men and Women
    Sun: SL, Men and Women.

Lenzerheide have also recently hosted SL, GS and SG and SG-Combi Women’s World Cups here in 2018 and 2016.
    Most of the athletes are familiar with these tracks and will go into WCF with some personal history, good or bad, performing in Lenzerheide.
    Like ZomblibulaX said, it’s going to be good racing.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 03-14-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks! I have enjoyed this season.

Goggia locked up the small globe for DH today. Unquestionably.

Ha!

https://skiracing.com/goggia-feuz-wi...aces-canceled/

Bummer they couldn’t have a race, but honestly, I would have loved to have seen Goggia finish with 700+ points in the discipline.

I’m glad that she didn’t have to race after that injury at Garmisch. I feel bad for Lara
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Gut still has the SG globe, but yeah, that pretty much hands the overall to Vlhova.

The compact schedule is:
    Mon: DH training, Men and women (canceled because of Weather)
    Tues: DH training, Men snd Women (canceled because of Weather)
    Wed: DH, Men and Women (canceled because of Weather)
    Thur: SG, Men and Women (canceled because of Weather) FAWK!
    Fri: Alpine Team Event
    Sat: GS, Men and Women
    Sun: SL, Men and Women.

Well that about wraps it up for the overall. The challengers at this point (Gut and Odermatt) are not entirely out of the picture, but unless the leaders DNF they're not likely to take the lead. Pinturault/Odermatt duking it out for the GS globe will still be the race to watch.

Hate seeing titles decided over cancellations, but the weather looks to be improving.

I don't think anyone can argue that Vlhova doesn't deserve the big globe; she's had a hell of a season. Pinturault will finally win the overall, after coming in 2nd the last two years, and Odermatt's got his whole career ahead of him to do it himself.

Holdener out with positive COVID test.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/alpine-...214540478.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch