Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blizzard Cochise <> Bonafide

I have a pair of 192 Rustler 11's and am considering adding the 185 Cochise or 187 Bonafide's. Would likely purchase the 2019/2020 version or either, although i like the 24m sidecut on the 2020/2021 Cochise.

I'm 5'10" 190ish and fit.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Sand Yeti

Thanks for stimulating the economy by buying used/old skis!

Cochise is much more of a charger than the Bonafide.
    This 70 year old, semi fit, non-aggressive (pacifist?) skier loves the Bonafide. My 35 year old extremely fit ex ski patrol son loves the Cochise.

Bones feel like a better complement to the Rustlers

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Where are you going to ski them?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Cochise is much more of a charger than the Bonafide.
    This 70 year old, semi fit, non-aggressive (pacifist?) skier loves the Bonafide. My 35 year old extremely fit ex ski patrol son loves the Cochise.
    Yeah, I can hammer through heavier stuff much easier with the Cochise, but I have been riding the BF’s moreso as I am slowing with age.

Tough decision because I have a groomer ski on one end and the R11 on the other. If I didn't have the groomer ski the Bones would be an easy call, if i didn't have the R11 the Cochise would be the call. First world problems. @Banditman the skis will be for SW CO.

Both are great skis. The OG Cochise had a cult following for being a playful charger and very versatile. The last gen was much more one-dimensional...more like a comp ski and was very polarizing. Seems like they tried to re-capture the magic of the OG Cochise with the new iteration, but not too many folks have skied them. I thought I read in the Blizzard thread that our resident factory mag from Blizzard stated that the new Bonafide is the best yet. That’s quite the statement, as the previous models are all pretty amazing skis. Maybe it comes down to Big Mtn versus All Mtn. I’d probably go with the Bones as a compliment to the R11.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Relevant:

Just recently got my Cochises in. Still on the fence between keeping them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skis2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	343743

189 bonifide is more ski then the 185 Cochise. Didn't ski the new 192.

A few companies are starting to not just make the wider skis burlier but make both burly and more approachable skis at each width. The big thing I took away from last demo day was the new blizzard line up each ski is unique. The 189 Bonifide is not just a bigger 183, and the 177 isn't just shorter. They are three different skis.

Blizzard Cochise &lt;&gt; Bonafide

If you were on the east coast I’d say the bonafide just because its a little narrower for the hard snow days. My Cochise and my Corvus don’t play as nice when it’s ice. 95-100mm makes hard snow more manageable then the 108-110.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 10-17-2020 at 06:00 AM.

Blizzard Cochise &lt;&gt; Bonafide

^^^^^This for EC advice....Bones manageable....Cochise overkill, but skiable. I think I read you already have a carver, so Bones fit in the middle better of your quiver.)

Blizzard EC/WC trip quiver (if u wanted a quiver)

-Brahma
    -Bonafide
    -Rustler 11

* Me, I’m too indecisive/cheap to have a quiver...I have 2 pairs and I think that’s too much...I like to just grab, go and deal with it.

EC shop I’m at...we sell a shit ton of Brahmas and Bones....but have a pair of Cochise sitting on wall for 2 years now.
    Last edited by BC.; 10-17-2020 at 06:18 AM.

I'd probably go Brahma and Rustler 11 for East coast skiing. Cochise and Rustler 11 was my resort quiver for CO last year. Cochise isn't a great EC skis. It excels in steep and open terrain. For bumps and trees its manageable (pivots pretty easily) but heavy and dead where something lighter and more responsive works well. Bonafide is obviously hugely popular, but it has always been my least favorite ski in the range.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'd probably go Brahma and Rustler 11 for East coast skiing. Cochise and Rustler 11 was my resort quiver for CO last year. Cochise isn't a great EC skis. It excels in steep and open terrain. For bumps and trees its manageable (pivots pretty easily) but heavy and dead where something lighter and more responsive works well. Bonafide is obviously hugely popular, but it has always been my least favorite ski in the range.
    Don't have experience skiing on snow like the EC much so I can't speak directly to what people gravitate towards on that end of the country. I did learn on ice in the midwest though. From what experience I do have on some various iterations of the Cochise I think many of the points in this thread are pretty spot on. However, 2021 version of the Cochise has some interesting claims as well as some observations that have me raising an eyebrow; at 192, the Cochise claims to have a 26m turn radius, 24m on the 186. Additionally, from hand flexing the ski, the tips and tails both seem to be lighter, as well as have a more dynamic flex pattern (big change from what I've seen in the ski from the past). The ski still maintains a very stiff body underfoot though. Add a 106mm waist and I think you have a fairly versatile ski compared to what the ski has been in the past.

/end 2 cents

Bonafides.

Has anyone been on the Bonafide 97 in 183 and the new Cochise in 185 and can compare? I love the B97 for east coast skiing, except in tight bumps where the tail is a bit much to handle and tight trees where the long effective edge can make quick pivots tough. If the Cochise has a softer flexing tail or is just easier to pivot with a shorter effective edge between the rocker, the Cochise might be a great option for me for west coast skiing and frankly some east coast days too. I do find I like the flex pattern of the mantra 102 more in bumps and that might be the better option for me than the Cochise for west coast mixed condition skiing (on the other hand I like on the snow feel of the feel of the bonafide better), and would like a bit more float than the mantra 102 for the west coast.

For whoever said the bonafide is for 70 year old semi-in shape old skiers (or something like that) - not anymore. Check out the new version. It rips and if you don’t size down, is a lot to handle even for an aggressive skier in good shape (with a correspondingly high performance ceiling). Definitely a much more impressive ski than the last version.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    For whoever said the bonafide is for 70 year old semi-in shape old skiers (or something like that) - not anymore. Check out the new version. It rips and if you don’t size down, is a lot to handle even for an aggressive skier in good shape (with a correspondingly high performance ceiling). Definitely a much more impressive ski than the last version.
    +1

I haven't owned an alpine ski under 180 since I was in middle school, thought the 183 Bonafide 97 felt like a tank, and got the 177 - the ski rips, no real speed limit, carves like mad, and makes you feel like a hero.

Edit to add: Bonafide plus Rustler 11 makes more sense to me . . . coincidentally it's what I own.
    Last edited by gregL; 03-04-2021 at 08:47 AM.

skied the 183 bonifide yesterday (5'10, 210lb) on some sunny and soft groomers and it makes big mountains small

I liked the cochise for when the pow aint pow anymore, I picked up a pair of used 185 red & blue which is about the right length for 165lb
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So the 189 will be discounted soon enough eh. I have the 2018 bone in a 187. It’s one of my favorites, but everyone says that’s the watered down gen. I find it pretty stout. Maybe I’m not man enough for the new 97.

I’d also pair the r11 with a 🦴 over the Cochise, but would like to get on the new Cochise one day. The on3p wren has held down the 108 spot in my quiv for years. Just click with that ski

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    So the 189 will be discounted soon enough eh. I have the 2018 bone in a 187. It’s one of my favorites, but everyone says that’s the watered down gen. I find it pretty stout. Maybe I’m not man enough for the new 97.

I’d also pair the r11 with a 🦴 over the Cochise, but would like to get on the new Cochise one day. The on3p wren has held down the 108 spot in my quiv for years. Just click with that ski
    There was no “watered down” gen... if anything the first gen was the easiest. The 2018 got carbon reinforcement in the tips and tails. For some reason people thought the carbon replaced the metal and wood... it was added carbon on top of the two sheets of metal that already were there. And honestly it made the ski better on groomers but much more unforgiving off trail.

As I said in the other post the 189 Bonafides that people skied last spring weren’t quite done. The ones that were produced for delivery in the fall are considerably better. The B97 is heavier and has less rocker than the previous generation so there’s much more surface area in the snow. New 183 is much closer to what the 187 was and the 189 is almost more like a 191 honestly. Biggest difference is the core in the new skis. It’s much more substantial than the previous model. They feel a lot more stable at speed and more connected to the snow but in my opinion when they’re tuned right they are much more forgiving off trail, especially in steep variable snow. The tips and tails on these are designed to be a lot more forgiving and it’s much easier to maintain your balance than on the old skis. For how stable they are and how fast you can go it‘a shocking to me how much easier they are in bumps, crud, steeper terrain.

Here's a 189 w shop edition topsheet... Not my sale

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/...284364943.html

Thanks for that explanation Wasatchback.

Damn, I want those bry. Wondering if those shop editions are the final version of the ski?
    Edit: I may have just secured those
    Last edited by klauss; 03-05-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    There was no “watered down” gen... if anything the first gen was the easiest. The 2018 got carbon reinforcement in the tips and tails. For some reason people thought the carbon replaced the metal and wood... it was added carbon on top of the two sheets of metal that already were there. And honestly it made the ski better on groomers but much more unforgiving off trail.

As I said in the other post the 189 Bonafides that people skied last spring weren’t quite done. The ones that were produced for delivery in the fall are considerably better. The B97 is heavier and has less rocker than the previous generation so there’s much more surface area in the snow. New 183 is much closer to what the 187 was and the 189 is almost more like a 191 honestly. Biggest difference is the core in the new skis. It’s much more substantial than the previous model. They feel a lot more stable at speed and more connected to the snow but in my opinion when they’re tuned right they are much more forgiving off trail, especially in steep variable snow. The tips and tails on these are designed to be a lot more forgiving and it’s much easier to maintain your balance than on the old skis. For how stable they are and how fast you can go it‘a shocking to me how much easier they are in bumps, crud, steeper terrain.
    Mounted on the line?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Thanks for that explanation Wasatchback.

Damn, I want those bry. Wondering if those shop editions are the final version of the ski?
    Edit: I may have just secured those
    Remembered you mentioning it earlier in this thread or another. Hope it works out.