Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^^ sick line. Was great out there yesterday
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Such a Minty day. Was stoked the trees went without 2 much issue as the forest always looks so intimidating on that line but honestly didn't feel any harder then when I skied it mid Jan a few years ago. So many lines to ski on those 2 peaks i'll definitely be back up once theres a bit more coverage.

Quality!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7294.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	350524
    Fully featured early season conditions at Kootenay Pass, skiing better than it looks.

^^ Looks Dongerful.

Kokanee vs Ymir?

Not sure about anywhere else but the monashees around here are going to be fucked for a while. 1" thick ice crust in place yesterday. Snowed last night but she will be spicier then rubbing your eye with a jalapeno for the next bit I think.

Care to elaborate on what you call "next bit"?

Sent from my Anbox using Tapatalk

Like the next week with more snow load. Will be something to keep an eye all winter as well. I have a pic from a buddy I will try and load. Seriously a inch thick and solid ice, not a temp crust.

edit: saw a MIN report from mt hall and same crust there. Sounds pretty widespread.
    Last edited by el hefe; 12-09-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Not the best pic but you can see its straight ice and buddy in the back is holding a big chunk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201209_152837.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	352083

Fuck this might impact my season more than covid

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Ice crust present to the top of the Stoke at RMR. It skied better than I expected with the 5 or so cm that fell on it overnight.

Damn that crust looks nasty!

We got lucky here. Rain only went to about 1200m, but the crew out yesterday found 20cm of upside-down snow from 1200m to treeline at least. Great sledding until you stopped on any incline, or roosted into the sugar below. My sled comes back from the shop this weekend. The season can now officially start

Just thinking about this crust a bit more. I am pretty sure this is a similar scenario that resulted in the "turbo hill" or big iron shoot out hill climb burials way back??? That was in late jan or feb i think? Sorry random thoughts from my phone so can't reference. I just remember getting into cell service from skiing and a few buddies are in health care in Vernon and right away they were like Holy shit mass burials. Was a scary day. Wifes were freaking and peaking.

Don't want to seem too alarmist but have lost a good friend to an unexpected slide in a "safe area". How about we all report on this ice rink throughout the year?

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Just thinking about this crust a bit more. I am pretty sure this is a similar scenario that resulted in the "turbo hill" or big iron shoot out hill climb burials way back??? That was in late jan or feb i think? Sorry random thoughts from my phone so can't reference. I just remember getting into cell service from skiing and a few buddies are in health care in Vernon and right away they were like Holy shit mass burials. Was a scary day. Wifes were freaking and peaking.
    Yes it was surface hour on top of a buried ice crust then windloaded drifts to add to the sandwich.

Just thinking about this crust a bit more. I am pretty sure this is a similar scenario that resulted in the "turbo hill" or big iron shoot out hill climb burials way back???
    Similar scenario to 2003 too

https://thepowdercloud.com/learn/ava...n-rain-crusts/

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Great read thanks!

Southern monashees have about 1/2 the snow of malakwa area. Not really surprising. Ice crust kicked in around 1700m and faceted and hollow/rotten underneath with 15cm of blower on top. Needs a few more bit storms before I go back.

Ice crust kicked in around 1700m and faceted and hollow/rotten underneath...
    yikes...
    Master of mediocrity.

The Boulder avalanche happened in mid-March. It was on a bluebird day that followed a big storm after a long dry spell. Here's the preliminary report: https://www.avalanche-center.org/Inc...canada-caa.pdf. It says the failure was on surface hoar.

Rogers Pass skied nicely on Saturday. There was 15-20cm of blower pow over a crust on solar aspects, but no crust on shaded aspects. It was busy and there were some bold lines being skied.

Rogers Pass is certainly busy. The Asulkan parking was completely full at 8:30 am on Saturday, although I wonder if that might be partly due to less car sharing. Never seen so many skiers parked at the brake check (Corbin Pass) before.
    Last edited by nickinbc; 12-14-2020 at 11:33 AM.

I'm guessing everybody here is aware of this already, but Douglas Sproul's new Rogers Pass guidebook is in the kickstarter phase of things. It's likely cheaper to buy now than it will be to pick up retail later.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=creator_nav
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

Deep week skiing in the Purcells- Just an fyi-Pretty spicy with those layers. Ski cut out at least a half dozen avalanches eventually just totally backing off and heading home....keep your stick on the ice out there...