Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3042
    Im surprised theyre even testing now. Its like it never happened here in NB(kentucky of the north)
    Just saving it to fuck with the shady looking characters i guess

ie mtbers

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Got popped for a random test going north through roosville. I'm entirely impressed at what a mess that process is.
    Shoulda tossed it in the garbage.

Here's a question... not really expecting an answer since it's specific to business travel, but what the hell:

I'm traveling to BC in July to run Chasing Epic trips in Revelstoke; everything is setup as an interprovincial corporation, I'm legal to work in BC, etc. However, the shortest route for me to drive from CO takes me through Alberta, passing by Calgary before heading west on the Trans-Canada Highway. Looks like it saves about 90 minutes. Is it an issue entering through Alberta, when I'm only allowed/permitted to work in BC? I don't want to get to the border and have some pissed-off border agent tell me I need to enter in BC, and have to drive 5 hours out of the way.

When I saw your your post my first thought was there is no way it should take that much longer to go via BC than Calgary. In fact I was surprised that Calgary was not slower

I plugged Denver to Revelstoke into google maps and the suggested route came up via Calgary at 21 hours 49 minutes. I did a drag and drop of the route near helena to seeley lake and the time dropped to 21 hours 8 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Here's a question... not really expecting an answer since it's specific to business travel, but what the hell:

I'm traveling to BC in July to run Chasing Epic trips in Revelstoke; everything is setup as an interprovincial corporation, I'm legal to work in BC, etc. However, the shortest route for me to drive from CO takes me through Alberta, passing by Calgary before heading west on the Trans-Canada Highway. Looks like it saves about 90 minutes. Is it an issue entering through Alberta, when I'm only allowed/permitted to work in BC? I don't want to get to the border and have some pissed-off border agent tell me I need to enter in BC, and have to drive 5 hours out of the way.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I don't see how Canada would care if you enter via Alberta en route to BC to legally work, particularly since that is the fastest path from your home in the US (which can be verified by your driver's license). Even without the work visa, you can enter anywhere you want in Canada and legally stay for 6 months on a tourist visa.

Border guards have wide discretion to deny anyone for any reason. So they can always fuck with you if you want. I have a friend with no criminal history of any kind who was heading to Canada for a few months to climb in the summer and was denied because her Subaru was too chock full of shit (dirt bag climber living out of their car look) and they thought she was some bohemian gypsy who was going to overstay her visa and live up there for awhile. She went home, cleaned up her and her car's appearance, and went back the next day and got in.

Another person had a work visa to work at a summer camp in BC but had a DUI reduced to Negligent Driving 1st (the lowest charge that people get their DUIs reduced to here in WA, which isn't supposed to get you denied under Canada law). She was denied. She's an attractive female and just went back the next day with her shirt unbuttoned a bit lower and was able to get in (different border entrance, we have lots to chose from north of Bellingham).

To make the crossing smoother, don't bring any produce or alcohol and obviously anything else that is illegal to bring into Canada.

If there is a Canadian Embassy or some similar Canadian Government office in Denver, I would ask them if your B.C. work visa allows you to enter Canada via Alberta.

What's the deal with ArriveCan? I started to create profile on their website cause I wanted to be ready as I live about 25 miles from the Quebec frontier. I got to the part where they are asking for CC digits and stopped. What would I be paying for? Processing fee? Never used to cost money to cross the border.

i don’t recall anything about a credit card number, maybe try the phone app?

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    i don’t recall anything about a credit card number, maybe try the phone app?

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html
    Thanks. I'll check out the app version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    What's the deal with ArriveCan? I started to create profile on their website cause I wanted to be ready as I live about 25 miles from the Quebec frontier. I got to the part where they are asking for CC digits and stopped. What would I be paying for? Processing fee? Never used to cost money to cross the border.
    Yeah, that sounds suspicious. Are you sure it was the official site? Anytime I look up something about passports, etc. I see lots of commercial sites posing as official government sites.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinfat View Post
    When I saw your your post my first thought was there is no way it should take that much longer to go via BC than Calgary. In fact I was surprised that Calgary was not slower

I plugged Denver to Revelstoke into google maps and the suggested route came up via Calgary at 21 hours 49 minutes. I did a drag and drop of the route near helena to seeley lake and the time dropped to 21 hours 8 minutes.
    I live north of Boulder... if I take the route through Calgary, it shows it being 90 minutes faster than going through Whitefish and Invermere, BC.

I agree that they won't care you're traveling thought Alberta

When i just did it it showed the basic 93 north route as 20 minutes longer than the calgary route. When i dragged the calgary route over to helena then result was 13 minutes faster than through calgary.
    Regardless, I live in Whitefish, was in Calgary last weekend and know all the roads in the region. If you avoid Calgary you will pay less for gas and drive faster with less BS. Less stress too. My general theory is to do as much of the drive in the states as possible, generally quicker, cheaper and less traffic.

Last November three highways were wiped out -- Highways 1, 3 & 5 -- cutting off Vancouver from the rest of Canada. They're under construction and mostly open but google directions still won't use Hwy 5 which leads to nonsensical instructions.

I'm just pointing out that google directions may not use a road for real or perceived reasons. It's usually makes good choices but "usually" isn't "always".

You can use drivebc.ca to check road conditions in BC.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Agreed, however in the case i listed Google seems to agree with my experience that entering at Roosville is much preferred to entry east of the divide, esp with all the construction

On a work visa you will have less issues travelling through BC port of entry. Living in Banff Canmore area any one i know that needs to renew their visa goes down through rooseville into the USA and returns there..much less hassle. The coutts border crossing in Alberta is generally a bit of fuckery. Splitting hairs is I'd the road up through whitefish. Also the amount of construction through Calgary and east of Canmore will negate any savings in time.

Canada Closed until US Gets Covid 19 Under Control

Yeah, did a border crossing last week and never needed a CC for anything. ArriveCan just needed my vax info, and to scan my passport.

I didn’t get stopped for a test and my entry/exit was really smooth. This was through Buffalo, so other side of the country, though.

I was on a loaded down motorcycle and the guy said “what are you doing in Canada?” I said going to see the Blue Jays, and he said, “why?”

Could be wrong but I don't think there is an ArriveCan website where you can enter your info. You need the mobile app on your phone. And definitely no cc needed.

Work permits at that level are generally sponsored provincially, but issued federally. The border guards are federal and won't give a fuck. They never did about any of mine. However, as some people mentioned, specific crossings are a bit crankier than others. It's a total hit and a miss, and a new month means new rotations for most guards so who knows.

Use the app. There is no cc required for anything. You're getting scammed old man!

Quote Originally Posted by gettinfat View Post
    When i just did it it showed the basic 93 north route as 20 minutes longer than the calgary route. When i dragged the calgary route over to helena then result was 13 minutes faster than through calgary.
    Regardless, I live in Whitefish, was in Calgary last weekend and know all the roads in the region. If you avoid Calgary you will pay less for gas and drive faster with less BS. Less stress too. My general theory is to do as much of the drive in the states as possible, generally quicker, cheaper and less traffic.
    OK, good to know... thank you!

I have a bit more available time to make the drive than I originally thought too, so I'll take your advice and head through BC to enter Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Could be wrong but I don't think there is an ArriveCan website where you can enter your info. You need the mobile app on your phone. And definitely no cc needed.
    No, there is. I've always used the non-mobile website.

Random testing is back at airports. If you fail you have to go to a hotel room by yourself for 10 days at your own expense. If you can't afford that, you go to a government quarantine facility. Both government monitored.

I used to think it would be awesome to live in Canadia. Not any more.

Was the random testing ever officially gone?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Was the random testing ever officially gone?
    I don’t think so. It was a thing when I crossed last month

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMountainSkier View Post
    I used to think it would be awesome to live in Canadia. Not any more.
    you are going to base that belief on a federal employee keeping canadians safe from diseased americans ?

Isnt that a positive thing if you lived on the Canadian side ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-22-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know