Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where do you get yer news

(Other than teh TGRz of course)

That comment about CNN in the rat flu thread got me thinking about my main sources. All taken with grain of salt etc.

Mainstream: NYT, WaPo, Atlantic, Economist, The Week, NPR, TNR
    Leftish: Daily Beast, Guardian, New Yorker, Politico, NY Mag, Le Monde
    Rightish: Bulwark, WSJ, National Review (became less interesting in recent yrs....hmmm wonder why).

Teh TRG!!!

The crackheads downtown always have the scoop.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    The crackheads downtown always have the scoop.
    Werd.

NYT, Wapo, PBS, New Yorker, NPR.
    In addition I am subjected to CNN, MSNBC, the Sunday AM talk shows, CBS morning show, and CBS evening news, but I try to ignore as much as I can.

Google news

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Apple News. Though recently, they're so damn heavy-handed with the News+ that most of it is behind a paywall. Nonetheless, they seem to have to most balanced feed of news.

The Googletron seems to just feed you more of the same, making it an echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    That comment about CNN in the rat flu thread got me thinking
    You should stay out of that thread...unless you're curious who here is having a Covid induced emotional meltdown that day.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I have the NYT, WaPo, FoxNews, Reason, National Review, The Atlantic, American Conservative, Heather Cox Richardson, Wall Street Journal, High Country News, and local Denver/Boulder papers in my FB feed. The rest is an occasional visit to the front page of NYT, and all the shit others post in my FB feed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is the High Times still around?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

NPR, NYT, WaPo, Boston Globe, Reuters, Bloomberg, FT, Atlantic, Economist, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, Daily Beast, Guardian, New Yorker, WSJ

I get it from all over and take most of it with a grain of salt these days.

Really love PBS Newshour, BBC World News and Reuters. What I like about PBS is their discussion format and non-hyped reporting style.

I like the way CNN is formatted online for ease of reading headlines and while I post almost exclusively from there I will vet a story against another source before posting because they tend to sensationalize though I will admit sometimes I post just to see how others react/perceive the story if I'm on the fence because I prefer discussion to just taking things as they are written as there are often things I haven't considered/can't see from where I sit.

I don't always agree with the stories the big three choose to cover in their nightly newscasts (Tend to watch NBC. Used to be CBS but I really don't enjoy Nora O'Donnell as the anchor). Seems there are more commericials than news and often times what I'd like to know more about is only a blip on the screen.

<shrug>

I try to balance my news but it's not always easy and these days I lose interest in knowing any of it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Here first then Bloomberg, WaPo, CNN and a smattering of others

Fuck the news.

Head in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.reddit.com/r/all/, where moronic Trump tweets can be pushed off the front page by a sufficiently cute animal video

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. I find the nice thing about a publicly funded broadcaster is that its pretty impartial (publicly funded via tax dollars is very different than PR which is funded by listeners). CBC is not perfect, but if it is being reported there, it's probably not BS. Although there are certainly things that should be reported that they might ignore sometimes. They're analysis and opinion pieces are garbage, i don't fuck with those.

Are you guys super sick of hearing about how awesome Canada is yet.
    27° 18°

Local news from my neighbor. She always seems to know what's going on.

For everything else, it's China Daily, BBC and RT. Sometimes I will read Der Spiegel just to brush up on the German.

It's always good to see how the rest of the world views the USA. Hint: It's not good.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Carrier pigeon, and the queen's town crier for news. Weather from the farmer' almanac of course. Horoscope for Lotto numbers and career decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. I find the nice thing about a publicly funded broadcaster is that its pretty impartial (publicly funded via tax dollars is very different than PR which is funded by listeners). CBC is not perfect, but if it is being reported there, it's probably not BS. Although there are certainly things that should be reported that they might ignore sometimes. They're analysis and opinion pieces are garbage, i don't fuck with those.

Are you guys super sick of hearing about how awesome Canada is yet.
    It's nice to have CBC on satellite radio. I enjoy that and the BBC for some different angles.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

drudge, wapo, wsj, politico, nyt

https://factba.se/topic/twitter if feeling patient

My largest sources are the NYT and Washington Post. I check CNN/Fox News semi-regularly to see how things are being framed for a different audience. I read The Guardian for general soccer news and also end up there pretty regularly via links from other places.

WaPo, NYT, Denver Post, Atlantic, Reuters, AllSides.com, the Twitters- mostly journalists that make sense to me...Greg O’Lear and AngryStaffer are great imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Local news from my neighbor. She always seems to know what's going on.

For everything else, it's China Daily, BBC and RT. Sometimes I will read Der Spiegel just to brush up on the German.

It's always good to see how the rest of the world views the USA. Hint: It's not good.
    Dude, China Daily and RT? China Daily is nice as a study in "Oh, that's the line the CCP wants to feed the world", but I wouldn't want to use it for actual news. What about the SCMP instead of China Daily? Dunno what the alternative to RT would be, but if you want really want to hear from a Russian mouthpiece, might as well just read Pravda and get your browser to translate it.

In addition to Pennysaver, I find that NextDoor is good for understanding why my HOA should be more responsive to my neighbors issues with AirBnB renters.

Also, good source of lost pets to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    It's nice to have CBC on satellite radio. I enjoy that and the BBC for some different angles.
    Same here. With our proximity to Canada we can get CBC Radio over the air in the older car too. Used to have a sub to The Economist back when paper was a thing.