Page 56 of 122 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3042
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Its called the Arctic Circle and if carrying a shot gun, it will not loaded with birdshot; likely SSG or a solid slug. In any event bear spray is more effective than a firearm for among other reasons, with bear spray you don't actually need to have accurate aim.
    Yes, Arctic circle.

And i doubt that bear spray is effective what 3a polar bear.

Anyway, guides must carry a shotgun by law above the Arctic circle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Bear spray is found to be very effective against all north american bear, including polar bear. While the actual number of cases examined are small with regards to polar bear, in both sample cases, it was 100% effective. Efficacy for black and brown (grizzly) bear are much more extensively studied and is effective in >95% of cases examined. Firearms are nowhere near as effective in those same case reviews (it's about as effective as carrying nothing at all but your wits), and at least one of the individuals if not both usually becomes dead.

wandering up narth or for almost 25 years on 16 and 97 the main roads into the bush or where you see people going into the bush I really didn't see many guns

but I did see a lot of bearspray, carried it myself, easy to buy easy to carry and anyone is allowed to carry, it fits on belt or in a cruiser vest easily no license needed

I think carrying a defender in a sling with a few shells on your back and the time you need it is when you left it with the gear, cuz its unwieldy

i think I only ever seen a defender once when buddy was taking it into his home in town after a shift in the bush
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    I think it's a Toronto thing (it is the center of the universe after all) like when the Raptors (basketball? I think?) going all "Canada's team' and "we the north" BS and the Leafs when they make the first round of the NHL playoffs.
    You equate fans in the west cheering for the Jays with the old centre of the universe trope? That's some fucked up bitter logic right there.

someone has a serious case of wexit i guess.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Heard on the news that New Zealand has suspended quarantine-free travel with Australia.

Let's set bets on just how short an opening of the Canada - US border we see? I'll bet it shuts down again in November when we're slammed with a 4th (or 5th or whatever number we're at) wave.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Bear spray is found to be very effective against all north american bear, including polar bear. While the actual number of cases examined are small with regards to polar bear, in both sample cases, it was 100% effective. Efficacy for black and brown (grizzly) bear are much more extensively studied and is effective in >95% of cases examined. Firearms are nowhere near as effective in those same case reviews (it's about as effective as carrying nothing at all but your wits), and at least one of the individuals if not both usually becomes dead.
    Good to know. Thanks BCMH
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Only argument I have heard against bear spray is it’s effectiveness in the wind. I think I would end up carrying both.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    someone has a serious case of wexit i guess.
    nope, just a serious case of Toronto is an armpit of the country, Montreal being the other one
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

You Canadians don't have your bear spray rail mounted on your AR? How the hell have you guys survived this long?

All my drive bys i spray! Bear spray holmes!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

nope, just a serious case of Toronto is an armpit of the country, Montreal being the other one
    Yes Montreal is horrible. Stay away, you’ll hate it. Absolutely nothing good here.

I swear to god it’s an out of province licence plate invasion in the city right now. The skate park is over run with ontarien bmxers and adult scooterers
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Yes Montreal is horrible. Stay away, you’ll hate it. Absolutely nothing good here.

I swear to god it’s an out of province licence plate invasion in the city right now. The skate park is over run with ontarien bmxers and adult scooterers
    20 years of 4 visits a year you don't have to uninvite me
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

you didn’t like the sk8 parc?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

20 years of 4 visits a year you don't have to uninvite me
    Oh man! You’re as local as Benny
    27° 18°

He's still mad at Pierre Trudeau for the metrification of Canada in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post

Yer mtb trails are looking mighty tempting right now lol

The best protection in grizzly bear country is to bring a slow friend.

A lot of discussion of firearms as bear defence goes back to the paper "Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska" (2012). The overall success rate (avoiding injury) was 85% and was the same for people who discharged their firearms and those that didn't. Most of the time the bear's going to leave you alone after you poop your pants.

A total of 444 people were involved in 269 incidents. At least 357 bears, including dependent offspring, were involved in 269 incidents, including 300 brown bears (84%), 36 black bears (10%), 6 polar bears (2%), and 15 of unknown species (4%). Bear-inflicted injuries occurred in 151 of 269 (56%) incidents (see Supplemental Information available online at www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com for additional details regarding characteristics of bear incidents).

Success rates by firearm type were similar with 84% of handgun users (31 of 37) and 76% of long gun users (134 of 176) successfully defending themselves from aggressive
    bears (Z ¼ 1.0664, P ¼ 0.2862). When we compared outcomes for people who used their firearm in an aggressive bear encounter (n ¼ 229) to those who had firearms but did not
    use them (n ¼ 40), we found no difference in the outcome (G2 ¼ 0.691, P ¼ 0.708), whether the outcome was no injury, injury, or fatality.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    The best protection in grizzly bear country is to bring a slow friend.
    . [/I]
    I would disagree. I'd say make lots of noise. Its certainly worked for me, and though I'm not a forestry pro or a prospector, I've got my share of miles in Bear country. Only had to charge a Griz once.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I would disagree. I'd say make lots of noise. Its certainly worked for me, and though I'm not a forestry pro or a prospector, I've got my share of miles in Bear country. Only had to charge a Griz once.
    This post is confirmation that u scared tf out of him when he seen you charge

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I wonder what he charged him eh

and where does a Bar carry money ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Boy am I glad the US is putting the health of their citizens first, and not just trying to make a buck, by keeping Canadians out of this country until August 21. Don't want to overwhelm our hospitals. With the variant spreading, I think Aug 21, 2022 sounds like a good time to allow Canadians to come back in. Sorry.

There's one thing I'm still fuzzy on and that's the quarantine plan requirement. As of now, anyone entering Canada needs a quarantine plan (i.e. where they will isolate for 14 days if they test positive). You need to file this quarantine plan and the border agents can deny your entry if the plan isn't satisfactory. However, entering Canada by land only requires proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test within 72 hours of entry and only random people will be tested upon entry. The only reasonable quarantine plan for most people entering from the U.S. would be to turn around and go home if they test positive, but is that a valid plan? By any reasonable measure it should be, but reasonable and government agencies aren't always two things that go together. Entering by air is a different scenario since they're probably not going to put someone who just tested positive on an airplane (I hope).

I really hope this gets clarified before the border opens on August 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Boy am I glad the US is putting the health of their citizens first, and not just trying to make a buck, by keeping Canadians out of this country until August 21. Don't want to overwhelm our hospitals. With the variant spreading, I think Aug 21, 2022 sounds like a good time to allow Canadians to come back in. Sorry.
    But the Aug 21 date also applies to Mexico so the US is opening up a border that has vac rates in the teens that last time I looked. Doesn't seem smart but very political.

Plus its still up in the air whether those people entering on the 21st will need to be vaccinated or show proof of vac. Canada should not allow Canadians to leave if they have not been vaccinated.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    But the Aug 21 date also applies to Mexico so the US is opening up a border that has vac rates in the teens that last time I looked. Doesn't seem smart but very political.
    Hold on. No one said the border will open on August 21st. That's the earliest it could possibly open, but it's not a given right now. I'm also not sure why there's an assumption that both the Canadian and Mexican border would need to open at the same time.